What size chainring is good on 1x10?

Craigwt

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 32T on my 1x9, and my legs cope ok. I'm not riding long distances though. I just ride in loops up and down as much single track as possible, usually 2 - 3 hours worth.

Edited by Nick.

you left out his

- name

- Marital status

- Cell No

There fixed :ph34r: :lol:

guys, he rides an easier gear ratio than I.....that is already a sign it wont work, so no need for all the other questions..

guys, he rides an easier gear ratio than I.....that is already a sign it wont work, so no need for all the other questions..

hahaha!

Suddenly the demand on 42T single rings goes up :ph34r: :lol:

hahaha!

Suddenly the demand on 42T single rings goes up :ph34r: :lol:

Was just gonna say I won't be mentioning mine again any time soon :eek:

Im riding a 38T

Stand in line Ladies :thumbup:

Yes that is a lot of elevation for the short distances, are you riding enduro courses?

According to me your physical condition says you can keep the 34 and just try a bit harder now, it will get easier.

That's just the way our trails are I guess.

Thanks all... guess I'll keep at it with the 34 :)

34T should be fine. Been doing some research myself and also thinking of going to a 34T on a 1x10 soon. I must just train a bit harder.

PS: I ride a 52T (on my road bike)

Craig, 34 is what I ride. Tokai, delvera and contermans. 11-36 at the back. You get used to it!

Plus I just went for my first ride in 5 weeks with the gammy knee. No protest from the knee except when I pushed off with it.

Craig, 34 is what I ride. Tokai, delvera and contermans. 11-36 at the back. You get used to it!

Plus I just went for my first ride in 5 weeks with the gammy knee. No protest from the knee except when I pushed off with it.

Sweet, good to know :) ... I was planning on investing in a proper narrow wide ring so that I can get rid of this noisy chain guide... So I wanted to make sure... I think I might stick with the chain guide for another couple of rides...

The chain is rubbing the guide when in the easiest gear... super annoying :angry:

Sweet, good to know :) ... I was planning on investing in a proper narrow wide ring so that I can get rid of this noisy chain guide... So I wanted to make sure... I think I might stick with the chain guide for another couple of rides...

The chain is rubbing the guide when in the easiest gear... super annoying :angry:

An easy & cheap fix for that - stick a bit of the fluffy side of a length of velcro on the inside of the guide. It gets rid of the rubbing noise...

• 2 weeks later...

I know my reply is a bit late, but I also opted for a 34T x 10 (36-11) on my Cotic BFe (26") & I have to admit that the first ride was the toughest.

If you have an easier gear then chances are you will use it & 'never' get out of your comfort zone.

The body just needs to be 'shocked'. Next time it (your body) knows what's coming & it won't be that bad as the first time.

Stick with the 34T. You will get fitter faster sticking with it rather than trying to become fitter using your other bike with lower gear ratios.

Hats off to you Peach for riding a 38T :thumbup:

But Miss Earth

You push up all the climbs.....The is photographic evidence thereof.

Craig

I ride 32t on a 1x9 setup with a 34x11t cassette. This works well with lots of climbing involved. A 34t ring with a top 36t on your cassette should be good.

The above is on a 26er 160mm travel duallie that weighs in at 15.6kg and with heavy slow rolling tyres

Edited by Hairy