What size chainring is good on 1x10?

Craigwt

I sometimes (i normally run a 30T wolftooth) run a 32T wolftooth on my 2x10 raceface turbine crankset. I have had no issues with chain line at all.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got a an XT 2x10 crankset which I'm going to be using for a 1x10 conversion.

The outer ring is 104BCD so I believe that you can just bolt on the desired chainring, which in my case is a RaceFace narrow wide 34t.

With this configuration, the chain line may not be optimal, especially when on the big back cog. Is it better to put in spacers between the spider and the chainring to shift the chainline across slightly?

Is see that for the 30t chainring the chainline will be shifted across slightly to the left by design of the chainring because the chain wouldn't otherwise be able to clear the spider.

I'd be keen to hear from others who have set up 1x10 using a 2x10 crankset if they have felt it necessary to do anything like this.

I run mine on a 2x XT crank where the big ring would be (the 104bcd spot) without any hassles. No where else to put it really?...

Hi guys, looking for a 30 or 32 tooth, 104 bcd narrow wide chain ring. Either raceface or wolf tooth will be fine, anybody have one spare or know of 1 for sale?

Thanks

Hi guys, looking for a 30 or 32 tooth, 104 bcd narrow wide chain ring. Either raceface or wolf tooth will be fine, anybody have one spare or know of 1 for sale?

Thanks

evobikes have in stock.

• 2 weeks later...

Anybody have any experience with the Lee daisy 1x10 chainrings CWCycles sell?

Can't find any online reviews. Basically the same a the wolftooth I think usinh th longer teeth as opposed to the narrow wide method.

Guest Omega Man

Is it better to put in spacers between the spider and the chainring to shift the chainline across slightly?

I had to put in spacers to improve my chainline but only after I put an aftermarket 38 on the back.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

So a bit of a hijack but close enough to this topic...

I'm in the process of building up a 1X10 - 32t chainring with 11-36 cassette.

I'm looking at different options around rear derailleurs would like to find a way to incorporate a short cage road derailleur into the build instead of going with medium cage XTR Shadow. Reason for this is the weight and price saving as well as the added ground clearance.

I know most the short cage derailleurs have enough total tooth capacity to support it but do you know of any (or any way) that will be able to reach the 36t cog?

Hey guys,

I'm looking at different options around rear derailleurs would like to find a way to incorporate a short cage road derailleur into the build instead of going with medium cage XTR Shadow. Reason for this is the weight and price saving as well as the added ground clearance.

I know most the short cage derailleurs have enough total tooth capacity to support it but do you know of any (or any way) that will be able to reach the 36t cog?

Funnily enough, I'm looking at going the other way on my CX bike. I currently have an Ultegra short cage road derailleur with a 11-25 and I want to put on an 11-36 cassette with an MTB RD because the Ultegra doesn't have enough tooth capacity for the 36 (or so I'm led to believe).

Funnily enough, I'm looking at going the other way on my CX bike. I currently have an Ultegra short cage road derailleur with a 11-25 and I want to put on an 11-36 cassette with an MTB RD because the Ultegra doesn't have enough tooth capacity for the 36 (or so I'm led to believe).

yeah, in the reading up I did i saw quite a few guys going that route on their CX bikes.

Anybody have any experience with the Lee daisy 1x10 chainrings CWCycles sell?

Can't find any online reviews. Basically the same a the wolftooth I think usinh th longer teeth as opposed to the narrow wide method.

Mine will arrive today and will hopefully give feedback after the weekend... :thumbup:

Mine will arrive today and will hopefully give feedback after the weekend... :thumbup:

Thanks buddy, went ahead and ordered one. mine arrives Monday so hope its decent. No reviews whatsoever that I could find!!!

Now to find a 40T rear chainring to help out on the steep stuff...........

Hey guys,

Zee derailer all the way. Short cage, can handle a 36t and the benefit of a clutch.

800km of rough terrain, normal 36t zee chainring, no chain keeper and not one chain drop.

Edited by jcmeyerSS

Thanks buddy, went ahead and ordered one. mine arrives Monday so hope its decent. No reviews whatsoever that I could find!!!

Now to find a 40T rear chainring to help out on the steep stuff...........

Hope will be bringing out a 40t rear chainring later in the year.

Zee derailer all the way. Short cage, can handle a 36t and the benefit of a clutch.

800km of rough terrain, normal 36t zee chainring, no chain keeper and not one chain drop.

I was looking at the Zee, only a few grams heavier but at a fraction of the cost of an XTR.

Would still like to see if I can go the road derailleur route, new SRAM Rival WiFLi or Force WiFLi have up to a recommended 32t chainring but look like with adjustments should be able to take at least a 34... and a 1:1 pull ratio so interchangeable with new Shimano parts too. Just need to find one now.