SHOX or FOX

frederik29er

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a new fork. Budget is R5k-R6k on BuyCycle. Currently i am looking at a Reba or SID 29er (if I can get a good deal on one).

To date I haven't really lookied at the Fox range, don't know why but they do not really catch my attention as much as RockShox do. From what I have heard I must go full out for the RockShox and avoid Fox.

If anyone could recommend which one I should look at it would be much appreciated.

Please also enlighten me with the main differences between the two.

Regards

I dont find the F32RL on my Trance as nice as the RS Reba on my previous bike.

It feels 'sticky' on the first bit of travel and when I have some money thats going to be replaced with a RS.

I swear my Epicon feels better! And it appears (with mine anyway) that the Fox needs more TLC!

I think RS is a better option as well for home servicing.

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a new fork. Budget is R5k-R6k on BuyCycle. Currently i am looking at a Reba or SID 29er (if I can get a good deal on one).

To date I haven't really lookied at the Fox range, don't know why but they do not really catch my attention as much as RockShox do. From what I have heard I must go full out for the RockShox and avoid Fox.

If anyone could recommend which one I should look at it would be much appreciated.

Please also enlighten me with the main differences between the two.

Regards

I feel the same about RockShox, the Fox just don't catch my attention, even though I've heard that the Fox shocks is better.

I would go for the Shox...

For the same level of tech / performance in the FOX, you'll pay on average 25-50% more than you would pay for a RS fork.

Plus, I don't like their CTD settings - takes all the fun out of being able to set everything yourself.

Ont eh SID vs REBA - go for the REBA. Same fork, just more solid. The weight saving on the SID seems to go a little too far and offers a harsher ride than the Reba. Reba is also cheaper!

For the same level of tech / performance in the FOX, you'll pay on average 25-50% more than you would pay for a RS fork.

Plus, I don't like their CTD settings - takes all the fun out of being able to set everything yourself.

Ont eh SID vs REBA - go for the REBA. Same fork, just more solid. The weight saving on the SID seems to go a little too far and offers a harsher ride than the Reba. Reba is also cheaper!

Love my Reba and a doddle to service @ home

For the average rider I wouldn't think that there would be too much of a noticeable difference between the two brands if set up correctly.

Just know that with Fox you will pay more on maintenance and if you don't keep the stanctions clean, they do scuff up and create sticktion. I suppose you could also go the Kashima route which is less likely to get scuffed.

Dankie tog smaak verskil ne.

I much prefer to have Fox under me when the going gets ruff than RS.

I find Fox to be stiffer when things are smoothish but when it starts to work it has a nice linear response that enables me to use a lot more travel than an RS.

Tis my opinion based on my experience.

Oh and servicing Fox is definitely not brain surgery.

Used to be a real Fox fan pre 2013 CTD. My RL's and RLC performed well and still do.

Last year I bought a Specialized Stumpjumper FSR 29r that came with a 2013 FOX 32 130mm CTD FIT. Feels like a noodle under those big wheels when the going gets rough and turns are tight. Dives under braking. Climb mode uses 50% of the travel when standing out of the saddle. Problem with the Climb mode is that there is no adjustment like they used to have on the RL and RLC. If you are a bigger (90kg+) rider then I would steer clear of Fox and CTD as climb mode is a slightly stiffer trail mode. I have sent multiple emails to their head office in the USA asking technical questions and have been met with absolute silence. I think their servers around the world put all emails with a "2103" in it in the spam box.

Also had the fork in for a service in Switzerland and it came back with a white crown as a warranty repair. I sent it back and have been waiting for a black crown now for over 2 months. Terrible service from Fox. Also mailed the local (SA) dealer to hear about a solution for when I come back to Cape Town in December. Nothing. They must have the same spam filter.

They also had a lot of failures on their Open Bath Dampers(Evolution series) on their 2013 CTD.

So I would suggest RS, if only to save yourself from a lot of trouble, heartache and money.

Sorry for the long winded rant but it had to come out.

On a fox for the first time, and I like it more than the reba. The lockout is much better and even though the first bit of travel can be a bit more rough, when you on a trail where you need travel the fox provides. Feels more solid but that can be cause of a few factors.

Good choice. Which REBA you going for, if I may ask? RL? RLT? RLT Ti?

That is stil what I have to decide, what would you recommend?

Edited by frederik29er

Agree here, the Reba is a much more comfortable shock than the SID. I have a SID on my Anthem at the moment, had the Dual Air Reba. But if I were to replace it one day, it will be with a REBA, no question. Not sure if it was the dual vs single air too, but the dual air Reba was very nice.

Edited by dee_biker

Rockshox are winning at the moment. Unfortunately they'll never quite be as plush as Fox (well, not up to 2013 anyways) but as far as value, maintenance costs and durability go they're miles ahead.

Maxumis, I take it you're talking lowers service and not damper rebuilds. Lowers on Fox and RS are much the same, but strip a FIT CTD damper and you'll change your tune, I assure you.

Reba RLT TK would get my vote, or Reba XX if you want something with remote lockout. The hydraulic Xloc kicks the cable operated version completely out of the park.

Edited by droo