SanParks lock the gate at the back of Plum Pudding

ABastard

If Parks actually built trail for mtbers I think we owe someone a Bells and if the trail is actually a little technical we should make it a double. As far as the need for manicured trail and signs telling you that you are riding single track go … I am having a bit of a Chopper Read reaction to that.

Edited by Lefty V

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

DJR, Pappa Bear, you're misinformed. SanParks did build the single track.

If SANParks built that, I'd be totally delighted, because that would truly be a first!

(OK, I feel less grumpy after a 6 hr ride)

See, I even edited my early morning post.

Edited by DJR

If you can't ride it, get off walk, study the trail and pick a good line next time. Or even session the spot until you get it right. You'll feel a great sense of satisfaction when you finally do it. At least, that is how I approach difficult trails.

It also takes time and effort to make a trail. Resources are not always available to cater for everyone's ability.

I'm actually excited to hear there is some legal 'technical' trail on Table Mountain. I haven't done the single track above their offices, must go check it out. Below the offices is fun but pretty straightforward.

Lastly, is it difficult to lift your bike over the fence? South African's are well skilled at jumping fences ;) Different gate, and maybe lower, but many people do it to get on the mountain before the gates are opened in the morning.

Edited by Nick.

What do other cyclists think about the latest SanPark move to lock the gate at Mount Pleasant Foresty station before Rhodes Mem, blocking the road acccss to Plum Pudding? Yes, they've built a new single track but you need to be relatively accomplsihed to ride this rock-garden track and I've seen several new and intemediate MTBers struggle on this dangerus track.

Is it right to build dangerous tracks without a options for an easier route?

Is it appropriate to make acess only for experienced riders?

Surely, Sanparks would never do this to walkers?

Views?

Am i Mistaken, or isnt this the 4th time this same topic came up,posted by the same person?

Just asking... :whistling:

Jeepers.. if you cant ride it then push your bike..if you dont want to push..then get yourself a road bike or try and ride technical and you will actually enjoy it

ABastard

First, name change please.

Second, refrain from multiple postings of the same topic till you get a response.

And topics merged.

jeez, the level of the sense of entitlement astounds me.

someone built a trail that is free to ride, that cost us (mountainbikers) nothing to build and you moan about it. it seems that you feel that something needs to be done about this situation, that it is an issue? as if you feel hard done by the fact that the gate is closed and you now have to step up to ride the alternative. belaglik. man up, nut up, and learn some skills. skills need to be learned the hard way.

wait until you live somewhere where there are no trails in the area, where you need to travel to a nearby town to ride free trails, or pay up everytime that you want to go ride after work. then you will learn to appreciate trails like the obe you moaned about.

If sanparks did built the tracks..... Good for us! As far as danger goes..... Their only obligation should be to mark the trail with sinage, green, blue, black routes and if dangerous sections is present mark it with danger, gap jump, drop, blind corner etc.

The rest is up to us..... Walking the trail, session the trail and don't be stupid and over estimate your skill.

If SANParks built that, I'd be totally delighted, because that would truly be a first!

(OK, I feel less grumpy after a 6 hr ride)

See, I even edited my early morning post.

Don't know if they built it, but there is clear SANPark signs saying "New MTB Route - Single Track" if i make it to work with out being jacked, I'll take a pic on my way home!

If it means anything, i had a striver KOM on the segment on this trail for a long time, till i showed it James Reid and he's GF/partner/BMC girly. Then it didn't last very long :D

Don't know if they built it, but there is clear SANPark signs saying "New MTB Route - Single Track" if i make it to work with out being jacked, I'll take a pic on my way home!

I'll go check it too, :thumbup: !

That bypass route has been there forever and a day if my memory is correct as I first rode that in 1989 when coming down that way.

I never used to go past the Forestry houses as I thought that was not allowed back then.

Think I am correct but I have been doing that bypass forever

I remember the trail you're talking about, but this one isn't exactly the same though it traverses pretty much the same area.

To think we used to ride those trails on fully rigid MTBs.

I must have been a lot more talented back then. Or perhaps less risk averse...

Yep, started my cycling with no shox back then - bike weighed a ton and the 1st gear was like 5'th gear now.

Actually crashed on my first ride down on one of those corners on that nice black ash/gravel

I am correct in assuming that you are one of the b*stards from twitter, hence "ABastard"?

If Meurant has been brought into the discussion and Rob has confirmed he feels the trail wont last summer, then it should be asked if it is indeed built with longevity as consideration.. this is so important right now.

However, there are two opinions over who built it so facts are somewhat sketchy to say the least.. Oh, and stop trying to vilify Parks - the title is misleading your gripe is the trail, not their gate!

Ed: Pics Meezo?

Edited by Pain or shine

ABastard.......There is always Koebwrg for you to ride on if you are technically challenged. You might need to dismounted at one or two lines though as there are pavements that need to be mounted occasionally

ABastard.......There is always Koebwrg for you to ride on if you are technically challenged. You might need to dismounted at one or two lines though as there are pavements that need to be mounted occasionally

I am correct in assuming that you are one of the b*stards from twitter, hence "ABastard"?

If Meurant has been brought into the discussion and Rob has confirmed he feels the trail wont last summer, then it should be asked if it is indeed built with longevity as consideration.. this is so important right now.

However, there are two opinions over who built it so facts are somewhat sketchy to say the least.. Oh, and stop trying to vilify Parks - the title is misleading your gripe is the trail, not their gate!

Ed: Pics Meezo?

Will take today!