No comment.......just a shake of the head.......silent rant

BarHugger

The story:

Wife's MTB's rear brake not 100% after a few races (Van Gaalens, Hakahana, Berg and Bush, Down and Dirty).

1. Take bike to LBS were it was originally bought to sort out problem.

2. Problem description: Rear brake fade (no squealing or shudder)

3. Wife collects bike with "we only had to bleed the brakes and adjust".

4. Rear brake fades badly during ASG night race at Rosemary Hill.

5. Have weekend spare time and decide to have a look and service wife's bike.

6. Eish, haauww, is not possible, WTFreakinH.......

7. Asem in, asem uit.....tel tot 10.

8. CONCLUSION: Do work myself (again) in future (with the help of Google and Big Blue Book of Bicycle Repair ).

9. Problem solved!

Now for the proof (new brake pad as reference)

post-41755-0-29871300-1384151289_thumb.jpg

post-41755-0-41395300-1384151838_thumb.jpg

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Dis nogal rof, ek sou 'n klein bietjie kwaad wees!! As mens nie deesdae na jou eie fiets omsien en oopmaak nie gaan jy groot skade kry, baie van die LBS gaan oor kwantiteit en nie meer kwaliteit nie.

How does the rotor look? I'd consider replacing the rotor after running a brake pad like that on it......

Rotor will be next, for now still fine for training. Will however be replaced before 23 November (Rust de Winter 65km).

sorry, just a dumb question, but aren't the pads the first thing you (not your LBS) should check if your brakes are not working too well. Not to excuse the bike shop incompetence though.

sorry, just a dumb question, but aren't the pads the first thing you (not your LBS) should check if your brakes are not working too well. Not to excuse the bike shop incompetence though.

Agree, but how many other MTB'ers out there are technically inclined and skillful enough to do this. My excuse is however of a "time" nature (not having enough time). A 10-15min job usually ends up being a 3-4 hour relaxation and "battery charging" exercise with the bike servicing. That is why the bike went to the LBS, they do the job in 10-15min.....and I PAY them for their expertise, experience and efficiency.

You might ! but some don't even know what that thingy at the back is.

They take it to their LBS

I know someone who has never even removed a wheel - serias - has bike rack and punctures done by LBS

irrelevant. If my wife has troubles with her brakes, she's not going to take pads out. she's going to take it to the shop to get it fixed