No comment.......just a shake of the head.......silent rant

BarHugger

Hmmm, my take on this.... As someone who *can* fix bicycles, motorbikes, cars, electric fences to name a few... Even though I *can* should not mean I *have to* do these things. I have stripped and rebuilt a 1984-ish inline 4 sports bike. Took it from barely functioning to a good commuter. That doesn't mean I do all my bike services myself. I take them in to pocketbikes because he does a good job and I don't mind paying him to do it. The same goes for my bicycles - I can do it myself but for a long time, while I got the service I wanted, I paid to have it done. For various reasons I now mostly do it myself but if I have a problem I go to my lbs.

BUT....

I am the exception to the norm. I do my own thing (in case any of you are in doubt). Most people simply do not have the interest nor feel the inclination AND THIS IS THEIR PEROGATIVE. It should not be necessary for them to do this. If a shop is going to charge for a service they must render said service. It is that simple. The shop charged a fee and said they checked the brakes and that the brakes are ok. The brake pads form part of the braking system and should have been checked. The OP paid for this service and should not have had to cross check anything.

To those saying that people should all do it all themselves, seriously, do you do your own dental work? What about building - do you build your own houses? Do you grow your own food? Do you seriously never pay anyone to render services to you???

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know enough about the more technical things to break them. Thus I use one of two of my LBS. one does my services the other my wheels and brakes. some lbs are just plain crap and others are good at certain things, well better than others.

so dont be hating on us who are not inclined to fix it and use lbs

Its good therapy working on your own bike, even if you are loaded, or its not "economical". Developing the skills and know-how really connects you with your bike, and empowers you to deal with problems out there in the bush or on a mountain when you need to sort a problem out.

I will work on my bike when I *want*. not because the LBS ****** up and its the only option left

Hard to swallow that you can see a worn brake pad on the point of metal-to-metal contact in the open top end of the calliper, but each to their own I guess.

Sorry to hear you have a problem to swallow.

Different makes of brakes, different "open top end of caliper".....and methods of removing brake pads. With Avid Elixir you don't even need to remove the wheel (rotor).

This is the make in question. Spot the pad surface if you can.

Ps: Admin sending Rant Responsibility Notice

post-41755-0-27114000-1384184294_thumb.jpg

post-41755-0-72914200-1384184360_thumb.jpg

Edited by BarHugger

My excuse is however of a "time" nature (not having enough time).

Looking at a brake pad is a 20 second job, logging onto the hub, and posting a rant is a 5 minute job.

Sounds like my mom: 23 Argus cycle tours - has never changed a tube. She just phones my dad to come out and do it :devil: !

At least she can identify the problem.

Sorry to hear you have a problem to swallow.

Different makes of brakes, different "open top end of caliper".....and methods of removing brake pads. With Avid Elixir you don't even need to remove the wheel (rotor).

This is the make in question. Spot the pad surface if you can.

Why am I getting a rant warning? we just talking technical here. Others seem to be taking the challenge to do a pre-flight personally.

But maybe that's an incorrect generalisation for all brakesets, but most surely for most the pads are dropped in from the top so therefore you can clearly see the pads and the extent of the wear. If not, that is a design limitation.

The ones in the pic look like the calliper is one moulding, the first pic is a bit fuzzy in the critical area under discussion, but I can see a gap to the top of the pads there.

Lets look see what else we can find in the interweb for "Avid Elixir" you mention

http://www.sicklines.com/news-images/avid_elixir_cr1ss.jpg

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x305/azwart0001/BigMama003-1.jpg

Much like the Hope family.

http://brimages.bikeboardmedia.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/2013-Hope-quad-piston-disc-brake-caliper01-600x413.jpg

http://www.entopia.org.za/Gallery/cycling/Flash_BlackPanther/Seatstay-s.jpg

Do you take your bike to the bike shop to check tyre pressures before a ride? do they also clean and lube your chain? checking brakes part of the same drill, yes you can do it!

Edited by kosmonooit

Why am I getting a rant warning? we just talking technical here. Others seem to be taking the challenge to do a pre-flight personally.

Sorry about the confusion created for you. I am getting the rant warning......with advice that I need to contact and resolve the matter with the "rant subject" in question.

The brand of brake in question (as mentioned in a previous post) is the Tektro, model Draco that is standard equipment on some of the Meridas ( my wife's bike). Brake pads can only be inspected and replaced by removing the wheel and/or caliper body from frame. The silver section you see sticking out at the top is the spring plate pushing the brake pads apart. The green sections are the top of the brake pad securing arms. The rest of the brake pad is hidden.

For your convenience and ease you can just click here:

http://www.tektro.com/_english/01_products/01_prodetail.php?pid=147&sortname=Disc&sort=1&fid=1.

I only used the Elixir example as that is what I have had on my previous bike and are familiar with them.

Do you take your bike to the bike shop to check tyre pressures before a ride? do they also clean and lube your chain? checking brakes part of the same drill, yes you can do it!

I actually do take my bike to the LBS to be professionally checked out and expertly serviced, especially before doing something like "Berg and Bush". However, I have lately seen a tendency of riders not doing it anymore.....seems as you have a 50-50 chance of picking up problems that were not there before.

So you can relax, it is not personal.......but rather a question of technical expertise and commitment to excellent service (with no added BS or trolling).

post-41755-0-56638700-1384195084_thumb.jpg

Edited by BarHugger

The point is not whether you take your bike in to the LBS or not

but if you do take it in and it comes back with those pads I would be SERIOUSLY miffed.

I SAY "NAME AND SHAME"

Barhug, with due respects, I think you should treat your wife to a brakeset upgrade for Xmas, those look pretty miffy and what a drag to replace the pads, let alone check them.

http://bicycletutor.com/images/bicycle/055.jpg

You get Hope x2 in Pink, that will go down a treat for the missus ;) And keep the old ones so you can use the new ones on the next bike you get her.

Bikeshop service: I used to take my bike for a regular service only because I was lazy and it was always great to get it back all shiny and new looking. But I started getting miffed when every time it went in, it needed a new cassette because according to the boff boss there, you should replace cassette when you replace chain. R2k later ....

Final straw was sorting gears out, I had issues, took it back three times, came back worse each time, got on line and ordered new SRAM bits and tools from CRC (and found The Hub at the same time) the rest is history, now I do the full monty, including wheel building and Lefty service.

But I was fortunate enough to grow up with a workshop at home, and did a Mech Tech training when I left school

Edited by kosmonooit

Barhug, with due respects, I think you should treat your wife to a brakeset upgrade for Xmas, those look pretty miffy and what a drag to replace the pads, let alone check them.

You get Hope x2 in Pink, that will go down a treat for the missus ;) And keep the old ones so you can use the new ones on the next bike you get her.

Bikeshop service: I used to take my bike for a regular service only because I was lazy and it was always great to get it back all shiny and new looking. But I started getting miffed when every time it went in, it needed a new cassette because according to the boff boss there, you should replace cassette when you replace chain. R2k later ....

Final straw was sorting gears out, I had issues, took it back three times, came back worse each time, got on line and ordered new SRAM bits and tools from CRC (and found The Hub at the same time) the rest is history, now I do the full monty, including wheel building and Lefty service.

But I was fortunate enough to grow up with a workshop at home, and did a Mech Tech training when I left school

:thumbup:

post-41755-0-46609000-1384240817_thumb.gif

Rant Responsibility.bmp

I have a set of Tektros on my GT and they work perfectly! I even bought a second set last year at a good price to replace these ones once they fail or if I break a lever etc. The easiest way to check the pads is just to flip the bike over and remove a wheel. They also use the same pads as Deore so they are cheap to replace (last set of pads cost me R75!).

Edited by Mojoman

This is what I am talking about!

http://www.evanscycles.com/product_image/image/807/f6b/bec/34979/product_page/hope-mini-x2-pink-disc-brake-kit.jpg

http://www.bikewagon.com/media/catalog/product/cache/2/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/b/r/br1926-04.jpg

Edited by kosmonooit

Two people should be pi$$ed off. YOU should be at the useless appi twat that tried to sort out your vrou's brakes. And your vrou should be angry with you for not noticing that her brake pads were shot after she complained about them. It's not aeronautical engineering ffs.

Ok ...not good..I hate that

So what is the shops details?

i'm nowhere near you,but i still want to know and i'll email a link of this to them,and ask them if i should bring my bike in...

i havent been back in the country long enough to know if a Bicycle mechanic here in RSA is an actual registered trade ,or even a certified occupation...

I mean brakes are brakes...etc

If I drive out the shop and my brakes fail and go through a red light and a car cripples me,who do I sue?

A car repairer/business?easily done,but would take ages

a bicycle repairer/LBS?Whats the deal there?

I think its the manufaturers duty to train bike mechanics on repairing their brands when sold,

Like have a seminar for all dealers to send their tech staff,get a certificate etc etc

Ok ...not good..I hate that

So what is the shops details?

i'm nowhere near you,but i still want to know and i'll email a link of this to them,and ask them if i should bring my bike in...

i havent been back in the country long enough to know if a Bicycle mechanic here in RSA is an actual registered trade ,or even a certified occupation...

I mean brakes are brakes...etc

If I drive out the shop and my brakes fail and go through a red light and a car cripples me,who do I sue?

A car repairer/business?easily done,but would take ages

a bicycle repairer/LBS?Whats the deal there?

I think its the manufaturers duty to train bike mechanics on repairing their brands when sold,

Like have a seminar for all dealers to send their tech staff,get a certificate etc etc

I am so glad someone mentioned this.

And no, a local certification from a weekend course doesn't count.