Who are the legends and heroes of SA Mountain biking?

SoftTail

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before getting to the riders themselves one needs to look at the "behind the scenes" people first.

THE BIGGEST MAN IN MTB:

Mr. Mike Bradley - Current General Manager of CSA. and former Chairman of CSA and KZNMTB and and and

This guy is a true Revolutionary. Without his foresight MTB would not be where it is today. He took a dwindling National and Provincial series and reinstated it with clever Planning and Funding. And continues to do so with large strides into the Development side of things.

Then the others:

1. Mr Alec Lenferna - head of Real Events - He has brought no less than 8 INTERNATIONAL races to our shores, including 2 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP events ... BMX, Road and MTB have prospered under his event organisational skills and his connection to the UCI as well as his involvement with people such as Mike mentioned above.

Then we get the guys on the local fronts:

Nick Floros - Insane trail builder and XC and Land Access Commissioner for KZN - without his efforts many places we ride in KZN would be out of Bounds.

The guys at SAPPI, MONDI, and NCT Forestry, and Tongaat Huletts for allowing us the priveledge of building trails and then riding on their land. We are FOREVER indebted to them.

----

Then to the old days

Andrew Meaker and Arno Neethling - Both former Chairs of SAMBA (what CSA is now) ... Revolutionary in building the sport from the grass roots level in the early 90's and bringing the rounds of the World Cup to Stellenbosch in the late 90's

Then the riders:

For putting the sport on the map initially internationally:

Aldon Baker - XC

Greg Millar - XC and DH

Erica Green - XC

Then the new crop:

Greg Minnaar - DH - 3x World Champ - 3x World Cup Overall Winner - Over 60 Wins at World Cup Level

Burry Stander (RIP) - XC - World U23 Champ in 2009 - 5th at the 2012 Olympics

Andrew Neethling - DH - World Cup Podium finisher

Rorke Crouser - XC - World Cup rider

Phillip Buys - XC - World Cup Rider

Mariska Strauss - XC - U23 - Ladies World Cup Rider

Then the trail builders:

Nick Floros - KZN (Sani2C, Cascades World Champs XC Track)

Hylton Turvey - KZN - (Karkloof)

Meurant Botha - CT - (Lots of Trails)

Not sure of the others but there will be loads.

Without all of these guys - MTB would not be where it is today.

And I for one thank you!

Cheers

Nige

Before getting to the riders themselves one needs to look at the "behind the scenes" people first.

THE BIGGEST MAN IN MTB:

Mr. Mike Bradley - Current General Manager of CSA. and former Chairman of CSA and KZNMTB and and and

This guy is a true Revolutionary. Without his foresight MTB would not be where it is today. He took a dwindling National and Provincial series and reinstated it with clever Planning and Funding. And continues to do so with large strides into the Development side of things.

Then the others:

1. Mr Alec Lenferna - head of Real Events - He has brought no less than 8 INTERNATIONAL races to our shores, including 2 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP events ... BMX, Road and MTB have prospered under his event organisational skills and his connection to the UCI as well as his involvement with people such as Mike mentioned above.

Nick Floros - Insane trail builder and XC and Land Access Commissioner for KZN - without his efforts many places we ride in KZN would be out of Bounds.

The guys at SAPPI, MONDI, and NCT Forestry, and Tongaat Huletts for allowing us the priveledge of building trails and then riding on their land. We are FOREVER indebted to them.

----

Then to the old days

Andrew Meaker and Arno Neethling - Both former Chairs of SAMBA (what CSA is now) ... Revolutionary in building the sport from the grass roots level in the early 90's and bringing the rounds of the World Cup to Stellenbosch in the late 90's

Then the riders:

Aldon Baker - XC

Greg Millar - XC and DH

Erica Green - XC

Then the new crop:

Greg Minnaar - DH - 3x World Champ - 3x World Cup Overall Winner - Over 60 Wins at World Cup Level

Then the trail builders:

And I for one thank you!

Cheers

Nige

THE BIGGEST MAN IN MTB:

Then the others:

----

Then to the old days

Then the riders:

Aldon Baker - XC

Greg Millar - XC and DH

Erica Green - XC

Then the new crop:

Then the trail builders:

And I for one thank you!

Cheers

Nige

Great post! Thanks Nige.

More like this please!

i will add grant (the crusher) usher. for the ss events.

think he helped with the ss worlds here that burry stander won

Edited by flat29

Anton Smal from Cycle house.

On stage 5 of the cape pioneer this year, we basically started rode in rain and mud the whole stage.

Like everyone else, I had no brakes left, as in F*kol (front, only base plate that was almost worn through, rear nothing, just the pistons)

He made brake pads out of Coffee tin lids at waterpoint 2 for me so I could finish the race

If it wasnt for him, I would probably withdrawn or ended up in a bush somewhere.

Thats legend in my eyes.

post-341-0-20800000-1384324649_thumb.jpg

Scott Richardson - Versatile on any bicycle; Only rider ever in SA to represent their country on road, track and mountain biking.

I think Erica Green also achieved that

What about Frrritz Pienaar?

AFAIK he is behind the Adventurance organisation that brings us so many great events in these parts. Also participates in most of the events, and was a racer back in the day. Love what you do, do what you love!

Okay bar the cartel / competition commission saga. But look what came out of that: Buycycle

The Spruit Fairy (think he wants to remain anonymous but a lot of people know who he is)

Manages to find time between his Job, his family and training to go fix up the trails, make new trails and make the current trails safer.

If everyone put in half as much effort and money as he does all the trails in SA would be INSANE

Edited by Peach.

What about Frrritz Pienaar?

AFAIK he is behind the Adventurance organisation that brings us so many great events in these parts. Also participates in most of the events, and was a racer back in the day. Love what you do, do what you love!

Okay bar the cartel / competition commission saga. But look what came out of that: Buycycle

Former SA champ too, if I am not mistaken...

----

Then to the old days

Then the riders:

Aldon Baker - XC

Greg Millar - XC and DH

Erica Green - XC

To Add

Michelle Lombary - XC / DH

Chris Nixon - XC / DH

These names where not only riders from the day who did most of the disaplines but who started the Mtb scene in the country and got its off to where it is today . they had huge following in the first days of mtb when people had no idea what a mtb was.