Slowbee's TransKaroo Ride 2014

Slowbee

Well, I have just entered!!

I figure this is going to be an awesome ride. And we used to camp in the Tankwa Karoo many years ago I always wanted to ride up the pass. Well now I will.

I reckon this should be an ok ride. I am as unfit as an unfit whale. I have not been on the bike for a decent ride in 6 months. So am starting from basically nothing, other than being overweight!

240 km in 17 hrs, that's about 14 km/hr. But with breaks, brakes, stops and photo's I should be thinking of riding closer to 16km/hr, which means about 15hrs on the bike.

As before, this thread is the training diary, I'll keep you all posted as to how it is going.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Look forward to following it, I really wish the trans karoo guys and the tankwa trek okes could appoint map dudes before the marketing chinas name their races.

So what is your weight now?

My weight is not at a healthy (not) 89. Which is much better than the 103 I was 12 months ago!

Ok, so I am going big on this one. I have introduced the notion of cross training, or whatever that means. I have started swimming. Got 20 minutes done in the gym pool *spit* me don't like gym, but I would not survive 5 minutes in da sea, and besides, the water is cold in CT.

I managed another 20 minutes on the IDT - soon to be 30 minutes. Good base training I keep telling myself.

Hi. I am interested in riding this event, and wonder if those who have done it before can advise the following:

As it is an A to B ride, how do we get back to Ceres...do the organisers arrange this or must one make a plan? I see a bus to Cape Town, but I am from Gauteng. If I drive down, my car will be at Ceres.

Sleeping arrangements? on finishing, what does one do

Any info will be appreciated

The training has been stepped up. I managed 30 minutes on the IDT.

The plan is to do 30 minutes everyday this week. Hopefully the weekend will then be an actual bicycle ride.

• 4 weeks later...

I rode the route 'down' with a motorbike yesterday. Oh man, this is far....but the scenery - priceless.

Ouberg was covered with very loose gravel/tennisballs in the last week or two. The word 'slippery' cant described it.

tempted

Hi there Slowbee.We also entered and looking forward. A lot of guys from Worcester will be riding "the up". Goodluck with your trainning.

• 2 weeks later...

This is a very long ride and if you are slow, it is a very lonely ride

I could not finish last year's down ride because of various factors - I stopped at the 160km mark.

You need to book your own accommodation on both sides - Ceres and Sutherland.

Some tips:

Get long hours of saddle time in. - Your ass will hurt

Wear a good bib

Wear a Garmin or some kind of GPS device (there were only KM markings every 50km or so)

Prepare yourself mentally

Save your legs for the hill at the end (even if you have to walk)