Do you think cycling is becoming the new golf, for business reasons?

F111

"Reuters saidthat McAdam and Colao share a "passion for cycling that saw them once do a 50km (30 miles) race together."

Yoh! These oaks are hard!

It's better than nothing? Or at least its better than sitting on their fat arses and eating pies like the majority of people?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL

The only time I visit Clovelly is on my way to Ou Wa Pad

Ja me too, except when I am out for a run with the pooch.

which has not been for a while

My most disliked golf course is Westlake.Right in the way of what would be a most convenient tunnel

What about that one they put at vic falls - cleared those messy bushes right up. I suppose they will tell us it is good for conservation, just like that wonderful yank pastime, canned hunting.

Do you think cycling is becoming the new golf, for business reasons?

No, and I dont think its the new golf at all, as this qu has been raised since i got into the sport 10yrs ago.

At it's heart cycling is individual, anti-social & consistently time-consuming. To be any good takes a determination and application that any 40+ businessman is going to find it hard to give, and not detract from the business's performance.

You can be a fat-arse and play golf a few times a year wandering about having a chat with your cronies, at a reasonable time of day and eat and drink to excess after, but no semi-serious cyclist is going to be able to do that. If you're not at least semi-serious who are you going to impress businesswise, and what's the point?

Cycling is the new golf. Obviously road cycling is not where it happens, as execs do not like been run down by their employees. But mountain biking, especially at Groenkloof is the bees knees for any exec. Nice flowing trails with lots of places to stop, a great car park where you can pose with your very SUV, upclass bicycle and ASSOS clothes and until recently a MOYO's to pop a beer or lunch. And even better your family (pretty second wife with the ex's kids) can come along for the day as well.

No definitely not.

There is too much hard work involved in cycling, which the average businessman is not used to. :whistling:

Always puffing and panting, and out of breath.

Also not much discussions to be had in the group, for security reasons.

No clubhouse involved, with nice cold drinks etc etc etc

Bwah ha ha, more like over a few beers and strippers.

Cycling is the new golf. Obviously road cycling is not where it happens, as execs do not like been run down by their employees. But mountain biking, especially at Groenkloof is the bees knees for any exec. Nice flowing trails with lots of places to stop, a great car park where you can pose with your very SUV, upclass bicycle and ASSOS clothes and until recently a MOYO's to pop a beer or lunch. And even better your family (pretty second wife with the ex's kids) can come along for the day as well.

Driving your Range Rover / Fartuner to the trail is also a great justification for owning a moonlander-sized vehicle. You can safely explain the scuffs on your rear bumper by saying you hit a low-lying treestump, rather than admit there was an Atos at Pick n' Pay that fell below the line of sight.

Last time I played golf I didn't come home with bleeding shins and a funny clicking sound in my right shoulder (have yet to master tuck and roll).

They're very different sports, I think that mtb appeals to people who are comfortable with risk. And such people often end up running things in the corporate world.

There's definitely business connections being made thanks to mtb.

There's definitely business connections being made thanks to mtb cycling.

I don't have an mtb, and I make a lot of connections, and do a lot of business on the bike.

All this talk of golfers being fat and lazy, driving around in high value SUV's living a life of excess.

Hmmmmm....generalise much?

I play golf, squash, mtb, road bike, archery, run etc

The people being described frequent all these sports and more.

Serious golfers are fit and dedicate a lot of time to golf. As do cyclists.

Why cant we all just be tolerant of each others similarities and differences?

Don't you think the corporate sponsors get more "bang for buck" from aligning with MTB events vs Golf days/events? Possibly social media is active for longer periods before and after MTB events vs golf days. Almost like there's more hype and a longer period of exposure. Do people review, post, tweet, FB, etc etc as much about golf days as they do about MTB events?

Speculating.

Edited by Hellwarp

• 1 month later...

Now if MTb becomes business business.. it will suck out all the fun of having a hobby.. one should never mix business with pleasure.