Accidents with road maintenance barriers

New Landy new life

I was wondering what is a reasonable warning before road maintenance barriers so cyclists are aware well ahead of said barriers.

I guess a lot of incidents with above barriers happen when cyclists look down and don't notice that roadworks are coming ahead.

On Sunday I put an end to my Burger entry just above Lundudno.

Coming from Hout Bay over the neck I was a little worn from Suikerbossie at a good pace and my head was hanging a little more than usual which happens when recovering.

Was barreling down the first bend at 45 km/h and suddenly went flying over a 200 liter drum placed just inside the yellow line.

Resulted in badly dislocated finger, buckled shocks on the MTB and many roasties.

I never saw any warning signs prior to these steel drums placed in the road so randomly.

Tempted to get a response from whoever put these damn things in the road without, in my opinion, proper safe warning.

Anyway, two months recovery and a long road of phisio ahead - rant over.

post-31497-0-63997100-1385483950_thumb.jpg

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

this morning I came flying down suikerbossie in the direction of camps bay, took a bend and almost hit barriers put in the yellow line, luckily the cars were held their mandatory 1m distance so I could clear it with no drama.

coming into camps bay I also got a lekker skrik to part of the road washed away in last week's heavy rain, that was also too close for comfort.

but on the other hand i'm perfectly ok bombing down a ST I never done before, but then one is more alert, so stay frosty

Firstly, everything of the best for your recovery.

to answer some questions ...

"what is a reasonable warning before road maintenance barriers "

Usually, there are speed limits signs preceeding this, to invite you to slow down.

Barring this, road rules/regulations state something like, your speed must be proportioned to your ability to stop safely,

should the need arise.

"a lot of incidents with above barriers happen when cyclists look down "

You said it, no-one else.

This is the root of most cycling accidents.

Sorry buddy, but my opinion is that its a "normal" road accident.

Descriptions like ...

"barreling down the first bend" ,

"came flying down suikerbossie "

should be kept on a race track, not a public road.

And then, only noticed this after reading your description again...

MTB bikes or tyres are not designed for high speed braking manoeuvres on tarmac.

When you recover properly, buy yourself another bike, and join us roadies :thumbup:

Edited by fabs

These barrels extend out over the yellow line and are on a blind corner. Was actually wondering the same thing the other day, more along the lines of what if a car hit it like I almost did the first time! No chevrons or warning before, I feel it is unsafe and you should have a case.

this morning I came flying down suikerbossie in the direction of camps bay, took a bend and almost hit barriers put in the yellow line, luckily the cars were held their mandatory 1m distance so I could clear it with no drama.

coming into camps bay I also got a lekker skrik to part of the road washed away in last week's heavy rain, that was also too close for comfort.

but on the other hand i'm perfectly ok bombing down a ST I never done before, but then one is more alert, so stay frosty

They almost caught me out on Sunday as well, that poor persons house has the road in his back door.

Some roadies almost swerved into my car the other morning on my way to work ... Those drums are placed right after the bend. There should be a yellow triangle before the bend warning people of the road works ahead.

With all due respect and I mean this in the nicest way possible although its not going to read as such.

You are the plonker here, theres no 2 ways about it.

Im glad you are not hurt worse but I find this funny.

If I hit something in the road on my bicycle, Im the arse.... nobody else

Watch where you are going :eek:

With all due respect and I mean this in the nicest way possible although its not going to read as such.

What would skillz do?

i am with you on this one,,,if you riding you need to look where the hell you going,,,,,,having said that SKILLZ has got the skills to avoid ANY "bump"

but seriously when you riding your mountain bike do you expect markers for the roots also???

Also hit that bend at speed on Sunday and had to brake hard whilst swerving into the traffic lane to avoid hitting the barrels. Thankfully there weren't any cars behind me.