Ghost warranty Advice?

mad bout mtb

I am the proud owner of a Ghost AMR 5700 which was purchased in May of 2012.

I recently discovered a crack in the lower swing arm while washing the bike.

post-6162-0-29264200-1385817777_thumb.jpg

Subsequently, I contacted the agents and started the warranty process. In the first couple of emails exchanged, it was said that 9/10 times the whole frame would be replaced as the serial number is linked to the whole frame and not just the swing arm. I therefore didn't expect the whole frame to be replaced and was pleased as I thought they would only replace the swing arm.

Later I was informed that only the swing arm was going to be replaced which was fine by me but they stated it was going to be a black one and not green as the one it's replacing. This is not acceptable to me. I therefore asked for them to either have the new arm sprayed green at their expense, so it would match my frame or have the whole frame replaced.

Their response was that they would not replace the frame and ignored my suggestion to have the swing arm painted.

Where do I go from here?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by mad bout mtb

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Which agents did you speak to? I know the guys at the ghost shop in four ways are excellent, they're called ballistic bike trading... Speak to Fraser, the owner...

But if not, I would take it further, especially if you have written confirmation of a frame replacement... If it is ballistic who is being unhelpful, maybe contact the big boys overseas and express your concern?

I've dealt with the guys at ballistic a few times and find them very very service orientated...

Good luck dude!

is that break by the cable guide for the front derailer? thats where 2 of mine broke. first was a 6 month old RT5700, Ghost gave me a new frame as they could not match the swing arm. Received a RT7500 as an upgrade and that broke within 2 month. i claimed from my insurance the second time as i just wanted to be shot of the brand. i dealt with Jason at BBT as that is where i bought the bike from. How long have you had the bike? i dont think a different coloured swing arm is an acceptable replacement though.

Which agents did you speak to? I know the guys at the ghost shop in four ways are excellent, they're called ballistic bike trading... Speak to Fraser, the owner...

But if not, I would take it further, especially if you have written confirmation of a frame replacement... If it is ballistic who is being unhelpful, maybe contact the big boys overseas and express your concern?

I've dealt with the guys at ballistic a few times and find them very very service orientated...

Good luck dude!

is that break by the cable guide for the front derailer? thats where 2 of mine broke. first was a 6 month old RT5700, Ghost gave me a new frame as they could not match the swing arm. Received a RT7500 as an upgrade and that broke within 2 month. i claimed from my insurance the second time as i just wanted to be shot of the brand. i dealt with Jason at BBT as that is where i bought the bike from. How long have you had the bike? i dont think a different coloured swing arm is an acceptable replacement though.

Thanks for the input guys.

Yes I dealt with BBT directly. Yes that is right by the front derailleur cable guide mount. I have had it for 18 months now. I agree that the different colors of frame and swing arm are not acceptable.

Edited by mad bout mtb

Thanks for the input guys.

Yes I dealt with BBT directly. Yes that is right by the front derailleur cable guide mount. I have had it for 18 months now. I agree that the different colors of frame and swing arm are not acceptable.

How hard could it be to source a matching coloured swing-arm? I sometimes wonder if suppliers think they act in a vacuum and consumers have no means of communication. So a forum populated by many many keen cyclists thinks twice about buying this brand. Whereas had they delivered as promised we'd all think what a great bunch of guys, maybe I WILL buy that Ghost I was considering.

Talk about dropping the ball.

Edited by bikebefok

Its seems to be common, even with bigger brands like Giant. They dont keep stock of spares for every model year, so they end up giving you whatever colour is available in stock.

Its seems to be common, even with bigger brands like Giant. They dont keep stock of spares for every model year, so they end up giving you whatever colour is available in stock.

But then if you want to respray the whole frame then you void the warranty?

How hard could it be to source a matching coloured swing-arm? I sometimes wonder if suppliers think they act in a vacuum and consumers have no means of communication. So a forum populated by many many keen cyclists thinks twice about buying this brand. Whereas had they delivered as promised we'd all think what a great bunch of guys, maybe I WILL buy that Ghost I was considering.

Talk about dropping the ball.

Remember Ghost swopped out a whole frame for me as they could not match the colour so they did OK there but as mentioned the bike was only a few months old so maybe that was a factor?

Also, you should read warranty terms and condiions, i wouldnt be surprised if there is a disclaimer of sorts regarding this issue,

I recieved an email from BBT saying that they have the new swing arm and it has been fitted. Clearly they have no regard as to the what the customer wants, as it has been made clear that I don't want a black swing arm!

Had a similar experience with a Merida frame, no matching colour so I had to suck it up and take what was offered. They also said "it's an old model we can't keep stock of every colour spare swing arm " , which I suppose is fair considering the logistics of having replacements in all the color ways they may release each year. They normally only swop out complete frames if the bike is quite new.

post-28413-0-04188900-1386230437_thumb.png

I am the proud owner of a Ghost AMR 5700 which was purchased in May of 2012.

I recently discovered a crack in the lower swing arm while washing the bike.

post-6162-0-29264200-1385817777_thumb.jpg

Subsequently, I contacted the agents and started the warranty process. In the first couple of emails exchanged, it was said that 9/10 times the whole frame would be replaced as the serial number is linked to the whole frame and not just the swing arm. I therefore didn't expect the whole frame to be replaced and was pleased as I thought they would only replace the swing arm.

Later I was informed that only the swing arm was going to be replaced which was fine by me but they stated it was going to be a black one and not green as the one it's replacing. This is not acceptable to me. I therefore asked for them to either have the new arm sprayed green at their expense, so it would match my frame or have the whole frame replaced.

Their response was that they would not replace the frame and ignored my suggestion to have the swing arm painted.

Where do I go from here?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Wian Van Staden "aka" Mad Bout MTB,

We have been communicating the various options to you from our principles at Ghost-Bikes HQ in Germany over the last couple of days.

They have replaced the defective part on your 2011 bike in order to keep the wheels rolling smoothly.

They carry stock of Neutral colours to ensure they can effectively support matters like this when they arise.

Should the defective part been one where they no longer carry the part or was part of the main frame they would have resorted in another suitable option for you, however the part was available and was sent to us.

Spaying the bikes or replacement parts is up to you, we have in the past had some work done on bikes and we have been advised that we should no longer do this as it could affect the warranty claim in future.

See below the image of the replaced part fitted on the frame.

It is not the ideal green original part you had however it is an acceptable part in our and our principles minds and acceptable in our opinion.

If you feel this is absolutely not an option please feel free to contact me Jason Theunissen on 071 878 7992 and or pop in to the office to discuss.

Edited by Ballistic Bike trading

Muddy Mike,

Not giving a "****" of what the customers wants is definitely not our approach, however we are governed by what our principles communicate and send to us as the distributors, in my previous post you will see the image and agreed it not the original but also not completely out of whack as far as replacements go.

Edited by Ballistic Bike trading

post-28413-0-04188900-1386230437_thumb.png

Hi Wian Van Staden "aka" Mad Bout MTB,

We have been communicating the various options to you from our principles at Ghost-Bikes HQ in Germany over the last couple of days.

They have replaced the defective part on your 2011 bike in order to keep the wheels rolling smoothly.

They carry stock of Neutral colours to ensure they can effectively support matters like this when they arise.

Should the defective part been one where they no longer carry the part or was part of the main frame they would have resorted in another suitable option for you, however the part was available and was sent to us.

Spaying the bikes or replacement parts is up to you, we have in the past had some work done on bikes and we have been advised that we should no longer do this as it could affect the warranty claim in future.

See below the image of the replaced part fitted on the frame.

It is not the ideal green original part you had however it is an acceptable part in our and our principles minds and acceptable in our opinion.

If you feel this is absolutely not an option please feel free to contact me Jason Theunissen on 071 878 7992 and or pop in to the office to discuss.

I think the black looks better than the green. IMHO but it is up to the op