Jonkershoek - what a gem

Headshot

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok so I've wangled my work so that I can afford a morning off. Anybody keen to hit a nice "filled backpacks" mission to Jonkers tomorrow morning? Keen to get an early start and session Firehut, Black Diamond and Canaries so basically a 3-4 hour ride (hence the filled packs).

Yo Nico,

Ok so I've wangled my work so that I can afford a morning off. Anybody keen to hit a nice "filled backpacks" mission to Jonkers tomorrow morning? Keen to get an early start and session Firehut, Black Diamond and Canaries so basically a 3-4 hour ride (hence the filled packs).

What time are you thinking of Nico, Will PM you if none of my mates join me for Contermanskloof

Guest Omega Man

i so need to go ride there some day! Cool vid!

Jonkers is the closest to Alpine riding I've experienced in SA. I absolutely love it.

Yo Nico,

What time are you thinking of Nico, Will PM you if none of my mates join me for Contermanskloof

Sorry, you were a day late. I went yesterday morning. Was alone on the trails all morning in sublime conditions. Will post vids Monday.

Ok so here was my Friday morning:

Started with some Firehut flow

Then some blown out Canaries

And then some DH-Flow for desert

Yes, yes, I know I talk a lot of crap on the bike, even (or especially) when I ride by my lonesome.

• 4 weeks later...

Had the best ride this morning. My highlight of riding Jonkershoek for 9+ years is seeing a Rooikat (Links) between the Kanaries and Neverending story. I spent most of my life's free time in the veld and only saw 5 Rooikatte on 4 occations (all within 1 month of each other 6 years ago in the Gamtoos valley on the family farm). Very special ride!

I am a quiet man... (ref John Prine's song)

Had the best ride this morning. My highlight of riding Jonkershoek for 9+ years is seeing a Rooikat (Links) between the Kanaries and Neverending story. I spent most of my life's free time in the veld and only saw 5 Rooikatte on 4 occations (all within 1 month of each other 6 years ago in the Gamtoos valley on the family farm). Very special ride!

I am a quiet man... (ref John Prine's song)

Caracal;) there is a program running where rooikatte are re introduced around stellenbosch, beautiful creatures. Alot in the paradyskloof vinyards as well.... And if you are lucky some leopards closer to the mountain

Caracal;) there is a program running where rooikatte are re introduced around stellenbosch, beautiful creatures. Alot in the paradyskloof vinyards as well.... And if you are lucky some leopards closer to the mountain

see lynx at Meerendal quite often too - the other day just a few metres from me on the stairway to heaven, I was worried it might attack me but I guess they are quite "tame". i wouldnt want to see a leopard while on my bike, thanks you can save that experience for yourself, its all good with me.

Archived