[Event] 2014 Bestmed Jock Cycle Classique, Presented By ASG

ASG

Event Name: 2014 Bestmed Jock Cycle Classique, Presented By ASG
When: 19 July 2014
Where: Mbombela Stadium in Nelspruit, Mpumulanga
Category: Road

2014 Jock remains in Nelspruit<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 16px;" /><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 16px;" />The 2014 Bestmed Jock Cycle Classique, presented by ASG, takes place on 19 July 2014 and the event will take place on the same route as in 2013.<br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 16px;" /><br style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); font-family: 'lucida grande', tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif; font-size: 13px; line-height: 16px;" />The feedback from competitors was overwhelming after last year’s event, which has led to the organization taking the decision to vest the event in Nelspruit. The 2014 Jock will start and finish at the Mbombela Stadium in Nelspruit with the stages linking White River and Sabie to the Lowveld’s capital for a total 3-stage distance of 151km.

Entries for the 3-stage event are limited to 1500 cyclists.

The stages are as follows:

Stage 1: Nelspruit – White River: 43km

Stage 2: White River – Sabie (via Spitskop): 45km

Stage 3: Sabie – Nelspruit (via Long Tom Pass): 63km

Stage 1:

The first stage, which starts at 6:30, goes out from the Mbombela Stadium towards the Sabie road around Nelspruit. Competitors will ride 20km out until they turn down onto the Brondal road, past Heidel Eggs and ending at the Rob Ferreira School in White River at 43 km.

Stage 2:

At 09:30 riders will start tackling the second stage (in the same order as the first. The race moves out of White River onto the Sabie road over Spitskop and will end at the entrance towards Sabie. It’s a 45km ride after which the field will settle down to lunch at the Sabie Primary School before gearing up for the final leg.

Stage 3:

The third stage starts at 12:30 from the School and riders almost immediately hit the first (and only) big obstacle - The Long Tom Pass. The pass is a monster, totaling 12km with an average gradient of 7 percent.

The good news is that – after Long Tom - the riding becomes easier as the stage progresses all the way back to Nelspruit to finish back at the Mbombela Stadium.

Entry limit:

Riders must please note that only 1500 entries for the 3-stage event will be accepted.

Cut-off and Prize Giving:

The cut-off in Nelspruit is at 17:30 and prize giving will take place at 16:00.

Entry fees:

3-stage: R720

2-stage: R450

1-stage: R180

R10 of every entry is donated to the Cancer Association of South Africa.

Spectator Packages:

Spectators can book a package which will enable them to follow the race in one of the spectator busses and also eat breakfast and lunch with their loved ones taking part in the race.

The spectator packages are R400 each (kids under 7 can come along and eat and ride for free with their parent/s)

Your entry fee includes:

Special Jock long sleeved shirt

Breakfast and lunch (for 3-stage riders, 2-stage riders will receive lunch only)

Tog bag vehicles (please note your tog bag has to be on the tog bag vehicles 15 minutes prior to each stage start)

Goody bags with nutritional supplements and other rider aids

Some of the best water points and local hospitality you’ll ever experience

Well marshalled roads

Excellent race control

Great camaraderie!

Lovely Lowveld sunshine

The satisfaction of conquering some of cycling’s greatest climbs and the prestige of having completed South Africa’s toughest single day race!

The stadium will play host to registration on Friday afternoon before race day from 14:00 – 16:00. The Joburg registration will be at Cycle Lab in Fourways on the Thursday prior to race day from 10:00 – 16:00.

All sorts of eats, drinks and entertainment will be put on at the stadium on Friday and Saturday and there is more than ample, safe, parking for participants.

Official Vehicle Partner:

NTT Toyota will again be the official vehicle partner to the Jock and have made more than 20 vehicles available to the organization.

Tog bag vehicles:

Tog bag vehicles will be available to transport rider’s tog bags between stages.

Please note that riders are only allowed one tog bag.

The tog bag vehicles will be parked adjacent to the Food Service area at every stage finish.

Please note your tog bag has to be on the tog bag vehicles 15 minutes prior to each stage start.

Accomodation:

With the event moving to Nelspruit it opens up more accommodation options. Riders must please note that only 1500 entries for the 3-stage event will be accepted.

Prize giving will take place at Mbombela Stadium at 16h00 and the race will end at 17h30 officially.

With every Jock medal worn, again a cyclist is born!

For further enquiries phone the race office on 076 621 1807 or email eventsupport@asgworld.co.za

Go to Event Page

Edited by Guest

Great Bestmed Jock early bird prizes up for grabs!

ASG are putting up some great early bird prizes for Bestmed Jock entrants

Riders who enter next year’s race before 13 December 2013 stand a chance to win one of the following:

• 2 My Nav cycling computers valued at R5000 each
  • 10 x R500 SIDIOnline vouchers, redeemable on a once off Sidi purchace at www.sidionline.co.za
  • 10 x High 5 Racepacks (HIGH5)
  • 10 x Baroudeur DVDs

To enter, click here

2012 - R490 including T shirt and fleece jacket - good deal. Loved it.

2013 - ASG events "test run" - R580 including T shirt. Warning bells starting to ring.

2014 - ASG "we have control" - R720 including T shirt. No thanks.

2015 - R1000?

Please do tell how, despite offering less, overall costs have increased by 47% in 24 months?

Edited by Falco

2012 - R490 including T shirt and fleece jacket - good deal. Loved it.

2013 - ASG events "test run" - R580 including T shirt. Warning bells starting to ring.

2014 - ASG "we have control" - R720 including T shirt. No thanks.

2015 - R1000?

Please do tell how, despite offering less, overall costs have increased by 47% in 24 months?

It's those damned E-tolls I tell you!! :whistling:

Worried to see that Berg n Dale price has jumped too.

R250 now. Is the idea to get it on par with 94.7 and Argus? in that case there had better be full road closure too...

Edited by Li Mu Bai

Guest Latent Blue

Anyone can decidr npt to enter an event when it costs too much, no?

With a weaker rand, increased costs in fuel and almost everything else logistics must surely also increase in price?

I don't declare to kbow much... but is ASG really satan spawn as some make them out to be?

Everything is a business, everyone must eat... profit is profit....

• 4 months later...

Anyone can decidr npt to enter an event when it costs too much, no?

With a weaker rand, increased costs in fuel and almost everything else logistics must surely also increase in price?

I don't declare to kbow much... but is ASG really satan spawn as some make them out to be?

Everything is a business, everyone must eat... profit is profit....

True dat, however, one cannot help but to get that feeling of being shafted.

Maybe ASG could elaborate on the details?

Guest EdEdEd

True dat, however, one cannot help but to get that feeling of being shafted.

Maybe ASG could elaborate on the details?

hehe, your avatar is checking my revolving light...

• 1 month later...

Am i confused a 3 day stage race that provides food for R720... that seems cheep to me.

1 Day three stages. Compared to the Kremetart which offers pretty much the same at R540, I'd say it is expensive in my opinion.

I agree, in my opinionthe Jock is way too expensive if you compare it to the Kremetart.

All ASG race are too expensive. Problem is, other race organizers see that people are willing to pay those prices and they then also charge high prices, like the Bela Bela classic, last year it was around R200, now it is R250.

Yes I do complain and yes I choose not to ride those races, they probably won't miss me, but I won't miss them either

Always wanted to do Jock, but to fork out R720 for, let's be honest, a single race they split into three...

Mmmmmmmm......

I have a 3 stage entry for the Jock Cycle 2014 . Cant make the date . Anyone interested in taking over my entry ?

I have a 3 stage entry for the Jock Cycle 2014 . Cant make the date . Anyone interested in taking over my entry ?

PM sent

• 1 month later...

hi all

wanted to know if anyone that has done this race before or that lives in nelspruit has some advice on acco for this race. whats a good place to book? There'll be 3 of us... we'll also be fighting it out for the lanterne rouge on the day

thanks