Whats in your commuting backpack and what type?

Active Monkey

Wish i could but policy is that we are not allowed

Get a new job!

;)

Are you not allowed to leave a tog bag or what is the policy?

Ask them to install lockers.

I leave a bag with a couple of sets of clothes, socks and onnies at the shop.

Collect the bag and then go and shower at Virgin Active which is luckily close by.

It would have been much easier if I could have left stuff at Virgin but that is not allowed. Tried it once only to find my lock was cut and locker cleared. Luckily they kept everything!

Their policy is to clear all lockers at night even if locked. Understandably they dont want everyone storing their crap there!

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Targus - TEB01

Work goodies (inc flaptop, etc)

clothes

lunch (lots of it)

notebooks(not the pc kind, the paper kind)

waterproofing googies (garbage bags

Certain items i try leave in locker at work: shoes, belt, jacket, toiletries. the 15mm lock i sometimes leave locked at work.

feels very heavy (i should weigh it actually) but that only makes me stronger :thumbup:

Edited by Gandalf

Work clothes and shoes, towel, toiletries, multi-tool, pump, patch kit, tyre levers, a couple bombs, and work access card. Cell phone always.

Feels pretty heavy, but at least I can shower where ever as I have everything with me. Besides I don't shower at work, I use a sports centre just under 1km from my work.

Crumpler ( Belly M )

Best bag i have ever used , mine is 4 years old now and still has not gone soft or lost its shape . its done about 20 000km ( actually its way more than this ,im just being conservative ) on my back in all weather . takes laptop , cell , clothes , food ( just not shoes , leave those at work )

they are not cheap but so worth the money , as it will last you well like for ever .

Thanks for the tip!

Edited by Maxxis

I use an oldish Karrimor Spirit 30L daypack... I can fit a hell of a lot in the bag if necessary.

I have also started storing clothes etc at work to save the mission and weight EVERY day, but all in all not a problem.

http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Karrimor-Spirit-30-Rucksack-/00/s/MTYwMFg5OTM=/z/flkAAOxytQxSGi9I/$(KGrHqVHJ!8FH6ouQLfNBSGi9ICl3!~~60_12.JPG

I need to get a backpack and lock, some good suggestions here. Just need to get one big enough to also take shoes with (not swapping my cleats for regular shoes). Sounds like you end up carrying a lot of extra KGs, But that only makes you stronger.

• 3 weeks later...

I carry a change of clothes, a towel, lunch, and spare tubes and pump, multi tool. Cell phone obviously, ID is important for riding alone.

Important thing i found for backpack is the strap around your waste, keeps it from strangling you unexpectedly.

I have 2 Targus backpacks. One big one that I had at my previous company which fits a 15.6inch laptop. I use this if I havent left my clothes and stuff at the offers and need to ride it in. I also have a really small backpack which fits my current 13inch work laptop. I hardly feel this one when riding. Occassionaly I go and ride the circuit on my way home from work with it on.

Dakine Commuter Pack.

13" MacBook Pro, keyboard and magic mouse, 2 iPads, keys, cables, charger and few documents.

Space for a lot of extra stuff also. Great and super comfortable pack.

Good thinking to post this on a public forum.. Nothing like letting potential abusers know what most of us carry...

Good point they might even realise that we use expensive bikes to get work too :whistling: , LOL! Just kidding.

Good thinking to post this on a public forum.. Nothing like letting potential abusers know what most of us carry...

Not totally sure the average bike jacker spends his time trolling cycling forums...;-)

I must stop reading these commuter threads until I find a job that provides a shower

I use the local Virgin Active. Not convenient, but better than nothing.

On the way to work: My lunch, about .5 to 1 litre water, multitool, 2 bombs plus connector, tubeless repair kit,

On the way back: Same, except lunch boxes are empty.

Targus student back pack that I have been using for propably 6 years now if not more. Still as good as the day I bought it.

I carry:

My Laptop + accessories (mouse, ext hdd, etc)

Lunch + Sandwiches,

Access cards and keys,

Cycling lights to plug on in bad light,

Work clothes (Shoes, toiletries, towels and belts are left in the office)

Cellphones and wallets obviously.

Yes it is a bit of weight and did a few 40 - 60 km rides in the last couple of weeks with it on my back but you get stronger and used to it on the longer distances.

I have shower facilities at work.

Edited by Bateleur1

Did my first commute two days before christmas, 16 kms, CPT cycle lane to Gardens. We now have showers - but the backpack schlepp wasn't great. Have since decided to leave work shoes at the office. Second day felt much lighter - forgot to take towel, which sucked a lot... keen to optimize my packing over the next few days. I cant imagine carrying a laptop and ipad on my back.

One question: safety wise, do you guys carry pepperspray or something? I did get fairly nervous at stages.

Edited by ibruegge