Whats in your commuting backpack and what type?

Active Monkey

^^ got the Momentum.

Its pretty much exactly what I wanted. Great features for cycling commute, now to see if I get 5+ years out of it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 months later...

Anyone know where I can get one of these? 

attachicon.gifBack Sack.jpg

The Zuma model will be available within the coming weeks. Available from "The Public Protector Online".

I’ve been using CapeStorm’s RUSH 25L PACK that I picked up at Sportmans’ a year ago for about R600

It’s pretty comfortable and still in surprisingly good shape considering the abuse it taken.

http://www.capestorm.co.za/sites/default/files/styles/product_main/public/products/csb07-_rush-25_web.jpg?itok=p-YX5jTF

It doesn’t offer any real protection for iPad’s & Laptops so they are locked up at the office.

The bag usually contains:

- Clothes and toiletries

- Site Boots (Which are frikken heavy)

- Lunch box

- Leatherman & Park Tool

- Basic spares, inflator & Lube

I have two issues with this product:

- The zips tend to slide open when the pack is full. I’ve had to backtrack a couple of times to collect lunch boxes and clothes strewn along the road

- Inadequate waterproofing (On the outside at least). After a good drenching the pack is soaked but the ironic thing is that once the water is inside it pools nicely at the bottom of the pack

It’s adequate but I think it’s time for an upgrade

• 1 month later...

Anybody using a bike rack to carry their backpack? I notice quite a few guys commuting on cycles with rear bike racks but still wearing their backpacks. So it seems backpacks don't work as well as pannier bags on rear racks.

I have a fancy laptop backpack that goes with me everywhere. It holds enough laptop, chargers, cables, documents, files, USB sticks etc to run my business. Occasionally I commute on the bike. Then I take out a few heavy items, like the laptop and documents, out of my backpack, throw in some spare cloths and cycle gear, put it on my back and ride. But it is a bit heavy and it gets quite sweaty.

Now I am planning to dust off my old steel bike to use as a gravel grinder/commuter. One consideration is to fit a bike rack of some sort. I am looking at something to securely carry the backpack so I don't have to get to work with sweaty back.

Options are to get a rear rack from a LBS and make a plan with adaptors and bungee to hold the backpack. Otherwise a plan to carry the backpack on a handle bar mounted rack. Somehow I feel that being able to keep an eye on the backpack while cycling might be nice. Would 5kg or 10kg on the handlebars  be a problem?

Comments or suggestions welcome before I go and try and make something...

Anybody using a bike rack to carry their backpack? I notice quite a few guys commuting on cycles with rear bike racks but still wearing their backpacks. So it seems backpacks don't work as well as pannier bags on rear racks.

I have a fancy laptop backpack that goes with me everywhere. It holds enough laptop, chargers, cables, documents, files, USB sticks etc to run my business. Occasionally I commute on the bike. Then I take out a few heavy items, like the laptop and documents, out of my backpack, throw in some spare cloths and cycle gear, put it on my back and ride. But it is a bit heavy and it gets quite sweaty.

Now I am planning to dust off my old steel bike to use as a gravel grinder/commuter. One consideration is to fit a bike rack of some sort. I am looking at something to securely carry the backpack so I don't have to get to work with sweaty back.

Options are to get a rear rack from a LBS and make a plan with adaptors and bungee to hold the backpack. Otherwise a plan to carry the backpack on a handle bar mounted rack. Somehow I feel that being able to keep an eye on the backpack while cycling might be nice. Would 5kg or 10kg on the handlebars  be a problem?

Comments or suggestions welcome before I go and try and make something...

I have travelled with 8kg on a MTB bar off-road if it helps. 

I have travelled with 8kg on a MTB bar off-road if it helps. 

Thanks, that's one data point. A handle bar mounted backpack rack would also work on a dual sus MTB.

Anybody know where you can get something like that?

• 3 weeks later...

Been thinking of going the carrier option as well, but only to lessen the strain on my back and to help a bit with the center of gravity.  I would like the bike to carry the weight and not my shoulders and back.

One problem I do have is where the mount the carrier on the bike.  With a old style bike it is easy, with QR not so easy, and afraid it I mount it to some points it might break the mountings.

So I still have to do a bit of reading on what to make, what to use and how to mount to the bike.

In Germany bike racks and bags are very very popular but I still hate it.  I still prefer a good back pack on my back.  In my opinion in bad weather conditions, the racks are just more in the line of fire when it comes to water and mud sprays.  Ends up being more to clean for me.

My commuting bag of choice:

http://www.totalmerchandise.co.uk/uploads/product-images/recyclable_Rainham_drawstring_bag3.jpg

http://www.totalmerchandise.co.uk/uploads/product-images/recyclable_Rainham_drawstring_bag3.jpg

Doesn't those thin strings irritate you? Or do you not carry too much weight in it.  I suppose if only clothes then it could work well.  But as soon as there is a bit of weight then I can only imagine that they will hurt.

Tried it once.  Made it 2 km from the office, turned around and left it in my car.  But that said, mine did not last.  The cord unraveled and bag fell off.  So the german blood took over in me

Archived