Washing my MTB, how often?

CraigCCW

I have recently got a new MTB, and have been trying to keep it looking as new as possible. After every ride, I have been rinsing the bike down with a hose (on a very low pressure), then wiping it down with a dry towel.

I have been applying lube every third ride that I go on.

Am I washing the bike too often, should I be doing it less so as not to cause any long trem damage to the components?

because you dont want water forced behind the bearing seals where ever they may be. It purges the grease thus degrading or completely removing bearing lubrication. Same applies to lubrication at pivoting points and sliding faces like the oil and dust seals on your fork and shock. Just dont aim the pressure washer directly at them, you will be fine.

the most important parts to keep cleaned and lubed are your chain and your groupset dirt in there works like grinding paste so after every ride give them a good clean one of those chain cleaners are very handy . cleengreen soft brush and water and a brush like this for the groupset also handy

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=678648642156331&set=a.672425736111955.1073741828.671405139547348&type=1&theater

i found a power link also helps if you want to do a good job on the chain it makes it easy to split the chain and drop it in a bollte of parrafine and shake it round for a few mins the dry the chain with a old towel and relube

I wash after every dirt ride, unless there's no mud, if you don't have sealed bearing in the rear watch where you point the hose, and lube after wash always, a super clean chain will rust overnight. Dilute your degreaser and use as little as possible

Lube you cables as well. Make them last long and your shift will stay crisp and smooth. Finish line wet lube is the business for cables. To get at them shift to biggest cog, then gently pull the cable and release the shifter without turning cranks, then you can take the outers (cable tube) off the frame and slide them around. unless you have solid outers shifter to mech, like most Scootts

Chain cleaner after every ride. Wipe all excess off. I only lube again 10 mins before my next ride after wiping of excess. Then will do a whole bike clean and strip every 3 or 4 rides. Take my chain off and soak in paraffin for an hour or 2 then scrub and dry. IMHO ur cassette and chain must always be clean and lubed before every ride. The muc off chain cleaner spray is a great way to clean ur chain and cassette after a ride without doing a major wash.

I lube after every wash. Chain likes to gather rust.

Noob mistake on my previous bike, got too excited and I think I put too much lube, ended up picking up so much sand mixed with lube couldn't get it clean. Rode out modderfontein in first. Gears said NO. :(

Lesson learned.

Every time you wash an MTB, God kills a kitten…

Then I'm responsible for the genocide that took place in 2013! :whistling:

All jokes aside.

For me it depends on the conditions I rode in. Dusty/dry conditions? just the chain/cassette/derailleurs. For this I will use either powasol/pink stuff. and then the chain with RnR extreme blue to round it off.

Once a week I will give the bike a good clean and each time after a muddy ride she will be washed with the love and care a mistress deserves... :blush:

Hi Craig,

I do the normal washing etc but am lazy. I put lots of "lite" lube onto the chain after a ride and then wipe all the excess oil off. I hope that the oil that I take off, takes the grime off with it. Hope so!!!

Sarge