Transbaviaans 2014

Garfield2010

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda nervous. One partner only started training a few weeks ago, but he is young. Other partner, not started yet, but he picks up quickly so see how he does.

Last shopping item is the light. Still checking out items but all looking good.

Edited by TooTall?

Last shopping item is the light. Still checking out items but all looking good.

I bought this light from Aliexpress for $23 (http://www.aliexpress.com/item/T6-Bicycle-Light-HeadLight-1800-Lumens-3-Mode-Waterproof-Bike-Front-Light-LED-HeadLamp-With-8/654272020.html). Works perfect. Paid for the light on Alibaba and then R35 odd at the post office on receipt of the light for VAT and Clearance. Bargain.

Have not fully tested the battery life yet. Tested it for 6 hours once on the "less" bright setting, this setting I found more than enough for riding in any case. It looks like the same light is selling for R1150 on CWC.

Exposure lights are money well spend, they are a bit expensive but are fantastic quality and will last and last and last. I do a lot of night riding and early morning rides and I can say they are really worth the investment.

Exposure lights are money well spend, they are a bit expensive but are fantastic quality and will last and last and last. I do a lot of night riding and early morning rides and I can say they are really worth the investment.

And said light was well tested through the night at last years Desert Dash. :thumbup:

Tx

Lights are all a bit of a mine field really. Looking for minimum 1200 lumens actual as a starter, 3 settings for power and the med power needs to last for 8 hours or so. For me to use it for long marathons and then shorter brighter setting for night races. Dont want a car battery either. And $500 is pushing it a bit on price..

So only want the world really........

The china light I got has three settings, but the one is the rapid disco light thingy to use for who knows what. Sold as a 1800 lumens, but I cannot compare it with any other light I have, but with the brightest setting I can probably light up the Baviaans.

Have not tested the total battery life, but recon it should reach 8hours (hope), most lights do. Will let it shine over the weekend to check it out, since I am not planning a 8 hour night race any time soon. At 23usd, worth the risk.

anybody got a spare support driver? :)

need our car driven down to jeffreys bay?

will pay in form of beer :) only after our car gets to jeffreys bay :)

• 2 weeks later...

Need a partner in a two man team for Trans Baviaans 2014. Looking to do it under 12h00 and living in Durbanville, Western Cape.

when is it I'm keen, if you haven't found someone yet?

How much does/did a 2 man entry cost compared to 4 man team?

We are a team of 4 but 2 riders are way stronger. I asked them if we could change it and they said:-

1. No at this stage as the race is overly full (not sure what they mean as we are not brining extra riders with and will still use 1 support vehicle for the 4 riders)

2. Maybe later if there is cancellations

3. If they do decide to allow us we will have to pay another entry fee

I then asked what happens if 2 guys just ride away from the other two and they said you will be stopped and forced to wait at all 6 checkpoints.

Has anyone else had a similar problem in the past?

If anyone has 2 teams that want to ride as one team, we have an entry to swop.

We are 4 riders looking to ride in 2 teams of 2 instead of one team of 4.

How much does/did a 2 man entry cost compared to 4 man team?

We are a team of 4 but 2 riders are way stronger. I asked them if we could change it and they said:-

1. No at this stage as the race is overly full (not sure what they mean as we are not brining extra riders with and will still use 1 support vehicle for the 4 riders)

2. Maybe later if there is cancellations

3. If they do decide to allow us we will have to pay another entry fee

I then asked what happens if 2 guys just ride away from the other two and they said you will be stopped and forced to wait at all 6 checkpoints.

Has anyone else had a similar problem in the past?

[Dons flame retardent suit]

Unless 'stronger' means your in contention for a podium, why not just ride it as a long social and enjoy the ride with your fellow, albeit slower riders?

I suspect our team is going to have a similar dilemma - 2 are def stronger and fitter. I'm likely one of the weaker ones, but it's also kinda my team. So I'll just be reigning them back and reminding everyone we're hear to enjoy the experience, since none of us is likely to be able to win this thing.

[ .... awaiting the flames for my heratic suggestions]

Participating in TB 2010, I had a 1 LED 800 Lumens light with a single battery.

After hours of cycling and the sun setting on the Mother of All Climbs, the last thing you want to worry about is lights. Mine didn't deliver, but luckily my other 3 team-mates had sufficient light, so we managed to finish.

In 2014 I wouldn't take the same risk.

• I'd go for a 3LED 2400 Lumens Light, with heavy-duty 8-cell battery included (R950), and
  • I'll take another 8-cell battery (R325) as backup / spare / addition
  • With 4 x modes settings (Low = 1 LED, Medium = 2LED's, High = 3 LED's), it's perfect for pedalling into the night
  • Free Shipping Nationwide

Whatever you choose, have a safe ride at this year's Trans Baviaans and make sure you go prepared.

Eat & drink enough, and enjoy the beauty of the Baviaans Kloof!

post-42483-0-39608100-1401981775_thumb.jpg

post-42483-0-65011900-1401981775_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sportsworld.co.za