Sani pass with the tandem!!

Frohan

We went up to Natal the past Festive season and planned to do Sani pass with our tandem.

On arrival at Sani pass backpackers lodge the afternoon it was pouring and the forecast for the next day didn’t look good…but our luck turned the next morning and we started with blue skies and soon saw the pass in full glory.

It was mostly granny gear but we manage to ride up the whole way without walking once until about 30 meters from the top when the chain snapped, I repaired it and we rode the last bit to the top.

We went through the Lesotho border post and then enjoyed some coffee and biscuits at the “Highest pub in Africa”.

The decent was quick and although it started raining we still had a blast.

post-42252-0-56411200-1389089569_thumb.jpg

post-42252-0-40762700-1389089586_thumb.jpg

post-42252-0-66270900-1389089600_thumb.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats.

We did it on our single bikes a fews ago.

It had been on my to do list since 1999 and was a worth challenge.

I had a local beer as is my custom when visiting a foreign country.

Much respect doing that on a tandem! It is enough of a challenge on a DS by yourself....

Done it twice now. Both times were a slog but let's be honest, the only reason you go up is to come down... :devil: :w00t: !

Well done again :thumbup:

One of the parts I enjoyed was being stopped by this driver and told how mad we were to be riding up the pass on bikes. He then set off down the pass while we went to pub for a beer and snack. We then passed him half way down to RSA border post.

post-43-0-64687900-1389268837_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

An awesome unicyclist from Germany came over to SA to ride around SA on his bike for 5 months, while he was here he rode up Sani Pass on his unicycle. Arne is a machine most definitely, he was also part of the winning team of Ride The Lobster an 800km, 5 day Unicycle race.

http://img.over-blog.com/300x225/2/41/64/84/P1250404.jpg

We went up to Natal the past Festive season and planned to do Sani pass with our tandem.

On arrival at Sani pass backpackers lodge the afternoon it was pouring and the forecast for the next day didn’t look good…but our luck turned the next morning and we started with blue skies and soon saw the pass in full glory.

It was mostly granny gear but we manage to ride up the whole way without walking once until about 30 meters from the top when the chain snapped, I repaired it and we rode the last bit to the top.

We went through the Lesotho border post and then enjoyed some coffee and biscuits at the “Highest pub in Africa”.

The decent was quick and although it started raining we still had a blast.

post-42252-0-56411200-1389089569_thumb.jpg

post-42252-0-40762700-1389089586_thumb.jpg

post-42252-0-66270900-1389089600_thumb.jpg

Hey guys, looks great, Where do u guys go in. I would like to do this route. Don't know where to start?

Please tell me how long it took? I hear it can be up to 3hrs long in a car so can't imagine a bike....

My aim was to ride up with car, cycle down...then back up to car....

Well done guys!

Can anyone tell me how much time does it take to ride the Sani pass? I am planning to go next week.

Thanks!

Where are you going to start and finish?