Tacx trainers.

Dgas

Yea with powermeters it seems there is sliding scale between price vs accuracy & consistancy

Accurate and consistant...SRM as an example....big $$$$

Not 100%(damn close though) accurate but consistant....turbotrainer...mid range $

Neither accurate nor consistant...Strava's calculated power...free

For sure - we have found that the Vortex power and the Cyclops are pretty close to each other, but the Polar Power meter and the Cateye Cs1000 indoor were miles out. I'm not rich enough to own an SRM!

Problem is, there is no Watt Policeman sitting at the top of Suikerbossie or Hans Strijdom with a gatso measuring every cyclist so that we can all compare apples with apples. So until then, if someone tells me they pushed out 700W up a hill, I take it with a pinch of salt. And ask him how much he weighs......

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Boom!!! and that it why its the holy grail....eat less(carry less weight).....train more(up your Watts). All that cycling really is, is moving X weight from Point A to B

edit.....feck...4.2W/kg...koot, you have a strong lady there.

Professional Ultra distance Triathlete! It's a very humbling experience trying to catch her on a flat when she decides on the day she's going to hook the big blade.....

For sure - we have found that the Vortex power and the Cyclops are pretty close to each other, but the Polar Power meter and the Cateye Cs1000 indoor were miles out. I'm not rich enough to own an SRM!

Problem is, there is no Watt Policeman sitting at the top of Suikerbossie or Hans Strijdom with a gatso measuring every cyclist so that we can all compare apples with apples. So until then, if someone tells me they pushed out 700W up a hill, I take it with a pinch of salt. And ask him how much he weighs......

Exactly....accuracy is nice but far less important than consistency wrt powermeters....look i am not saying it must be miles out but 5% out here and there means buggerall. Like you said, no-one actually cares if you can put down 1200W even if its accurate. Tacx and Cycleops seems to be there or thereabout

I would rather have something that reads the watts consistent, which really comes into its own ito showing improvement.

<p>

I have downloaded

- Les Calanche Di Piana

- Cote de Puget

I have been riding the Cote de Puget video for the last 2 weeks, my legs are dying.

I hear what you are saying about using Catalyst but sitting on the training bike for a hour a day is bad enough, at least with the video's there is something to look at. With catalyst there is just a graph.

Only do 2 session a week. Each session is less than 60 min. DO quality over quantity. May be use the videos when it is raining or during winter months. Edited by Zatek

I am seriously considering the cyclops powerbeam with joule....their headunit seems to be a cut above the rest. Its just that they are moer expensive. But hey, in for a penny, in for a pound

If you have a iPad you don't need the head unit, in fact the iPad is much better than the head units. The new head unit is the Joule GPS and in my opinion if you are going to use a head unit and only use it indoors, I would ask for a Joule 3. It has got a much bigger screen and it is much easier to manipulate the wattage up and down on it. I got the Joule 3 with mine while they were waiting for the GPS units. When I got the GPS unit I went back very quickly and swapped it back for the Joule 3. I use a Garmin outside and don't need the Joule for that.

If you don't have a iPad this is a good excuse to get one.

The other benefit of Cycleops is that you can use your 29er on them.

As for the benefit of a trainer, I can vouch for it. There is no hiding on the trainer, if you slack off the trainer quickly reminds you. I do all my interval sessions on the trainer, everything is very controlled and you don't have to worry about finding a suitable route.

The trainer without head unit is now R9,995 so yes it is a big investment.

Exactly....accuracy is nice but far less important than consistency wrt powermeters....look i am not saying it must be miles out but 5% out here and there means buggerall. Like you said, no-one actually cares if you can put down 1200W even if its accurate. Tacx and Cycleops seems to be there or thereabout

I would rather have something that reads the watts consistent, which really comes into its own ito showing improvement.

And therein lies the next controversial suggestion I'm going to make - In my opinion it is better to spend R8000 on a good indoor trainer that reads consistent power than R12000 on a Power Meter. It is very difficult to perform good repeatable power training intervals out on the road - and almost impossible if you are riding in a bunch. So unless you are a full-time pro, do all your power intervals on an indoor trainer. Its better, more repeatable, and cheaper!

And therein lies the next controversial suggestion I'm going to make - In my opinion it is better to spend R8000 on a good indoor trainer that reads consistent power than R12000 on a Power Meter. It is very difficult to perform good repeatable power training intervals out on the road - and almost impossible if you are riding in a bunch. So unless you are a full-time pro, do all your power intervals on an indoor trainer. Its better, more repeatable, and cheaper!

I fully agree. If you have to choose between a power meter and a decent trainer, the trainer will be a much better investment.

I don't think you are that controversial - trying to do intervals on the road using power targets is just DAMN DANGEROUS... especially for the short hard ones.... people forget to look where they are going and whats happening around them while they chase the numbers.

Although training even on a trainer with a power meter screen on your bars leads to some strange behaviours... a la Chris Froome always looking at his stem....

Defnitely....I fully agree. :thumbup:

It makes much more sense to have a power meter in an environment that doesn't change...so the less variables you have...traffic, wind, temp, rain blah blah blah....the more controlled and effective it is.

Edited by rouxtjie

If you have a iPad you don't need the head unit, in fact the iPad is much better than the head units. The new head unit is the Joule GPS and in my opinion if you are going to use a head unit and only use it indoors, I would ask for a Joule 3. It has got a much bigger screen and it is much easier to manipulate the wattage up and down on it. I got the Joule 3 with mine while they were waiting for the GPS units. When I got the GPS unit I went back very quickly and swapped it back for the Joule 3. I use a Garmin outside and don't need the Joule for that.

If you don't have a iPad this is a good excuse to get one.

The other benefit of Cycleops is that you can use your 29er on them.

As for the benefit of a trainer, I can vouch for it. There is no hiding on the trainer, if you slack off the trainer quickly reminds you. I do all my interval sessions on the trainer, everything is very controlled and you don't have to worry about finding a suitable route.

The trainer without head unit is now R9,995 so yes it is a big investment.

Thank you very much for this info....and pulls me even more towards the cyclops trainer. I do have a ipad so no issues there...I will defnitely look into this. The VR and video stuff although lekker is a nice to have....I want to be able to do create watt interval programs and export data. The rest is neither here nor there.

Thank you very much for this info....and pulls me even more towards the cyclops trainer. I do have a ipad so no issues there...I will defnitely look into this. The VR and video stuff although lekker is a nice to have....I want to be able to do create watt interval programs and export data. The rest is neither here nor there.

It does all of that and automatically uploads your data to TrainingPeaks, Strava and a few other sites after your session. You download the VirtualTraining App, plug in the Ant+ key, pair the trainer, heart rate belt and cadence sensor, and Bob's your uncle.

I am still a bit shaky from my session this morning. Like I say no hiding, no thinking, head down and suffer.

I bought mine from www.bicyclepower.co.za directly. Dave is your man!

It does all of that and automatically uploads your data to TrainingPeaks, Strava and a few other sites after your session. You download the VirtualTraining App, plug in the Ant+ key, pair the trainer, heart rate belt and cadence sensor, and Bob's your uncle.

I am still a bit shaky from my session this morning. Like I say no hiding, no thinking, head down and suffer.

I bought mine from www.bicyclepower.co.za directly. Dave is your man!

BEA.....UTIFUL

That really appeals to me...Does it come with bundled software, or is that with the joule only

BEA.....UTIFUL

That really appeals to me...Does it come with bundled software, or is that with the joule only

I don't really use the software but I think it is a free download. I did get a USB ant+ dongle with mine as well so you can control the unit from a PC/laptop as well and do the VR thing on there as well. I used it once or twice. Like you I am only interested in the intervals.

Edited by Newboy

I had a Tacx flow and I currently have a simple Cylce ops Fluid 2 and IMO the Cycle ops is better built and easier to set up.

The killer with a trainer is that is it takes you 10minutes to setup you wont ride it this is why I got rid of the Tacx cause you had to plug in all the wires plug it into a power outlet and connect a PC.

Tacx comes standard with TTS with some excercises and tests as well and VR wolrds if you have a steerer frame. You can purchase the Advanced TTS and with that you can set opponents who can attack, set wind speed and direction, setup your own excercises and you can save your previous exercise and ride against yourself. Import rides from your GPS data. You also have the option to race online.