Tacx trainers.

Dgas

Recently I bought a Tacx I Vortex trainer. ( I had a Tacx Fortius for a few years).

- had anybody got a I Vortex ?

- what is your opinion on it?

- do you think that the wattage displayed is realistic?

- when going downhill I get some ridiculously high speeds displayed, do you also get that?

- what watts do you ride at in the mountains?

- I have downloaded 2 of their videos which videos do you have?

- for training I use the videos, what do you use?

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the I-flow. I think its better than normal trainers assuming you do your FTP test on the trainer and training with power. Tacx calculate the downhill speed that's why it is so high.

I have the following software:

•Col du Tourmalet 2010

•Training with Cadel Evans

•Training with Milram - Switzerland

•Training with Rabobank 2010 - Spain

•Training with the Schlecks - Luxembourg

•Argus

•Honister Pass

I find using Catalyst (this may be outdated ito of the new trainer models) to be more beneficial.

You can design the session according to your needs (intervals, recoveries etc).

I had a I magic and just always changed the resistance myself to ensure I do all my intervals at the right wattage....made me strong as hell! I have sold my trainer and I do regret it, it's the best possible training as all your measurable parameters remain the same everytime. It takes commitment though to remain motivated to train

Wish I had the moola at the moment for a turbo trainer, tossup between...pro's and con's for each

Tacx Bushido

Tacx Vortex

Wahoo kickr

Cycleops Powerbeam Pro with Joule

Im keen to follow this topic, would really like to find out if it is all worth it. :thumbup:

mmmmm worth it I would say sure....but its depends on what you put in. Its not like a new set of wheels or frame where you will feel the difference immediately. These advanced turbo trainers give you access to two things

FTP number(the magic number you will use in power training)

Power to weight ratio....the holy grail ito performance measurement

I have downloaded

- Les Calanche Di Piana

- Cote de Puget

I have been riding the Cote de Puget video for the last 2 weeks, my legs are dying.

I hear what you are saying about using Catalyst but sitting on the training bike for a hour a day is bad enough, at least with the video's there is something to look at. With catalyst there is just a graph.

How many hours a week do you ride on the trainer?

Recently I bought a Tacx I Vortex trainer. ( I had a Tacx Fortius for a few years).

- had anybody got a I Vortex ?

- what is your opinion on it?

- do you think that the wattage displayed is realistic?

- when going downhill I get some ridiculously high speeds displayed, do you also get that?

- what watts do you ride at in the mountains?

- I have downloaded 2 of their videos which videos do you have?

We use Vortex trainers for testing - they seem fine, although we haven't connected them up to the PC yet.

I wouldn't really concern myself about the accuracy of the Watts - the most important thing, is to try and do all your power training under constant conditions on the same trainer. So if you do your FTP test on your Vortex, and your value is 200W, then you train at 200W on that specific trainer. The problem with realistic values comes in when boys will be boys and we all try and compare our max power output - then my 200 Vortex Watts will not be the same as your 200 Cyclops Watts for example.

mmmmm worth it I would say sure....but its depends on what you put in. Its not like a new set of wheels or frame where you will feel the difference immediately. These advanced turbo trainers give you access to two things

Stupid question what is a FTP number?

I use mine quite a lot, had the Tacx Fortius before the Vortex. I live in Four Ways area in JHB, no chance of riding on the local roads, the only option is the Cradle on the weekends or Kyalami during the week. I have ridden both so many times it's almost as bad as sitting on a trainer. Kyalami is actually worse.

We use Vortex trainers for testing - they seem fine, although we haven't connected them up to the PC yet.

I wouldn't really concern myself about the accuracy of the Watts - the most important thing, is to try and do all your power training under constant conditions on the same trainer. So if you do your FTP test on your Vortex, and your value is 200W, then you train at 200W on that specific trainer. The problem with realistic values comes in when boys will be boys and we all try and compare our max power output - then my 200 Vortex Watts will not be the same as your 200 Cyclops Watts for example.

Yea with powermeters it seems there is sliding scale between price vs accuracy & consistancy

Accurate and consistant...SRM as an example....big $$$$

Not 100%(damn close though) accurate but consistant....turbotrainer...mid range $

Neither accurate nor consistant...Strava's calculated power...free

Couldn't agree more - Power to weight is the most important thing we strive for - my wife's FTP of 250W seems pretty measly compared to my 290W. But her power to weight ratio of 4.2W/kg absolutely destroys my 3.6W/kg

Stupid question what is a FTP number?

I use mine quite a lot, had the Tacx Fortius before the Vortex. I live in Four Ways area in JHB, no chance of riding on the local roads, the only option is the Cradle on the weekends or Kyalami during the week. I have ridden both so many times it's almost as bad as sitting on a trainer. Kyalami is actually worse.

Functional Threshold Power...its a big word for how much you can hurt for 20min(avg watts of 20min period) or like some put it your 60 min TT avg power less 5%-7% . You have to do a FTP test to determine said number....plenty online. That is the base number that determines your power zones for training. Very very very cool number to have...for training purposes of course

Wish I had the moola at the moment for a turbo trainer, tossup between...pro's and con's for each

Tacx Bushido

Tacx Vortex

Wahoo kickr

Cycleops Powerbeam Pro with Joule

I have a Cycleops Powerbeam Pro. I used to use it with the Joule but the new iPad interface is the best thing ever. You can free ride (set your own wattage), build your own interval session before hand and you can download some virtual reality rides. All you need is the Ant+ dongle to plug into your iPad.

The Cycleops agents are also amazing to deal with, they sort out any issue very quickly.

Couldn't agree more - Power to weight is the most important thing we strive for - my wife's FTP of 250W seems pretty measly compared to my 290W. But her power to weight ratio of 4.2W/kg absolutely destroys my 3.6W/kg

Boom!!! and that it why its the holy grail....eat less(carry less weight).....train more(up your Watts). All that cycling really is, is moving X weight from Point A to B

edit.....feck...4.2W/kg...koot, you have a strong lady there.

Edited by rouxtjie

I have a Cycleops Powerbeam Pro. I used to use it with the Joule but the new iPad interface is the best thing ever. You can free ride (set your own wattage), build your own interval session before hand and you can download some virtual reality rides. All you need is the Ant+ dongle to plug into your iPad.

The Cycleops agents are also amazing to deal with, they sort out any issue very quickly.

I am seriously considering the cyclops powerbeam with joule....their headunit seems to be a cut above the rest. Its just that they are moer expensive. But hey, in for a penny, in for a pound