Polar V800

SwissVan

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used a Polar CS600x and more recently an RCX5 (for the multi-sport stuff). Both units worked beautifully. Initially I used the G3 GPS unit and upgraded to the G5 when it was released (G3's battery life was limited to around 3hrs on a rechargeable penlight battery vs. around 20hrs on the G5).

They were both great, I loved the fact that the RCX5 would read HR whilst swimming as well. I'm quite forgetful so having to remember one extra item every time I rode became a pain in the ~ss. Having to remember when last it was all charged was also a problem. Although the units themselves had seemingly endless battery life, the fact that the memory in either unit was very limited became a problem for me as well.

I've subsequently changed to the Garmin Edge 510 and Forerunner 910XT. Although both need charging as does the Polar GPS unit, at least there is some sort of meter telling one how long to go before losing power.I also have one less thing to forget.

The Polar units above were my third and fourth Polar products and I must say, although the last two had user changeable batteries, I do not miss having to either make an appointment with the guys in Midrand to get repairs and other maintenance done or the alternative of taking it into a dealer and waiting a week. Garmin has sorted this out very well.

After all of this, I never had a software issue with Polar in all the years I used one, not the same for Garmin. I resisted the move to Garmin for ages after loads of "Garmin pressure" from my friends. Having eventually made the move though, I think the total experience with Garmin vs. Polar has converted me for the foreseeable future.

I still miss lots of stuff about the Polar units though and am jealous when I see my wife wearing my RCX5 when she heads off on her run every morning...

Edited by Jigghead

I have been a polar user for 10 year now and must say that I really like their products, service, durability and even love the software especially compared to connect.garmin which is atrocious.

I couldnt help but notice that they were on a steady decline compared to other models especially regarding two issues:

• They only use their own W.I.N.D protocol that makes it impossible to communicate with any accessory other than polar.
  • People want the integrated GPS. This didnt really bother me, but it does most people. Those who wonder if swimming with the gps pod is accurate.....it is not. I did 1.8 km this holiday in 22 minutes.....not even close to accurate. I do think using gps and accelerometer thing gives to a much more accurate reading.

I think Polar is going to nail it with the new model. It has everything the 910XT (which is the undisputed tri watch) offers plus quite a bit more.

• Much longer battery life. That is a major plus.
  • People seem very impressed with the analysis tools that will be used.
  • It calculates your normal daily activities and incorporates them into a bigger picture. This is actually very important as you recover differently if you have to go shopping for 3 hours after a long cycle with you spouse than just lying on the couch. The rise of fitbits and similar devices shows the general public's need for these products. Now you have a uber sports watch with this included.
  • Using bluetooth technology is clever going forward. Most of us use a smart phone. The watch seamlessly interacts with your phone. You can run polar software in it, strava, endomondo, whatever. As I understand you will be able to connect it to more than one as you watch will also transmit a signal. Futhermore a new customer will definately look at BLE and ANT+ and might well choose BLE because it is compatible with his phone. Must power meters will have BLE in the future. It sucks big time for those with current power meters however and I'm pretty sure they wont move for a while. Futhermore it doesnt limit you to polar HR belts, cadence sensors etc. as you can just pick up a 3rd party unit that uses BLE eg. wahoo.
  • It has an amazing amount of potential in the future via updates and possibilities are endless. Something like real time tracking is allready being discussed.
  • It has the barometer (which is super important for altitude) and every other feature that you can think of.

The proof will lie in the pudding however, but like DC Rainmaker states is that Polar usually doesn't oversell and under deliver. Garmin will probably also launch a new watch this year and after that I will probably might a decision on my new watch. I just cant see how they are going to top the V800.

I think Polar is going to nail it with the new model. It has everything the 910XT (which is the undisputed tri watch) offers plus quite a bit more.

• Much longer battery life. That is a major plus.
  • People seem very impressed with the analysis tools that will be used.
  • It calculates your normal daily activities and incorporates them into a bigger picture. This is actually very important as you recover differently if you have to go shopping for 3 hours after a long cycle with you spouse than just lying on the couch. The rise of fitbits and similar devices shows the general public's need for these products. Now you have a uber sports watch with this included.
  • Using bluetooth technology is clever going forward. Most of us use a smart phone. The watch seamlessly interacts with your phone. You can run polar software in it, strava, endomondo, whatever. As I understand you will be able to connect it to more than one as you watch will also transmit a signal. Futhermore a new customer will definately look at BLE and ANT+ and might well choose BLE because it is compatible with his phone. Must power meters will have BLE in the future. It sucks big time for those with current power meters however and I'm pretty sure they wont move for a while. Futhermore it doesnt limit you to polar HR belts, cadence sensors etc. as you can just pick up a 3rd party unit that uses BLE eg. wahoo.
  • It has an amazing amount of potential in the future via updates and possibilities are endless. Something like real time tracking is allready being discussed.
  • It has the barometer (which is super important for altitude) and every other feature that you can think of.

The proof will lie in the pudding however, but like DC Rainmaker states is that Polar usually doesn't oversell and under deliver. Garmin will probably also launch a new watch this year and after that I will probably might a decision on my new watch. I just cant see how they are going to top the V800.

I hope so, going to order mine tomorrow.

Just hope like hell that there will be at least one compatible chest strap for V800 and CS400 amongst polar whole range of chest straps.

I hope so, going to order mine tomorrow.

Just hope like hell that there will be at least one compatible chest strap for V800 and CS400 amongst polar whole range of chest straps.

Almost 100% sure there it wont be. I have about 3 belts and 4 of the sensors in a drawer somewhere. That is the price switching over to BLE, but rather have a extra belt than a powermeter that wont work with it.

I reckon I will buy one as well when they are available

I spoke to the distributor and they are hoping for April/May (but to not have confirmation). They also cant give a price yet as it will depend on the exchange rate when they bring it in.

I spoke to the distributor and they are hoping for April/May (but to not have confirmation). They also cant give a price yet as it will depend on the exchange rate when they bring it in.

Thanks for the info. I am not in a hurry for a watch. Have a CS600, RS800CX(which I am not using, virtually brand new) and a RC3GPS which I am using for cycling, running and horse riding

The thing is not going to be cheap...LBS told me about 500 Franks...so i asked them to confirm before ordering it.

DC rainmaker says $449 with HR strap which should make it about 405 Franks / ZAR 4888...EISH Master thats heavy

The thing is not going to be cheap...LBS told me about 500 Franks...so i asked them to confirm before ordering it.

DC rainmaker says $449 with HR strap which should make it about 405 Franks / ZAR 4888...EISH Master thats heavy

Eina..just got the official phone call from the LBS that I was dreading...

Swiss price = 569 Franks... = ZAR 6782

Why do I get the feeling we being ripped off here (not necessarily by polar but maybe by the LBS)

Cajees?

Nope, Cajees haven't arrived here...yet

Or did u mean Cagey?...

Here's a picture of them, seriously

The dude in the blue shirt with the big smile, that's him the one who phoned...

post-182-0-02740300-1390298982_thumb.png

Edited by SwissVan

Eina..just got the official phone call from the LBS that I was dreading...

Swiss price = 569 Franks... = ZAR 6782

Why do I get the feeling we being ripped off here (not necessarily by polar but maybe by the LBS)

How many beers can he buy with 569 Franks?

The price is a bit steep now, but not so bad in the long run. I bought my S720 back on 2003 for R 2000 or something, and still using it with no issues, except for the odd battery change now and then. I'm sure the new product will be of the same quality and should be good for another 10 years.

Still 2k less than a Ambit 2