Polar V800

SwissVan

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For those wanting to get one it might be quicker to order it straight from polar instead of waiting for the shops to get them, mine came straight from polar in a few days and it's still not to be seen in any local sport shops yet.... Well not in displays

• 2 weeks later...

So... just over a week of using it now and tbh some days i love it and others it irritates me...

Edited by SwissVan

For those wanting to get one it might be quicker to order it straight from polar instead of waiting for the shops to get them, mine came straight from polar in a few days and it's still not to be seen in any local sport shops yet.... Well not in displays

Not sure that Polar SA allows direct orders. I'm sorry that they took so long to come to the party with GPS integration, I ended up changing my Polar CS600x for a Garmin Edge 510 and my Polar RCX5 with a Garmin 910XT(subsequently given to my Mrs. and replaced with a Feinx 2). Both the Polars were linked to my little GPS5 unit.

The only reason I made the change was that being my forgetful self I often forgot to either charge the GPS unit or if I did forgot to take it out the house with me.

I prefer the Polar interaction with PC as well as user, I still miss the Polar units, but I'm not about to make the change all over again having spent more than my wife realizes on "Garminising" my life. :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

Polar service in SA is also up to sh~t which Garmin has fixed very well. The difference I noticed was that Polar required backup far less frequently than any of my Garmins ever have.

Not sure that Polar SA allows direct orders.

I was also suprised when my Wiff told me she ordered it direct from Polar switz on the polar.ch website. It was actually shipped from the Netherlands.

I can understand why some people get pee'd off with polar, i've been "polarized" my whole life and with this new one I was hoping for more. Not saying its not great, but its a bit of a trade off imo, some things are better and some things not....which imo should not be the case when you spend this amount on their latest and greatest.

After just over a week’s basic usage my impressions so far:

1. Sport profile (Running, cycling, swimming and others) screens that are easy to read and can be customized to show what you want and where you want it to be displayed (top, middle, bottom)

2. Recovery Status function – Still trying this out but basically it takes all activity (work, training, sleeping, etc…) into account (have to wear the watch all the time) and tells you what your level of training “stress” is at the moment and when it is expected to change. You can see how many hrs you sleep, sit, stand, walk etc….

post-182-0-23411100-1404380104_thumb.jpg

post-182-0-41661300-1404380117_thumb.jpg

3. GPS connectivity (finding satellites) is quick, quicker than my Edge 500 and my wifes Nike+ sports watch.

Dislikes:

1. The strap in general, but particularly the rubber bit that goes around the strap that is meant to hold the end of the strap down. It is awkward to thread the strap through when you put the watch on. Thought it might just be me and not being used to it but still finding it to be awkward and frustrating when you in a rush or adjusting the strap while on the move.

2. Polar flow and the old protrainer software don’t talk to each other, you cannot transfer your old data to the new software (yet). They should have made this possible before releasing the new product imo.

3. No gps function or distance measuring in the swim mode (yet). It would be so nice not to have to manually count how many lengths you have done to be able to record your swim distance. It should be there from the beginning and not “still coming”. Yes in theory you can use the running mode while swimming..BUT thats besides the object of having a multi sport gps watch.

Would be nice to hear other users feedback, i know there a some being used in SA.... can see them from the polar flow website

Edited by SwissVan

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone know where in JHB one can purchase the v800? Got an email from polar saying the watch is available, but doesn't say where.

Got mine today.

I think its a step in the right direction.

SO FAR:

Dislikes - daily activity is not very clear and no android app support.

Got mine today.

SO FAR:

What is your max heart rate when flipping burgers??? :whistling:

Got mine today.

SO FAR:

Also no app for iPhone 4, only for 4S and higher

Anyone know where in JHB one can purchase the v800? Got an email from polar saying the watch is available, but doesn't say where.

Did you find one, if not I will try.

Vey limited quantities came in.

I got my unit Monday afternoon.

Took it to the gym for some spinning yesterday.

I like the fact that you can see exactly in which HR zone you have spend your time and how long in each zone while you are still busy training.

This morning I have changed the training views for the sport profiles on the polar flow web... Synced to my Iphone and everything was updated immediately. :thumbup:

Man I love this unit.

Few usefull things that I found out this morning.

1. In the pre training view if you hold and press the light button you can you can quickly change some settings, this include the altitude calibration should you require to do so.

2. press and hold the back button is the short cut to syncing the device.

I cannot wait to take it out on the bike.

I see you can also upload some routes to the unit from the polar flow site. This is something I still want to try and see how it is working and what is displaying on the screen.

Imho money well spend :clap:

Oh and I forgot to add. The new HR strap is a lot more comfy and flexible than the previous one.

Hello Ma'am :devil:

The new strap is flippin great, much better in every aspect than the previous "thing"

Where did u find the routes available to download on the polar flow site? IMO being limited to routes on the polar flow site is a weakness, would be much better if you could import routes from other systems like mapmyride / strava etc.... but maybe that will still come in future?