99er do 2km gravel Malanshoogte on a road bike?

Geeneo

Blergh, guess it's either have mega balls and stick to the front at speed or drop the group and coast in loosing 5 minutes on the bunch. I might chicken out.

The section is right between 2 longish climbs, so I think the groups would be somewhat spread out and if you are a "strongish" climber you shouldn't lose the group even if you take that section cautiously - that's my theory and I'm sticking by it...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also did not see the note when I entered. How do the road tyres and wheels hold up over loose gravel and "sinkplaat"? Seems dodgy...urgh :wacko:

Should be fine, I've ridden on unsealed a fair bit and never had a problem. If you're worried then pick up a pair of All Seasons or Gators these little feckers are as hard nails.

I'm running 4000s. They are a year and a half old went straight through winter and kinda need a change. I'm not touching them until after the Argus tho as they have never punctured or run flat. If it ain't broken... (fingers crossed).

Blergh, guess it's either have mega balls and stick to the front at speed or drop the group and coast in loosing 5 minutes on the bunch.

Or, the option taken by the Pro peleton when descending a dangerous section.

They go down in single file, following the rider ahead and work to re-group at the bottom.

I have never understood why they are such woosies. Even the guys in the Argust Z-bunch can go downhill, 20 abreast, and funnel into a single lane going down past the hospital and turning onto the M3.

Also did not see the note when I entered. How do the road tyres and wheels hold up over loose gravel and "sinkplaat"? Seems dodgy...urgh :wacko:

Raced that little section on tubbies and deep section carbon wheels some years back when Gecko cycles hosted the race, no problems!

#HTFU

:eek:

Should be fine, I've ridden on unsealed a fair bit and never had a problem. If you're worried then pick up a pair of All Seasons or Gators these little feckers are as hard nails.

I'm running 4000s. They are a year and a half old went straight through winter and kinda need a change. I'm not touching them until after the Argus tho as they have never punctured or run flat. If it ain't broken... (fingers crossed).

Running on Conti Gatorskins...only started on road last year Nov. Mainly do mtb, but the full sus 29er is a bit heavy for speed. But then again may be quite entertaining going down that hill at full speed on the mtb ^_^

Running on Conti Gatorskins...only started on road last year Nov. Mainly do mtb, but the full sus 29er is a bit heavy for speed. But then again may be quite entertaining going down that hill at full speed on the mtb ^_^

Here's another ex mountain biker back on the dirt and loving it on slicks. If it's good enough for cuddles...

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2012/11/30/1/evans_giro_7a_3450_670.jpg

Giro del Capo 2007

Was fun

en wie was daai race organiser? (onthou jy die hitte en die hilltop finish?)

I don't think the gravel section is going to be the problem..... Malans, then Visserhok, then Odendaal will sort things out.

Luckily my wifes on a course that weekend and I feel terrible that I have to miss this one :clap:

I don't think the gravel section is going to be the problem..... Malans, then Visserhok, then Odendaal will sort things out.

Luckily my wifes on a course that weekend and I feel terrible that I have to miss this one :clap:

Unfortunately you have to safely negotiate the gravel section before you get to them.

But, as I am not riding the 99'er, it is not my concern anymore. :whistling:

It's just the SA version of the infamous Belgian cobblestone roads. ;)

Here's another ex mountain biker back on the dirt and loving it on slicks. If it's good enough for cuddles...

http://cdn.media.cyclingnews.com/2012/11/30/1/evans_giro_7a_3450_670.jpg

THAT Giro stage.

2009, I think.

Yoh

Stay seated and find the smoothest part of road. Don't push your own limits by trying to follow others. Avoid sudden accelerations while standing if you have too. Take one of these as well.

post-13716-0-11699600-1389346972_thumb.jpg

Have a look on YouTube for a few guys such as Dan MacAskill doing crazy things on carbon road bikes, and then you're doubts will be allayed for your bike on a short 2km of gravel...