Cape Epic 2014

Pieterg

This week Oli shares three stories from teams who battled jippo guts, ITB and an inquisitive son during last week’s ABSA Cape Epic. These okes are the real Cape Epic heroes. by Oli Munnik

While professional riders receive the lion’s share of the Absa Cape Epic media coverage they in fact, at most, make up only 10% of the field. During our tour of duty, Al ‘The Weapon’ Davies and I enjoyed the company of a few ‘run-of-the-mill’ teams who exemplify the effort and sacrifice it takes to overcome the incredible odds required to simply complete the 718kms and 14850m of vertical ascent over the course of eight days.

While we know the escapades of the pros I would like to share three stories from teams who battled jippo guts, ITB and an inquisitive son. These okes are the real Cape Epic heroes.

http://www.bicycling.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Gary-PerkinCape-EpicSPORTZPICS-2-e1396524005877.jpgPhoto by Gary Perkin/Cape Epic/SPORTZPICS

When hundreds of people with highly stressed immune systems come together sharing communal eating, sleeping and ‘relieving yourself’ facilities the chance of catching the dreaded jippo guts ‘bug’ becomes very real. Team Nguni Bulls, comprising of Andrew and Rens (both local Cape Town okes), experienced the debilitating effects of a stomach bug. After making good headway, mid-way through Stage 5 Andrew’s body decided that self preservation was most important, shutting down to protect itself. He had caught a bug.

http://www.bicycling.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Emma-HarropCape-EpicSPORTZPICS-300x199.jpgPhoto by Emma Harrop/Cape Epic/SPORTZPICS

Andrew had perhaps helped himself to one too many salted potatoes or snotty jelly beans at one of the water points where hundreds of hands make direct contact with the nutrition itself. Or maybe it was one too many high fives where hand-to-hand contact can spread germs like wildfire. Or perhaps it was simply bad luck – something all too common at the Epic.

Despite feeling rougher than a bear’s arse, the fire in Andrew’s belly (no pun intended) saw him promise Rens, come hell or high water, that he would make it to Lourensford. It is in these moments where partnerships are tested to the max.

For three days, Rens called in the heavy artillery – his guns – pushing and pulling Andrew whenever and wherever he could. By Sunday, Ren’s compassion had seen Andrew able to conserve enough energy to pedal onto the lawn at Lourensford, victorious despite the odds. Result!

http://www.bicycling.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Karin-SchermbruckerCape-EpicSPORTZPICS-2-e1396524508218.jpgKarin Schermbrucker/Cape Epic/SPORTZPICS

The second partnership I have to highlight is Wim and Chris, riding as Paarl Media Machines, were also pushed to the limit with Chris falling victim to the mother of all tight ITBs. The reason was two fold: Firstly, Chris had two weeks to prepare after he was super-subbed in to replace Stephen who had broken his ankle and secondly, Chris, a multiple SA Champ (XC, BMX and DH) and current masters DH World Champ had admittedly underestimated the challenge that is the Cape Epic.

Arriving with a bike with 180mm cranks (longer than the usual 175mm) and a 2×10 gear setup with NO front derailleur Chris’s setup had The Weapon and me scratching our heads. He assured us that longer cranks gave him more leverage and manual shifting up front wasn’t that difficult. We weren’t sure from which cave Chris had recently crawled up and out, but, by Stage 3 he had fitted shorter cranks and a front derailleur!

On the ITB front, not used to such long distances, Chris soldiered through the event with Wim in close support. Despite shifting his cleats and adjusting his setup, the pain was so bad that he could hardly walk once off the bike. He showed incredible perseverance, literally pedalling with one leg over the last three stages, in order to accompany Wim to the finish line in Lourensford. Next level vasbyt.

Al and I had the pleasure of sharing many laughs with Team Premium Boys, Ernie and Gene, two sout van die aarde Pretoria boytjies who were bleeding through the Epic, but always had a smile on the dials.

While Ernie and Gene were solid on their bikes, their challenges were more on the home front. Ernie’s wife had given birth 4 weeks prior to the Epic and, with him having spent the past few months preparing for the race, was skating on thin ice. So, in fact, simply arriving on the start line was a miracle in itself for him … he was somehow able to juggle his family, work and sporting commitments like a boss.

Ernie’s teammate, Gene also had an interesting story behind his Cape Epic journey. When leaving for the Epic, Gene’s three year old lightie, Liam, couldn’t quite wrap his head around why his Pa was booking out with his mountain bike for an entire week … thinking on his feet, Gene told Liam that he was going in search of Toothless, his favourite cartoon character from the movie How to Train Your Dragon (don’t worry I also had to Google it!).

On hearing this, Gene was now in the ilk of a superhero. Every night, Liam would hear tales of his father’s adventures in search of Toothless. After a few close calls, on Saturday’s Stage 6 Gene had managed to catch Toothless by they tail, but, having been in the pain cave the whole morning, he wasn’t able to hold his grip: Toothless had escaped! Ouma and Oupa, babysitting back home in Pretoria, were picking up the pieces as Liam was beside himself that Toothless was proving to be so evasive.

http://www.bicycling.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/toothless_by_spacevoyager-d5rm4k0-e1396524899573.jpg However, on Sunday, in the mist and rain above Grabouw, Gene got a GPS lock on Toothless, tracked him down and cable tied him to his Camelbak. It was a magnificent moment. Toothless, who was unharmed during his capture, was coming home! High fives all round.

Gene only had one problem. He didn’t quite know if his son was expecting a Toothless figurine (which he had ‘captured’ at the Epic but in fact cleverly bought online) or an actual living, breathing version of the cartoon character. Al was quick to chirp that Gene could always opt for a pet Likkewaan! Good luck cable-tying that to your Camelbak we joked!

While the riders at the sharp end of the race are giving it their all, there are many untold adventures in the pain cave that go unheard. It was fantastic to be amongst the rank and file riders who have literally overcome mountains to earn their finisher medals. Congrats to each and every one who finished and importantly, to every rider who arrived on the start line. Not everyone is able to finish, but simply getting to the Cape Epic start line is an achievement in itself.

http://www.bicycling.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Karin-SchermbruckerCape-EpicSPORTZPICS-e1396524680424.jpgPhoto by Karin Schermbrucker/Cape Epic/SPORTZPICS

The value of partnership in the Epic cannot be over emphasised. Whatever your result, veels geluk, I hope you found your own personal version of Toothless during your journey from Meernedal to Lourensford.

Ciao ciao

Oli

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you climbed 15000meter in 8 days in mud rain heat and cold slept in a wet tent in a wet sleeping bag I think you can talk but if you did not ever even tried it please shut up. I got the t-shirt and proud of it 2014 was my first

Q: How do you know that someone did the Epic?

A: They tell you!

Just kidding buddy. Well done, but remember that everyone is entitled to an opinion. Its up to you to decide whether you take someone's opinion seriously or not.

On the last morning as I was walking out of the breakfast tent, there was n guy holding his partner in his hands crying because his partner were vomiting like crazy as I walked away I had tears in my eyes .That was the Epic you just don’t have room for a mistake you miss the boat you out.I was running around on Saturday night to fix bearings on my back wheel it was scary. Congrats to all the guys and girls that finished and for my partner that contracted malaria 2 days before Epic, Sorry John I know you trained hard and you did your best on Stage 1, you live to fight another day.

You have got to remember that the people who write stories against the Epic and the owner are just jealous little uniformed maggots. They either don't have the means to finish the race or the funds to start it. Funnily enough the race is about neither. It is about a personal achievment as are most things in life. You need not worry about these trolls. They will grow up to be little more than dismal failures. They have nothing to look forward to except their lonely stupid lives with no ambition. I have done 3. Each one has had it's own rewards and mental challenges. They were all as hard as each other in one way or another. Well done to all have done it or are planning to. It really is an experience of a lifetime.

Couldn't agree more boet. What an experience. Did my first one in 2010 and this year did my second one with my girlfriend, who's only been mtbiking for a year. Finished right towards the end of the field, but who cares. I'm just so proud of her.

Anybody ordered there pictures I see we must buy in euros any advise?

Pieter my maat - well done :thumbup:

not yet, hoping there will be other options??

You have got to remember that the people who write stories against the Epic and the owner are just jealous little uniformed maggots. They either don't have the means to finish the race or the funds to start it. Funnily enough the race is about neither. It is about a personal achievment as are most things in life. You need not worry about these trolls. They will grow up to be little more than dismal failures. They have nothing to look forward to except their lonely stupid lives with no ambition. I have done 3. Each one has had it's own rewards and mental challenges. They were all as hard as each other in one way or another. Well done to all have done it or are planning to. It really is an experience of a lifetime.

Oh dear lord - this is even worse than the nay sayers.

Lonely, stupid, no ambition, dismal failures? Methinks you think a tad too much of the Epic. It's a bike race not surviving cancer.

Many hundreds of people do it every year, 60 plussers, amputees, tandems. Sure it's a rite of passage and no easy task but an Epic finishers tee shirt is no holy grail.

Why does the hub always have to polarise into fanboys or h8ers? There is a wide spectrum of people that race Epic - pros that roll it like a boss, tail enders who suffer daily to make cut off and everything in between.

Yes ordered mine. You pay with your credit card. I took the lot and it was R1206 on my payment advice.

I have done both 2013 and 2014 events. (I crashed out in 2012 with concussion). Most people wants to know which was easier. I cut 6 hours off last years time and ended about 100 places better on GC. Was this year easier? Or was I just better prepared?

This year it was wet, muddy and windy with no extreme heat. This year the supposedly easier days was made very hard by the elements.

Last year we had 40 degree heat on some of the easy days.

Was it easier? I honestly don't know, beyond a certain point it is just hard.

I was a lot better prepared this year, both from a physical and mental perspective. My December, January and February training was really spot on. I knew what to expect and was mentally ready for the hard days.

I did enjoy this year a lot more and I think it was because we were never under any cut off pressures and we were lucky with mechanicals and punctures.

I am going to take a break from Epic for a year or two but I will go back to go and get my Amabubesi medal.

I think you missed my point by miles. Doing the Epic is a personal achievment. Any person who runs down another for whatever reason is an idiot. And this is the problem with this place. I rode Epic with a man named Alex Harris. We met the day before the race and had a blast. He has been around the world and done many things. During his time in the USA he told me about the people there. They are very patriotic and stand together. In this country it seems the opposite. Shoot everyone down for their achievements and tell them it is not worth the paper it is written on. Well I don't want to be part of that miserable lot. I would rather encourage people to do what they want and go for it. Not tell them I could have done it in my sleep. Maybe you should give it a go for a few hours. Try and compliment just one person for something they have done.

Didn't miss your point at all. I just think your attitude of "you're with me or you're a maggot, loser, no ambition etc" is an even worse attitude than the nay sayers. Belittling your achievement is one thing - your barrage of insults is quite another.

My insults are directly pointed at people who run others down for their achievements. That includes those who call the Epic a walk in the park. If you have nothing good say, keep it that way. Just say nothing. Why attack people who have done something they have accomplished? Is that not where this was heading?

If you have nothing good to say don't say it...you should follow your own advice and not insult the insulters.

Ultimately I agree with you - thehub has a tendency to rip everyone a new one. Post anything and someone will make you the bad guy/belittle your achievement/attack you etc.

Your over the top attack just raised my hackles that is all. As you were. That concludes this Fridays exchange.

True

He did mention that there were less total climbing though...

Total climbing is but one variable

There's terrain

There's overhead conditions

Suzi said it was the wettest Epic he's experienced. Wet conditions changes everythng, I reckon.