Pieterg

Erik and Suzie. They will make an awesome team

But I'm still fully behind Buys and whoever rides with him

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Strange question for those that have done the EPIC...

The pro's have spares and the like at the waterpoints/tech zones that they may use on their bikes if the need arises. These range from wheels, brake pads to even a seat post with saddle as seen in one of the DSTV highlights programs where the ladies were looking for a spare rear shock.

What do the average joe's do if they need these sort of spares?

Is it tickets for them if they cant get hold of this type of stuff or is there some sort of mini tech shop at the waterpoints that they may call on to purchase stuff ?

On that note, the pro's who enter the Epic are sponsored, whereas the average joe has to pay his own way for an entrance to the event.....surely its just as important that the average joe gets the opportunity to finish the race and not have to pull out do to these sort of mechanicals.

Awesome that Nino and Phil gave scottfactoryracing the win. They worked hard to stay with Nino.

Awesome gesture. Matthys very emotional after that. #Scott2luvit

Well done to Topeak.

Great gesture by Nino and Buys

Edited by Gen

Well, I didn't see that yellow jersey winners coming.

Exciting stuff.

Technical challenges for Songo making the difference.

Another epic Epic!

Strange question for those that have done the EPIC...

The pro's have spares and the like at the waterpoints/tech zones that they may use on their bikes if the need arises. These range from wheels, brake pads to even a seat post with saddle as seen in one of the DSTV highlights programs where the ladies were looking for a spare rear shock.

What do the average joe's do if they need these sort of spares?

Is it tickets for them if they cant get hold of this type of stuff or is there some sort of mini tech shop at the waterpoints that they may call on to purchase stuff ?

On that note, the pro's who enter the Epic are sponsored, whereas the average joe has to pay his own way for an entrance to the event.....surely its just as important that the average joe gets the opportunity to finish the race and not have to pull out do to these sort of mechanicals.

You can carry your own spares or you can buy spare parts from the distributors or retailers in the tech zone or after the stage.

You can carry your own spares or you can buy spare parts from the distributors or retailers in the tech zone or after the stage.

Thanks for that answer.

Are there tech zones at each water point ?

Yes, SRAM and Shimano are represented. They will try to fix what they can. Both are at the finish as well. Not sure if amateur teams can still have a service package with a bike shop just outside race village anylonger. The ACE organisers really tried to squeeze blood out of the stone from 2009 onwards when the plot rental went up and the following year it was astronomical to the point where some were operating out of a van in a side road or at camp sites in the towns the race passed through. Not sure what the race village set up is like now. it may be better or you may have to use the race village tech zone. Pricing on components there is likely to be 10-15% ABOVE retail since I'm sure the tech zone has to pay to be there as well.

Following these two riders. Holding beeeeeeeg thumbs for them:

Absa Cape Epic@AbsaCapeEpic 1m

Batch C off next with @ReubenVN and @DMuhlbauer#absacapeepic pic.twitter.com/jp1a0cONK5

post-1604-0-55016800-1395639384_thumb.jpg

Kelvin Trautman@kelvintrautman 15h

And you thought you were tough. Congrats @ReubenVN on being the first amputee to finish the @AbsaCapeEpic. Humbling! pic.twitter.com/hEIKhjwURZ

post-1604-0-25632300-1396242803_thumb.jpg

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Way to go, Reuben!

Enjoyed watching it this year, some highlights for me, Erik and Nico's unwavering support of Songo, i know its their job but they were always on hand almost appearing by magic when there was an issue, Centrion Vaude unselfish support given to Topeak when they had issues with tires, Songo and Topeak showing mutual respect for each other and congratulating with high fives just before the finish. Torpado factory trying their hardest to get 3rd GC on the last stage, were it not for taking a wrong turn who knows, even Nino and Philip came close. But the best highlight must be watching Nino in action with Buys, then finishing with Beukes and Heyns who took top spot.

Well another year of the Epic has come and gone... What do we do now???? Have to say this has been one of the mostly hotly contested EPIC's in a while. Pity the teams of the Bulls & Merida never finished, would've great to see them all slugging it out for the WIN. But well done to Topeak factory racing & to the Ladies RECM team they fought hard for there title.