Cape Epic 2014

Pieterg

According to the Epic website today has seen the lowest dropout rate of any Stage 1 ever.

Dr. Evil not living up to his usual Stage 1 antics..

No, I think today was tough. But more entrants are now better prepared and know that the Epic is not just another marketing stunt for their companies. Also, most entrants now know that Stage 1 is usually tough, so they just toughen up themselves and push themselves to get over Stage 1.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I think today was tough. But more entrants are now better prepared and know that the Epic is not just another marketing stunt for their companies. Also, most entrants now know that Stage 1 is usually tough, so they just toughen up themselves and push themselves to get over Stage 1.

Possibly, but weather is also a huge factor especially in Robertson on a very hot day, which can normally cause a quick end to your Epic on Stage 1.

BTW, with the rain it is quite cold here in Strand tonight, especially for this time of the year. It will be a cold night in the tents, but if you are tired then not even that will keep you awake.

Good luck for tomorrow if you are doing the Epic, but then you should be asleep by now anyway.

1941455_10152774334868782_804817049_o.jpg

Lol.. nee man Buys must come right so they can ride harder.. nino has too much energy ;)

I saw a pic of that wheelie from the front.. wonder how Evans and Knox would feel if they see they were going taps on a uphill and Nino was wheeling behind them

Possibly, but weather is also a huge factor especially in Robertson on a very hot day, which can normally cause a quick end to your Epic on Stage 1.

Yes, the cool weather may have been a blessing in disguise. It can still get to the early 40s this time of the year in the Breede valley.

Rabubi proving his worth and making his mark on the sprint today.post-7460-0-53760400-1395691069_thumb.jpg

Nice to see a hubber playing with the big boys :thumbup:

Yip, yesterday was tough.... every day in the epic is tough. So your theory is that better preparation is the difference between last years drop-out rate and this year ? Or between 2013-2014 they realized stage 1 is tough ?

Rabubi proving his worth and making his mark on the sprint today.

Nice to see a hubber playing with the big boys :thumbup:

Which one is he? :wacko:

Which one is he? :wacko:

Hehe, no. There is a hubber named Rabubi and Frantasik? Rabon is sometimes called Rabubi....

Jose Antonio Hermida

Hermida goes into anaphylactic shock due to certain dried fruits allergy.

Hermida has lived one of his worst days on the bike. He and his team mate van Houts were leaders of the Cape Epic and have had breakfast like a normal day. Still, some substance included in his breakfast has led him to forget about racing interests. José was aware of his intolerance to some dried fruits 4 years ago and since then he always pays a lot of attention to what he eats.

"It has been a hard time. We were going in the lead group and I've begun to feel cold and I started sweating much more than normal. Then I saw that my heart rate was much higher than it should be and that something was wrong. We have stopped as I was feeling more sick as minutes went by. I ended up lying on the floor with cramps in both legs. I did not know how to stop that and even a helicopter from the organization has seen us and landed to see what was happening. I drank a lot and after 40 minutes waiting on the side of the road my body started going back to normal. After evaluating what options we had, we have decided to ride back to a medical assitance point to visit the doctors", says Hermida from the motorhome .

His discomfort and the wheals that have appeared on his skin have eased a clear medical report: food poisoning. Seeing that the worst was over, José has asked the doctors not to supply any medicine not permitted by the UCI and thereby to be forced to leave the race. So tomorrow the team will continue competing.

It is interesting to highlight the words he had for his teammate: "Rudi has invited me to abandon the race. We were leaders and, in a race of this level, it hurts not to defend your position. But he has seen it clear that the situation was very serious. What we lived today scared him. Once we have started to ride again, he has set the pace and has been talking to me the whole time, making jokes to ease the tension after the bad moments we have lived. He is number 1".

Both remain in competition and now, more than ever, checking how José's body evolves.

Jose Antonio Hermida

Hermida goes into anaphylactic shock due to certain dried fruits allergy.

Hermida has lived one of his worst days on the bike. He and his team mate van Houts were leaders of the Cape Epic and have had breakfast like a normal day. Still, some substance included in his breakfast has led him to forget about racing interests. José was aware of his intolerance to some dried fruits 4 years ago and since then he always pays a lot of attention to what he eats.

"It has been a hard time. We were going in the lead group and I've begun to feel cold and I started sweating much more than normal. Then I saw that my heart rate was much higher than it should be and that something was wrong. We have stopped as I was feeling more sick as minutes went by. I ended up lying on the floor with cramps in both legs. I did not know how to stop that and even a helicopter from the organization has seen us and landed to see what was happening. I drank a lot and after 40 minutes waiting on the side of the road my body started going back to normal. After evaluating what options we had, we have decided to ride back to a medical assitance point to visit the doctors", says Hermida from the motorhome .

His discomfort and the wheals that have appeared on his skin have eased a clear medical report: food poisoning. Seeing that the worst was over, José has asked the doctors not to supply any medicine not permitted by the UCI and thereby to be forced to leave the race. So tomorrow the team will continue competing.

It is interesting to highlight the words he had for his teammate: "Rudi has invited me to abandon the race. We were leaders and, in a race of this level, it hurts not to defend your position. But he has seen it clear that the situation was very serious. What we lived today scared him. Once we have started to ride again, he has set the pace and has been talking to me the whole time, making jokes to ease the tension after the bad moments we have lived. He is number 1".

Both remain in competition and now, more than ever, checking how José's body evolves.

Hope he recovers, guess they can still nail a stage or two considering thats their main goal anyway

Hope he recovers, guess they can still nail a stage or two considering thats their main goal anyway

Me too! Jose is one of the nicest peeps on the international circuit I have ever encountered. Always ready with a joke and a smile…even at 6am outside PMB's McD's! Hahahahaha!

post-1604-0-57238900-1395723501_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tumbleweed