Cape Epic 2014

Pieterg

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i see the weather looks scary!!! :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

I really really don't want to be an alarmist, as I believe that racing an mtb should done in any circumstances.

That said, significant and continuous rain is probably every event organisers biggest nightmare, especially if you have athletes who are at the end of their physical capability .

For now I would say just make sure that you pack the things which make living in a wet environment comfortable. If you are from up country you are familiar with lots of water now, but this may be cold as well, so have the option in your kit of that gear as well.

(I certainly hope the current models are wrong and it clears)

Brings back memories of the dreaded Friday stage at the 2012 Epic! And last year's Cape Pioneer! Not happy at this point! At least I am not sleeping in a tent!

i honestly don't know what clothes will make riding for 6+ hours in cold rain bareable. i am actually really quite scared about this latest bit of information. rain on sunday i can deal with but I'm really scared about cold and wet for the rest of it. being from england doesn't help in the slightest let me tell you. no one goes riding for hours and hours if its pouring and cold..

i honestly don't know what clothes will make riding for 6+ hours in cold rain bareable. i am actually really quite scared about this latest bit of information. rain on sunday i can deal with but I'm really scared about cold and wet for the rest of it. being from england doesn't help in the slightest let me tell you. no one goes riding for hours and hours if its pouring and cold..

Shame man.. was it 2012 when arianne kleinhans finished that one wet stage in tears.

Just try keep your chest as dry as possible that you dont get sick.

where are you all seeing these awful forecasts? the gospel according to yr.no says its going to be dry in robertson and greyton if a bit cooler than recent. 21 degrees sounds like pretty nice riding conditions. better than last years 40 odd but give me 40deg ANYDAY over rain

Make a quick visit to a Columbia store - they have some nice warm underlayers... looks like a space blanket on the inside.

If you keep your head and hands warm, you will have solved half the problem - so skullcap and raingloves too,.

where are you all seeing these awful forecasts? the gospel according to yr.no says its going to be dry in robertson and greyton if a bit cooler than recent. 21 degrees sounds like pretty nice riding conditions. better than last years 40 odd but give me 40deg ANYDAY over rain

http://www.accuweather.com/en/za/robertson/301199/daily-weather-forecast/301199?day=6

I prefer it cooler of 40 deg... but wet will be a PITA...

At this point in time it only looks like Monday night to have rain. Monday and the rest of Tuesday will only be mildly wet. It usually do not rain hard that much this time of the year anyway, but pack your rain stuff anyway.

I would not panick if I were a Epic rider.

Personally I can't stand things on my head except for my Rudy Project. If it gets wet and you get speed it gets cold. That causes hypothermia. But that is just me. I think if you doing the Epic you should know what to do. If not it is probably not the best time to be learning....

Luckily both years I rode, 2011 & 2013, the weather played along nicely! Most important, pack those prettrapper mud guards!! Not lekke to eat sand, mud and all that gunk when its wet! It will also help keep ur eyes clean!

Personally I can't stand things on my head except for my Rudy Project. If it gets wet and you get speed it gets cold. That causes hypothermia. But that is just me. I think if you doing the Epic you should know what to do. If not it is probably not the best time to be learning....

If it gets cold enough, one of those fleece lined scull caps is worth its weight in gold.... especially if it covers your ears.

You will get a buff, I think. Works wonders for me. Even went skiing with mine, so not too worried about the head and throat. Seems my Gore softshell jacket will come out of the closet for the first time this year.

If it gets cold enough, one of those fleece lined scull caps is worth its weight in gold.... especially if it covers your ears.

A beanie is an absolute must for the evenings and nights, particularly as the tents have no insulation.

Brings back memories of the dreaded Friday stage at the 2012 Epic! And last year's Cape Pioneer! Not happy at this point! At least I am not sleeping in a tent!

Day 1 in both 2005 and 2006, although 2005 was dryish the forest was a mud bath. The service guys ran out of brakepads both days, that's when I learned to start a race on new pads and carry 2 sets in my bag.