Majik Forest and Protea Hotel Durbanville

Raydek

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I ended up at Tokai. I am from the south so this is probably where I will be doing most of my rides. I had a friend who has been in the sport for about 4 years show me the ropes.

We started from the car park and went up along the jeep track to Silvermine's boom gate where we turned around and did some single track on the way down. I have never concentrated so hard on a descend, the "fast" descend on the jeep track and the technicalities of the single track really got the adrenalin pumping. I did have 2 "oopsies" though. Went over the bars once but nothing serious at all, the fall damaged nothing but my ego. Then somewhere in Faerie garden just before the bridge I went down again because the bike stalled and I couldn't uncleat in time :blush: So the ego was damaged a little more and I left some skin behind.

All in all it was an awesome day out, very exhilarating, I feel like I am learning to ride a bike again. The forest at sunrise is an absolutely amazing place to be. I cant wait to do it again!!!

love that - the bike stalled. Damn engine ;) Nice one!

wasn't so much the engine as it was indecision as to whether or not I should pedal over that obstacle or not. Took too long to make my mind up and bang! Down he goes :oops:

Hi guys,

Is it safe to ride alone in Majik forest. I'm new to the sport and stay quite close.Been there with my son but never saw some one riding alone.

Cheers :-)

wasn't so much the engine as it was indecision as to whether or not I should pedal over that obstacle or not. Took too long to make my mind up and bang! Down he goes :oops:

Happened to me once or twice before, stupid obstacle (once I fell over into a thorn bush)!!! :thumbdown:

Hi guys,

Is it safe to ride alone in Majik forest. I'm new to the sport and stay quite close.Been there with my son but never saw some one riding alone.

I don't really know, been there twice or so. I have seen a couple of suspicious (and drunk) looking people there...

Well, I found this: http://www.majikforest.co.za/page911.html

Edited by Super Sywurm

Hi guys,

I used to ride there alone 3x a week...never felt in any danger but i'm always pretty vigilant.

Right, sorry for the take-over but I can't find much info using the search - never been a great Googler.

I'm heading down CT way for the Two Oceans. Won't be running but significant other will be. While she is running, I want to explore the CT trails that I have heard so much about.

Any advice? I'll be staying in Somerset West but able and willing to travel. I've heard Jonkershoek is great but you need to ride with a local to find the good stuff. Someone mentioned Schapenberg to me as well as Lourensford. What about Tokai?

Any links and suggestions and starting points would be greatly appreciated.

Right, sorry for the take-over but I can't find much info using the search - never been a great Googler.

I'm heading down CT way for the Two Oceans. Won't be running but significant other will be. While she is running, I want to explore the CT trails that I have heard so much about.

Any advice? I'll be staying in Somerset West but able and willing to travel. I've heard Jonkershoek is great but you need to ride with a local to find the good stuff. Someone mentioned Schapenberg to me as well as Lourensford. What about Tokai?

I hear great things about Jonkershoek. Never done it, but it is on my to-do list!!!

Hi guys,

I also ride there alone sometimes and haven't felt any danger, although I'm usually there in the morning or afternoon when others are on the trail as well. Just be aware of your surroundings... these days even your drive way is not safe sometimes.

All of them are awesome but Jonkers is a particular gem in my opinion. If you are not averse to traveling you can always hit TBMTBC's trails near Durbanville. There is a day fee involved but you are guaranteed some "HOLY SH**!!!" moments. :D

Edited by Musketeer

I think the better question is what shouldn't you ride!

Most of the trails below would benefit with a local - just so you can get the most out of your trip.

Jonkers should definitely be on the short list. As should Oak Valley/ Paul Cluver and possibly Greyton.

Tokai is fun if you are in the area (and you will be on Oceans race day)...

Most of the trails below would benefit with a local - just so you can get the most out of your trip.

Jonkers should definitely be on the short list. As should Oak Valley/ Paul Cluver and possibly Greyton.

Just to add: most weekends you'll find a bunch of Hubbers out there. So if you are that way inclined, post in the Group ride section. I'm sure you'll find someone who is keen to show off our trails...

you have enough great (and free) riding in somerset west. i wouldnt head all the way to Tokai unless you are dropping the wife off for the race and staying in the area. Otherwise do Bottelary Hills, the G-spot in Stellenbosh, Jonkers. Maps online. Ask om a forum for people to ride with and im sure you can find someone

you have enough great (and free) riding in somerset west. i wouldnt head all the way to Tokai unless you are dropping the wife off for the race and staying in the area. Otherwise do Bottelary Hills, the G-spot in Stellenbosh, Jonkers. Maps online. Ask om a forum for people to ride with and im sure you can find someone

The plan is to ride Tokai on Friday because as you say, dropping off the runner puts me pretty close to Tokai. Looking at starting at 7:30. Shout if anyone is keen to join.

Will try out Somerset West and Stellies on Saturday.