short guys 29er

Furbz

I'm 1.70m tall and was in the market for a dual suspension MTB. I was fortunate enough to be able to try both the 27.5 and 29 Scott Spark versions before committing.

Both bikes were stock standard MEDIUMS with identical equipment. Coming from a HT, I felt a major difference when turning on the 29" (expected). The 650B was a pleasure in this space.

In the end, I opted for the 650B. This is a standard by now and wheels, tyres, etc. are hitting the market with all the options.

I've no doubts I would have adapted to the 29", but on the 650B I felt at home almost immediately.

Like some of the guys mentioned, try both and see what you'll feel best on. You can't go wrong either way.

BTW, I worked from the Bioracer sizing system an the recommended frame size was a 43.2cm (17") C-T.

Edited by FondyMig

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 174 and rode/raced the small Giant XTC for plenty kms. It felt very nervous, almost like the wheels were too close together. On very technical terrain I went over the bars a couple of times, could be my lack of skills but felt very nervous.

Now riding Swift Small and it feels totally different, not nearly as nervous. My roadbike is 51.5.

Sizes vary by manufacturer.

Edited by jcza

Hi Furbz, have a look at the Swift Detore in small. The headtube is 90mm (shorter than most other 29ers) and the geometry is 'tuned' to work with 80mm travel fork. Thus easier to get front end lower for a racier setup - if that is what you want.

+1 on Swift, its a fantastic bike. :thumbup:

weird how it works for some and not others... i bought my wife a small Momsen AL729 carbon 29er... goes like a bomb , handles really well, shes riding better than she ever has. bike looks like a race machine too.

thanks for the inputs so far,

i suspected the small 29er would be awkward. a medium looks like its just ok, a small i suspect would look very odd and might not handle as well due to the compromises?

i know that i tried my dads medium niner air niner, that felt way to big, whereas the giant feels ok compared.

I'm 1.72 and ride a medium air niner and a medium specialized epic 29er, both bikes feel a perfect fit.

I ride a many small 29ers. Dont be fooled, they are awesome. The one thing to look at is top tube length. There is usually only a 14 to 20mm difference between a medium and a small with the main change being the stand over height.

This is due to the foot clearence issue between toes and wheel when you turn sharply.

So the compromises are in fact the length of the top tube being too long for a shorter rider, and very little else. Stay lengths and head angles remain the same so 'squeezing' the wheels in is utter rubbish.

At your height with a short stem you will be laughing.

for someone 1.5m tall the length would likely be an issue but otherwise there is no default.

Check the geometry and the length differences of the frames you propose. You may be very pleasantly surprised

I'm 1.65 and have had 2 x small 29ers - loved/love both. Giant anthem x (DS) and then build my own bike onto chinese 29er small frame. I feel more comfortable with a smaller bike - I do sit a bit upright due to back problems & have a very short stem (50mm); do not feel cramped at all.

I am 1.67 and have a couple of small 29ers - the one thing to look at on a 29er is standover height - I can use most medium and small frames from a length point of view - but stick the front wheel on a 6 inch lift - as if you were going up a hill and then see if you have standover clearance - otherwise you are going to be doing some interesting looking restarts on hills.... if you can even get restarted sometimes.

The thing with the small frames that annoys me is that plenty of them will not take a full size bottle - especially on the full suspension bikes.

Don't spend too much time agonizing over this. Yes bike fit is important to a degree but being 1.70 myself you could make a medium or a small work well. You definitely don't need to ride the medium wondering if it's too big all the time, just ride it.

I ride a many small 29ers. Dont be fooled, they are awesome. The one thing to look at is top tube length. There is usually only a 14 to 20mm difference between a medium and a small with the main change being the stand over height.

This is due to the foot clearence issue between toes and wheel when you turn sharply.

So the compromises are in fact the length of the top tube being too long for a shorter rider, and very little else. Stay lengths and head angles remain the same so 'squeezing' the wheels in is utter rubbish.

At your height with a short stem you will be laughing.

for someone 1.5m tall the length would likely be an issue but otherwise there is no default.

Check the geometry and the length differences of the frames you propose. You may be very pleasantly surprised

The one other inescapable compromise is the head tube length. On a small niner, often the designers will have a headache trying to ensure that the overall height of the front end is kept as low as possible. The only way to limit this problem is either by way of keeping the travel very low at the front (max 80/100mm) or putting on a ridiculously small head tube. There is also the option of inverting the stem, but that is a hack job IMO and should not be done except in extreme cases.

That, and the case of "squeezing the wheels in" is a real concern, if you don't get the geometry right. Try as you might to justify it, but if your foot comes into contact with the front wheel when turning either left or right, then the bike's geometry is compromised due to the inclusion of the bigger wheels - and trust me, in this case the extra 1.5" does count.

So no - not all small 29ers will be good for you. It takes a good designer, with a good handle on kinematics and design principles (not to mention logic and good old common sense) to design a good small 29er, that will not have the problems that others have mentioned above. As soon as you increase the frame size, these problems go away (foot clearance, front end height etc) due to the increased measurements. But again, the geometry is key.

Don't spend too much time agonizing over this. Yes bike fit is important to a degree but being 1.70 myself you could make a medium or a small work well. You definitely don't need to ride the medium wondering if it's too big all the time, just ride it.

Again, depending on the bike and the geometry of the frame, the OP may have to worry about it.

I bought a small frame 29r for my wife, and I do not recommend this on anyone. Small frames and 29r wheel sets do not work. I suggest a small and a 650b wheel size.

You sure about this, I'm sure there are a lot of top professionals,weekend warriors & Hub warriors that would totally disagree.

Im 1.69, ride a medium 29er,

Changes I made:

Put on a shorter stem.

Put on a 0 offset seatpost.

I am more comfortable on in than i was on my 26 medium.

I bought a small frame 29r for my wife, and I do not recommend this on anyone. Small frames and 29r wheel sets do not work. I suggest a small and a 650b wheel size.

I have seen many shorter guys than me on Small 29ers and klapping it hard.

Also, the female professionals that are not so tall are mostly on 29ers

You sure about this, I'm sure there are a lot of top professionals,weekend warriors & Hub warriors that would totally disagree.

His wife might be 1.50m tall... that would explain why she is unhappy with a 29er...

29er's are marginal for shorter riders.... not going to work for everyone - unfortunately....