patches

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep, that will work :w00t:

How does she ride ?

Well... on friday after work I went down to the scout all jump line to attempt the "1st time jump challenge"

A challenge which one of the scout hall regulars set when he took a new bike, and rode it there (on the jump line) for it's first ride. Unfortunately for him the unfamiliarity of the new bike resulted in hospital bill and months off the bike. But he set the bar!

So when one gets a new bike the challenge is to just it there, before getting used to it.

I successfuly completed the challenge with the Jekyll. And the fact that I am typing this with 2 hands and was able to ride the bike on Saturday morning, means my Friday 1st time jump challenge on the Sukuma was successful too :ph34r: *whew*

Ride wise though... it is rather different from the Jekyll. Lighter (by quite a bit. I work on feel, not in kg. But will post a kg figure at some stag). Wheelbase feels longer. Gonna take some time to get used to manual and bunnyhop balance points). Suspension feels plush, but I may not have it set right yet. BB is higher, so no clipping the pedals so far.

But yeah, hard to say what I prefer because the feel really is that different. After a few more rides I should start to feel at home.

Well... on friday after work I went down to the scout all jump line to attempt the "1st time jump challenge"

A challenge which one of the scout hall regulars set when he took a new bike, and rode it there (on the jump line) for it's first ride. Unfortunately for him the unfamiliarity of the new bike resulted in hospital bill and months off the bike. But he set the bar!

So when one gets a new bike the challenge is to just it there, before getting used to it.

I successfuly completed the challenge with the Jekyll. And the fact that I am typing this with 2 hands and was able to ride the bike on Saturday morning, means my Friday 1st time jump challenge on the Sukuma was successful too :ph34r: *whew*

Ride wise though... it is rather different from the Jekyll. Lighter (by quite a bit. I work on feel, not in kg. But will post a kg figure at some stag). Wheelbase feels longer. Gonna take some time to get used to manual and bunnyhop balance points). Suspension feels plush, but I may not have it set right yet. BB is higher, so no clipping the pedals so far.

But yeah, hard to say what I prefer because the feel really is that different. After a few more rides I should start to feel at home.

Good to hear you had a safe maiden jump on the Sukuma!

What is the BB height with the 160mm (?) fork?

• 3 weeks later...

How's it going? Been a few weeks and ready for a plastidip update.

I'm surprised you say the BB is higher, is the Jekyll really that low?! The Sukuma is seriously much lower than the Reign, i've started clipping the pedals even with 160mm on the front.

Ha, reading about the jump line initiation I got flashes of my third trip out to space that the sent me off to emergency room / Stay alert, it is that different!

How's it going? Been a few weeks and ready for a plastidip update.

I'm surprised you say the BB is higher, is the Jekyll really that low?! The Sukuma is seriously much lower than the Reign, i've started clipping the pedals even with 160mm on the front.

Ha, reading about the jump line initiation I got flashes of my third trip out to space that the sent me off to emergency room / Stay alert, it is that different!

Ok, so on the plastidip front, the plastidip itself is holding out rather well. It has a few nicks in it here and there from transporting and cable rub. Paint would probably hold up a bit better in that regard, but would still show signs of cosmetic damage.

The Glossifier (plastidip's clear coat)... a complete waste of time and money on this project. It is pealing off like a bad case of sunburn. (It really does look like when one peels sunburn off).

This has left the bike looking a littl scruffy (when one looks closely), but as soon as all the clear coat has peeled off, it should look good again.

On the ride experience front...

LOVING IT!

BB is definitely feels that bit higher than the Jekyll. I think it may be more to do with the suspension design than the actual geometry.

The bike feels very eager to get airborn. Pops off lips easier than pronouncing numbers like 8200.

But in general... really enjoying it. I think the Lyrik is also an improvement on the Talas 36 I was running.

Try NEW Head and Shoulders and say goodbye to dandruff forever :thumbup:

..I know what you mean, I just wished I rode mine more! At least I can see it from where I sit :wub:

• 2 weeks later...

post-10758-1394021595,9399.jpg

post-10758-1394021266,7963.jpg

So this past weekend a whole bicycle gang load of Spruit Rats descended upon the sleepy hole that is PMB. It was time for my first ever enduro event.

Whilst there the designer of my Sukuma (none other than Patrick Morewood) laid eyes upon the custom paint job. He complimented me on the colour and design, and was quite intrigued by the concept of using plastidip for paint job mock-ups.

So yeah, nice to know that even Mr Morewood thought the bike looks awesome.

As for the plastidip though, sadly is it's showing some serious signs of wear. But plans are being made for a more permanent solution.

All those bikes on the back of yer Truck looks wicked! Way to go!

:thumbup:

That there be KathF's truck...

...and all those bikes are for just 3 people to use for one day of riding :blush: :ph34r:

Admittedly KathF and I never used our DH bikes that day. We were pretty bushed after the enduro... But that didn't stop Super_mil from gearing up and having a few runs of the DH course.

Edited by patches

Well at least you made sure that you can fit 6 bikes on that bike pad. Pretty impressive......and it's always wise to prepare for everything. Having more than one bike is a bonus!!!!!

I am still looking forward to my first enduro, but being in Bloem complicate things a bit. So I will try to ride the Festival of Dirt enduro in April........sorry off topic. :ph34r:

Did I mention that your Sukuma looks fetchin?

• 1 month later...