Cycle Lanes in Brazil - Taking matters into their own hands.

Caerus

Was sent this this morning, excuse the translation as it was all in Portugese and had too Google translate

Cyclists Curitiba decided to take a "forcinha" to the City and make bike lane that cost to be implemented! Were prosecuted for vandalism, but won the action!

The urban intervention promoted by members of Bicicletada Curitiba aimed to draw the attention of government. According to cicloativistas who participated in the action, the act did just what the City itself should have done on their own initiative to enforce the Brazilian Traffic Code.

post-13006-0-29763500-1389862928_thumb.jpg

Tried to cycle along the bike lane in Adderly street / Cpt, avoiding pedestrians (don't mind them), flower stalls (I do mind) and delivery vans (I do mind). At a stop, a flower trader told me, after I chatted to him about the purpose of the bike lane, "this is not America!" and "Mandela is now dead, you go back to America to your American friends and ideas".

Anyhow.. (and I am German, and look very German).

Tried to cycle along the bike lane in Adderly street / Cpt, avoiding pedestrians (don't mind them), flower stalls (I do mind) and delivery vans (I do mind). At a stop, a flower trader told me, after I chatted to him about the purpose of the bike lane, "this is not America!" and "Mandela is now dead, you go back to America to your American friends and ideas".

**** klap would have sorted him out, cheeky bugger, you should have told him to go back into Africa where he came from, the Hottentots want there land back.

Ha ha ha. While I can understand the need for a bicycle lane, I find it an utter waste of money. I witness one person using it, then 3 or 4 riding in the road!!! It is much like the pavements, it is there for the safety of pedestrians however majority walk in the road and why??? This logic I cannot understand but yet majority do it

I was down in CT over Christmas and stayed in Table Bay. Found the use of the cycle lanes excellent to get from Table Bay into the CBD and then work my way through sea point and around the coast to Hout bay and chappies! Hardly saw cyclists on the road lanes if there was a cycle lane

New function for Critical Mass. 400 cyclists line a street 1.0m apart each armed with a stencil and paint. Blow a whistle they all lay down their stencil and paint, paint, paint. Blow the whistle and they all pick up their stencils and paint, climb on their bikes and ride off to the next section of road.

You could do a few km's in an hour long before the metro arrived. :thumbup:

I have noticed that SAPS and the Metro clowns like to have their lunch/morning tea/afternoon tea breaks in the Adderley bike lane.

Ha ha ha. While I can understand the need for a bicycle lane, I find it an utter waste of money. I witness one person using it, then 3 or 4 riding in the road!!! It is much like the pavements, it is there for the safety of pedestrians however majority walk in the road and why??? This logic I cannot understand but yet majority do it

The dream that we can be like the Netherlands. See https://www.youtube....sO117gFDM7UePg

(Unfortunately this is maybe a dream.)

Pedestrians typically walk on the road for one reason, the pavement is not suited for walking. Be it obstructions, uneven surface, steep sideways gradient. Similarly cyclist will not use bike lanes/paths if they are not suitable for cycling in, e.g. obstructions, in door zone, bad intersection designs.

So in a way I agree, if it is not done correctly, it wont get used, and will be a waste of money. But if done correctly...

Edited by GaryvdM

Ag, that Adderley Street section is a waste. Motorbikes parked in it, pedestrians who don't look, flower-sellers *** (I got woes and picked up a whole pile of umbrellas and threw them about three metres - amper a groot opskop), fruit vendors, milk cartons, blah-blah-blah. then you get into the road, and it's as bad with double-parkers. Maybe the whole street should be a pedestrian mall?

Ag, that Adderley Street section is a waste. Motorbikes parked in it, pedestrians who don't look, flower-sellers *** (I got woes and picked up a whole pile of umbrellas and threw them about three metres - amper a groot opskop), fruit vendors, milk cartons, blah-blah-blah. then you get into the road, and it's as bad with double-parkers. Maybe the whole street should be a pedestrian mall?

Now you're starting to speak my language! :thumbup:

Can we do it or will we be locked up

Theres no cops at night ( has anybody noticed?) so you wont get caught. I have heard of people getting locked up for fixing potholes, so yes you will be locked up. Its ok to drink and drive and urinate in public though, throwing beer bottles out of the window while driving is also acceptable.