The Hub SA - What has it become, and where is it going?

Caerus

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Racial Slur Database definition: http://www.rsdb.org/slur/umlungu

I an not letting up l. Am at the point now where I expect a public apology from the website owner

Some random website def ... hardly definitive.

The use of the word is used light-heartedly and common place where I come from, we call each other by that name, and often even use it to order a Latte from Vida.

And besides, I apologised if you were offended by it, a few pages back so do us all a favour and take a chill pill.

Edited by kosmonooit

Morning chaps, been a long night I see.

Trust you all slept well.

While I was brushing my toofs this morning, I got to wondering how I can simplify the question.

@Agteros, why do you find the word a racial slur ? Don't quote others, but please try and explain it in your own words.

whats been going on I've been off the hub for a while I haven't been for a ride for nearly 3 weeks owing to week 1 I just couldn't get going week 2 my wife and I had a baby and now I've gone decommissioned the baby factory.... so coming to the hub makes me feel guilty as for when I go in the garage and my bike see's me ...... well lets not go there but a few more days and I'lll be back in the saddle. so what happened please tell ...............

Congratulations

I am fine with dropping the term Caucasian. I am not fine with keeping any of the other slur words, especially those relevant in the South Afrivan context.

Well I am not. The thoughts stemming for this racial classification led to the notion of a 'pure' race, which led to the pseudo science of Eugenics, and well, that led to the grand master plan and ultimately the death in the gas chambers for millions.

Besides, as we know from modern genetics, we are all a hotch-potch breed, especially those who came here from Europe, even got some Neanderthal in our genes.

Morning chaps, been a long night I see.

Trust you all slept well.

While I was brushing my toofs this morning, I got to wondering how I can simplify the question.

@Agteros, why do you find the word a racial slur ? Don't quote others, but please try and explain it in your own words.

It has never been use towards me or people around me in a positive, empowering way. ALWAYS used in a context such as to hurt, deride, reject or belittle. Growing up in rural Zululand (DEEP rural) I was exposed to all walks of life, and all manners of being addressed. The meaning, intent, use of of the word has been pretty much as per explanation that the mods hidden on page 2 or 3 of this thread.

The word uml*ngu I place in exactly the same category as nigg*r, kaff*r, ch*nk, etc. These are all racial slurs, and they are all hurtful to a category of society, and hence they have no place in our society, or the public spaces around our society...

Anyway, according to the law of the land (wiki page relating to hate speech - )

South Africa[edit]

In
, hate speech (along with incitement to violence and propaganda for war) is specifically excluded from protection of free speech in the
. The
contains the following clause:

[N]o person may publish, propagate, advocate or communicate words based on one or more of the prohibited grounds, against any person, that could reasonably be construed to demonstrate a clear intention to―

• be hurtful;

• be harmful or to incite harm;

• promote or propagate hatred.

The "prohibited grounds" include race, gender, sex, pregnancy, marital status, ethnic or social origin, colour, sexual orientation, age, disability, religion, conscience, belief, culture, language and birth.

The crime of
("unlawfully, intentionally and seriously impairing the dignity of another")
may also be used to prosecute hate speech.

In 2011, a South African court banned "Dubulu iBhunu (Shoot the Boer)," a derogatory song degrading Afrikaners, on the basis that it violated a South African law prohibiting speech that demonstrates a clear intention to be hurtful, to incite harm, or to promote hatred.

In any case, the lack of action by owners of www.thehubsa.co.za (Information freely available via co.za registrar and PAIA manual) and their employee (moderators) is disconcerting at the least, or could possibly be taken as approving of racial slurs towards a specific group. - hate speech. This will again open a whole can of worms in light of the above.

I implore the owners and employees of this website to clean it of racial slur, and add all racial slur words (long list available on ww.rsdb.org) to the filter of unwanted words.

Well I am not. The thoughts stemming for this racial classification led to the notion of a 'pure' race, which led to the pseudo science of Eugenics, and well, that led to the grand master plan and ultimately the death in the gas chambers for millions.

Besides, as we know from modern genetics, we are all a hotch-potch breed, especially those who came here from Europe, even got some Neanderthal in our genes.

I am fine with dropping the term Caucasian. In other words - not using it.

so you quoted another website again.

thank you for raising your position on the word as you perceive it.

Did we really just lose the Holy Roller avatar? Nothing is more part of thehub than that.

Well said

It survived all sorts of arguments over the years, that is until Friday just passed and now it's being used in a tit for tat war.

I see plenty nit picking and attacks on mods here. As far as i'm aware no single mod can just delete a post, it has to be done in consultation.

I don't always agree with mods but if you don't like it, well there's the door.

And here's a Bell's for you sir

You must have played rugby instead of soccer

Well said

It survived all sorts of arguments over the years, that is until Friday just passed and now it's being used in a tit for tat war.

Ag, leave it, it's too petty to worry about.

...................Sadly, despite your work as moderator, you are steadily portraying yourself as a bigot! :thumbdown:

This is by far the most offensive word I've seen in this thread. It is not just a general derogatory term for a group, but a very strong negative personal reflection on an individual. It is always negative, no matter in what context it is used. In South Africa a label like this can be extremely damaging to an individual. I would take serious offense if it was directed at me and would insist on it being removed with an apology attached.

(So much for wise people not getting involved in a messy fight. :blush: )

forums these days are full of keyboard warriors and people with overbiased opinions who like to ridicule rather than assist.

so you quoted another website again.

thank you for raising your position on the word as you perceive it.

I gave my interpretation and experience. Also showed reasons as to why I am not off the field with my experience as per hate speech definitions in the laws of the land.