Eating after a long race

So after completing yesterday's Tour de PPA, I noticed that when I'm done I'm extremely hungry and when I get home I tend to indulge in not so healthy foods. During the week I'll eat healthy foods leading up to the race but when I'm done with the race I just can't help myself.

So what I'm looking for is some assistance on what I actually should eat after a long race?

Thanks

I use a lean protein shake mixed with milk after longer rides, the other recovery drinks just doesn't taste as good to me...

If you're hungry afterwards eat. By consuming large quantities of carbohydrates after depleting glycogen stores as a result of exercise or diet, the body can increase storage capacity of intramuscular glycogen stores. In general, glycemic index of carbohydrate source doesn't matter since muscular insulin sensitivity is increased as a result of temporary glycogen depletion.

Not sure what you mean by healthy and not so healthy foods.

eat more while riding

I normally have those 32GI chews and I also have the tablets which I consume during the race. Before the race, I eat the 32GI foodbar. I've tried taking bars with me during the race but I just cannot eat it while I cycle.

If you're trying to lose weight, have some lean protein - whey or whatever you like - and minimal carbs / something low GI / low carb veggies, drink some fizzy water, then go to sleep.

I normally have those 32GI chews and I also have the tablets which I consume during the race. Before the race, I eat the 32GI foodbar. I've tried taking bars with me during the race but I just cannot eat it while I cycle.

If the race is < 6 hours then liquid is best

I cant chow just after a race. Need a few hours to chill first.

I probably eat about 2 hours after I finish the race which explains my cravings. Normally when I'm done, I've gotta wait for my buddies at the finish and by the time I get home, shower and do whatever else I do, 2 hours have passed. So I don't necessarily eat immediately after the race.

Not sure what you mean by healthy and not so healthy foods.

Not so healthy foods like a burger or a boerewors roll or something along those lines. I tend to crave these sort of foods after a race.

FOOD, FOOD REAL FOOD NOT RACE SNAKE FOOD

If you're trying to lose weight, have some lean protein - whey or whatever you like - and minimal carbs / something low GI / low carb veggies, drink some fizzy water, then go to sleep.

Yes, I am trying to lose weight. Sorry, should've mentioned that in my first post. Thanks for the advice. I'll look into something along these lines.

Not so healthy foods like a burger or a boerewors roll or something along those lines. I tend to crave these sort of foods after a race.

If you're going to have burger/boerie roll then after the race is the best time to have it without feeling guilty. Within 30 mins if possible.