Demise of XCO in SA

NicoBoshoff

Don't know about you (actually, I know you share my sentiment but you know what I mean) but I ascribe "fun" to blasting down a technical section barely holding on far more than miles and miles of jeep track boredom.

You an Enduro candidate :)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Amongst the folk I have ridden with, they want the tar road experience, except it must not be on tar. They want beauty, without technical because they want to get fit and achieve something. This seems to be the largest market, simply because that is the way things are focused. Schools level seems to be a good place to start the XCO, but even then, surely the numbers will be limited. More folk will always ride the more marathon type rides?

IMO the school guys would want to get more technical and go for the rush of getting better on rock gardens, jumps and so on. So I reckon the focus will shift over time to one more focused on xco type events. Makes sense as well - less organizational fuss (land access etc) and faster racing. Fields of 200 plus would be fine, as long as there are suitable places for passing (like there are on xco events) and the support increases.

You an Enduro candidate :)

Lol. You trying to tell me what I already know? ;)

I tell you, there's no better feeling than clearing a jump for the first time, or doing a drop that scared you shirtless just the day before. The endorphins are mad.

Believe me, I rejoice when I have a PR (STRAVA) up the main drag or on the way up to the mast, but that's for main fitness which means I can go harder and faster on the way down without feeling like a loslappie at the bottom (well, I still do but I get there faster)

Wait. What?

I feel like I'm in the twilight zone.

Somehow I seem to recall a comment about S-Works bikes being amazing, technically capable bikes. I must have had my glasses fogged up at the time...

Whats up china, theyre good everywhere...

I reckon it has a lot to do with many riders riding for the fun of it only and not taking part in it as a competitive sport that it is. The masses do not have technical skills, started riding at too late a stage in life and are not fit and strong enough to take the hurt that XCO dishes out. Due to most guys starting riding too late, the technical nature of the courses probably intimidates them, therefore the hesiance to take on the challenge with the limited skillset.

I started out with XCO, but I have to admit that longer races suit me better, as I take a while to get going from the gun.

On a good day though there is nothing quite like riding past the same crowd a couple of times and getting cheered time and again!

I reckon most marathon events cater for recreational riders, looking for a journey out there and back.Yes "A" batch is competitive but for most finishing in one piece is a win.

XCO is a different type of racing / riding, really for racing snakes, and not that much fun for your average mtb rider. Good to watch though (in terms of the UCI events) but will never be big.

Marathons do cater for recreational riders but it should not only cater for them, i like hard long distance riding, just bloody awesome

SNIP

I ascribe "fun" to blasting down a technical section barely holding on far more than miles and miles of jeep track boredom.

XCO is simply to hard (flat out racing, not just technicaly hard) for the average mountain biker who like the Captain just wants to have fun while getting his andrenaline rush.

Steep / difficult / technical hill climbs followed by even steeper technical descents that can potentially shorten your waking time on this planet which all have to be repeated a number of times in the space of 2 hours (Laps) while being ridden at race effort pace. That sums up a XCO race.

For some reason there are a limited amount of folks who enjoy this type of event

Don't know about you (actually, I know you share my sentiment but you know what I mean) but I ascribe "fun" to blasting down a technical section barely holding on far more than miles and miles of jeep track boredom.

Sure but we have also been around the block a couple of times...excuse the pun. Guys wanting to join or start have very limited budget normally and they are also not ready to drop big cash if they are not sure they will even like it. So of they go to a bike shop and asks for something that they can have fun on with their mates and do the odd road race once a year....it's no surprise then that they end up with an all do 29er. For them fun is just being part of it. Some of their mates then convince them to do a trail seeker event 40km or two and again the dicipline actually doesn't matter, they could buggering around on unicycles, the outdoors, the laughs and event is what they want...and to be honest I am with them, no need for 5 day a week interval sessions or tech skills to be part of it....just pitch and have fun with mates.

Yeah Swiss, but the question begs - if it's too hard (bith physically and technically) why not try it out and get better at it by at least trying it out and assessing your weak spots, then concentrating on them to improve?

Lol. Damn. Can't build it up again THAT quickly. Plus I'm on baby duty. Maybe I'll come spectate. Where is it?

At the slammer track at the willowbridge shopping centre, bring the baby!

Edited by Gerhard Odendaal

Don't get me wrong, I prefer a fountains which is an xco venue over a northern farms or Irene trail seeker race....but if it means I am riding alone rather give me district roads...there is a social aspect as well