Magalies Monster 2014

Dirt De Vil

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I take that as a compliment . Now if only the high-school girls would stop calling me oom !

I know what you mean ^_^

Can somebody start a spread sheet with estimated finish times?” Put your money where your Mouth is”. I’ll give first price for their closest to estimated time. Price will be a 750ml Soweto Pepsi how’s that

Did a 4:45 last year hope to better it this year ?????

It could be the same or slightly longer.Checked on stillwater events website for route map with a couple of changes around sparkling waters adding an extra section and going accross to sugarbush Hill.I think thats where they get the 80Km from.Rest pretty much the same.Hope to do it in 5Hours.I love my Buffelspoort valley.Good luck all.

So I see this event is self seeding. What would you base this on?

I fear many will start with the fast guys to try and avoid the congestion on the 2 big climbs. May work but not if all do it.

Never rode the Monster before so am hoping to come in under 5 hours.

I fear many will start with the fast guys to try and avoid the congestion on the 2 big climbs. May work but not if all do it.

Plenty of time to sort that stuff out before you will get to a bottle neck !!!

Not going to happen...there is a "bultjie" or two before the two climbs and if they can hang with the top guns, they are supposed to be there.

So the email I got yesterday said three groups- speedy, medium pace and easy does it.

I usually start in batch B (MTN marathon series) so would a speedy group be appropriate?

So the email I got yesterday said three groups- speedy, medium pace and easy does it.

I usually start in batch B (MTN marathon series) so would a speedy group be appropriate?

I normally start in A , will be joining Easy does it group .

Promise you it doesnt matter...the eager ones that dont have the legs and burning matches in the first 10km will pay dearly....and I mean DEARLY.I will probably hang around middle to back for the first 20km.

oh and if you get to the first portage section after the first loose rocky climb and you are feeling fresh, you are golden. If you are dying there already...you might want to start chucking grenades....That portage is normally a good indicator for me...either I am riding into mordor or gonna style it

Edited by rouxtjie

I'm a roadie and very proud of it but lately bought a MTB and went for a spin or two in the veld... like it!

My company has a few MTB enthusiasts of whom 4 did the Sani... and i've been asked to do the 45km Magalies ride.

Question is thus:

I'm a VA road rider, but this will be my first MTB race... open category i guess (automatic seeding which will put me in the very last group as i don't have a MTB seeding, or do i pick the group as i've seen some people mention here?) If the latter, where would you suggest i plug myself into?

I'm a roadie and very proud of it but lately bought a MTB and went for a spin or two in the veld... like it!

My company has a few MTB enthusiasts of whom 4 did the Sani... and i've been asked to do the 45km Magalies ride.

Question is thus:

I'm a VA road rider, but this will be my first MTB race... open category i guess (automatic seeding which will put me in the very last group as i don't have a MTB seeding, or do i pick the group as i've seen some people mention here?) If the latter, where would you suggest i plug myself into?

1) first mtb race

2) Monster

=

Seeding at the back.

Don't mess with this race.

1) first mtb race

2) Monster

=

Seeding at the back.

Don't mess with this race.

Only half the monster... i don't intent going the full monty on my first mtb race, so 45km will do just fine

Only half the monster... i don't intent going the full monty on my first mtb race, so 45km will do just fine

Seeding is not about how good your fitness is but about how good both your technical skills are as well as your fitness. Don't be the guy that holds everyone else up when you get to something you can't do. This is not a "ride in the veld". Even the 45km has fairly technical riding for a new mtb'er. If you cope fine then move forward next time.

Judging by my fitness level I'm going to *** bricks so I reckon 6 hrs for me on my rigid ss.