Magalies Monster 2014

Dirt De Vil

I am glad I did it and finished in 7.22 min,but as I rode the last 20 km at my own pace I realized that in a race you need to be able to ride at your own pace and not keep stopping,as trying to find a rhythm and a comfortable pace is important.

So much this. The biggest take away for me as well, sapped my strength and will having to stop and slow down constantly.

• Replies 766
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Say whaaaaaaaat. Nee koot....there was enough sand to redo ballito beach twice over.

I must say, the variety of terrain was exceptional....there were

Rocky downs

Rocky ups

Singletrack

Concrete

Mowed grass

Mowed sand

Mowed rocks

Bloodied rocks

District ups

District downs

District flats

Also, small rocks, big rocks, hard rocks, soft rocks, rolling rocks, I flicked a rock into my frame so hard that I had to stop and check that I hadn't snapped it in half, sounded like a gunshot.

Also, small rocks, big rocks, hard rocks, soft rocks, rolling rocks, I flicked a rock into my frame so hard that I had to stop and check that I hadn't snapped it in half, sounded like a gunshot.

whahahha I am feeling you....

How awesome was that last bit of single track in the forest!!? Such a cool race! Like Gen said earlier the participants all the help, banter and poef praat at the water points. Man. It was awesome!

Well done to every one who finished and those who tried. :thumbup:

My first monster and I cramped from walking in places up the "climb of the day". Then when you get to that water point you realise its not half way. Managed 6h40 with cramping.

My hardtail survived with a loose bottle cage, speedo magnet came loose and I sort of have rear brakes. I did help a guy after he had tumbled after the radio tower, straightened his shades and he looked good to go.

Next year again fellas? :devil:

I must have gone past 50 water bottles on the side of the track. Mostly on the fast rocky downhills. I bought a camel back insulated BOTTLE not backpack and that saved my life. After leaving home there were still ice in the bottle at the start. Also it ensured that my water stayed cold from water point to water point as I also took some ice from the buckets. The squirt nipple is the best. No huffing and puffing from breathlessness after taking sips on bottles where you need to suck like a piglet just for a mouth full.

Alex if you are breathless after sucking on a nipple :whistling: you must be doing it wrong. Maybe that's why we saw signs on the route that said ...... BREATHE

So it seems Monster doesn't count to our Saseeding index?

I see Rooiberg is up there already....so that would be a tad disappointing

So it seems Monster doesn't count to our Saseeding index?

I see Rooiberg is up there already....so that would be a tad disappointing

Sure it will but will take a couple of days to show.

Did the 45 and enjoyed it very much. Well done to all involved. I must say that events by Stillwater are my favorite. Me lots of great people, saw beautiful spaces!

+ 1 on the seeding and batched starts. Yes, I know it is more work/costs but I don't think you can grow the event if you don't do it. And if SASeeding costs to much (or is to much trouble), sommer use the results from last year. If you haven't done the event, you start later.

Yes its nice to go past lots of people, but you will never get to ride the climbs since there will be somebody pushing in front of you to throw of your balance and momentum. Yes, I know you may be walking almost as fast as I am riding, but I love the feeling of knowing I rode the whole route, I conquered it!

For me its not about time or final position, its about showing the mountain whos boss.

http://www.jetlineac...acecalendar.php

these guys do the Pics every year, probably be up in a day or 2. just pop your number in, and all your photos come up!!!

Yup thanks pics are up at R63.60 for the download of one picture one has to choose wisely. Thank god I did not have to stand in the velt for 8 hours or so. Nice job guys but I'd like a sliding scale on quantity of items bought.

Ha ha ha.. just listening to hubby say how next yr he won't underestimate it.. see what happens when you don't listen.. I told him you all said it's tough. And I told him don't go too fast too soon.. but ja nee hy wou mos..

Good thing though I expect plenty plenty weekend getaways to go practice climbing in prep for next yrs monster. . This is good.

I said this before.. but what I did do before the crash I really enjoyed. ... even the climbing. Yes it was tough and challenging but I enjoyed it. Every time I got to a section that was mentioned on here before the event I went.. aaah this is that part..

I loved the scenery and the people are great.. so many people encouraging each other.. and so many people just having a random chat with me.. there is nothing better than that. By far the nicest time I've had during a race.. okay I don't do many.. but still.

Edited by Gen

Does anyone know how the dude, who rearranged his facial features on the concrete road, is doing?

Does anyone know how the dude, who rearranged his facial features on the concrete road, is doing?

If it's the guy with the broken nose.. I had a brief chat to him when he was leaving the ER while I was waiting to he stitched up.. he looked a bit battered but said he was okay.

If it's the guy with the broken nose.. I had a brief chat to him when he was leaving the ER while I was waiting to he stitched up.. he looked a bit battered but said he was okay.

No, won't be the same guy. The dude I'm talking about needed major reconstruction to his nose and lips.

How are your injuries?