The Non Helpers Club.

Vetseun

Well if you were riding the ottosdal race yesterday and had your issues with your tire. I wouldn't been able to help you either, cause both hubby and I gave our spare tubes to people that looked very despondent the route.. shees I have never seen so many people with flats as I did yesterday.

Ek het ook in Ottosdal gery en dieselfde as julle beleef. Dit moet seker weens al die klippe en dorings? Ek het ook twee papwiel-gevalle gehelp...ek was tog nie oppad om te wen nie ^_^.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So I go for a ride this morning. MTB. Seven km into my ride, I puncture rear wheel..

I dont have a pump with me only a bomb.

Bomb the wheel only to discover that it is a cut in the sidewall.

Uncle Stan is trying his best to seal the cut but he is losing the battle.

I jump on the bike and start time trialing towards home.

About 3 km out of town, I cant ride anymore, too flat.

I try to call the woman who calls herself my wife, she is still sleeping, her phone is off. Know other okes are at a race, so I start pushing the bike.

To the three guys on their roadbikes that passed within a meter of me in Andries Pretorius street Bloemfontein this morning. You are not cyclists, you are wannabe's. You passed me pushing my bike, you didnt ask if you could help, you didnt even say hello!

There is an unwritten law in cycling, if you see another cyclist in trouble, you ask if you can help.

Oh and tell your fat buddy who was hanging on the back of your paceline that his saddle is too low, it looks ridiculous.

A nice guy in a bakkie stopped and gave me a ride home. Dankie Andre, jy is n piele ou. I had the tyre replaced and still got a ride in.

Simple mense. Glad you got help! I always ride with a couple of plugs to seal sidewall cuts if I ride alone. It's mos Argus season, probably a couple of nobodys

Been burnt too many times to help anymore....chainlinks, tubes, plugs, boots

It just simply cost to much to be the good guy....so I am in the non-helpers club

+1, I sometimes wonder how the hell people can go and ride a 75km race without any spares? I understand the occasional newby getting a flat and don't know what to do. But I will always stop and ask if the guy/girl needs help Edited by Wil6

+1, I sometimes wonder how the hell people can go and ride a 75km race without any spares? I understand the occasional newby getting a flat and don't know what to do. But I will always stop and ask for help

Ja, look...its not about the stopping at all....if helping someone out cost me nothing I would be the first to pull over...especially if its a hot girl :ph34r: But alas....all the times I have stopped it has cost me at least 50 bucks

Worst case

1 x Parktool tyre boot = R60

1 x Tjoob = R50

1 x Bomb = R15

Grand Total = R125.00

Sometimes

Just a plug = R5

Bomb = R15

Sometimes

chainlink = R60

I have bought plent plenty tjoobs and link but have always only used it once...all the others went to people that were very gratefull, but couldn't be bothered to take my number or details to give it back...it most just a tjoob and and bomb afterall...and how much can that little rubber boot cost anyway is the general attitude.

I don't mind helping people, but what irritates me is when certain riders (mostly weight weenies) go out on a trail/race with the intention to bum certain parts from other riders should they run into trouble.

I don't mind helping people, but what irritates me is when certain riders (mostly weight weenies) go out on a trail/race with the intention to bum certain parts from other riders should they run into trouble.

Yea, they get a smile and wave from me....

Ja, look...its not about the stopping at all....if helping someone out cost me nothing I would be the first to pull over...especially if its a hot girl :ph34r: But alas....all the times I have stopped it has cost me at least 50 bucks

Worst case

1 x Parktool tyre boot = R60

1 x Tjoob = R50

1 x Bomb = R15

Grand Total = R125.00

Sometimes

Just a plug = R5

Bomb = R15

Sometimes

chainlink = R60

I have bought plent plenty tjoobs and link but have always only used it once...all the others went to people that were very gratefull, but couldn't be bothered to take my number or details to give it back...it most just a tjoob and and bomb afterall...and how much can that little rubber boot cost anyway is the general attitude.

I will never give up my spare tube again for a guy riding unprepared in a race. Like you said from now on I will always help if it does not cost me anything. It puts my own race at risk if I needed a tjoop or link etc. Last time I did give up my tube and the only bomb I had left, and the guy could not even wait for me after the race to say thank you or offer to replace it.

I will never give up my spare tube again for a guy riding unprepared in a race. Like you said from now on I will always help if it does not cost me anything. It puts my own race at risk if I needed a tjoop or link etc. Last time I did give up my tube and the only bomb I had left, and the guy could not even wait for me after the race to say thank you or offer to replace it.

Yea, exactly what I mean by "burnt"....they are ok now, so screw you is the attitude. In races I could be less bothered...its a race afterall and carrying the right spares and knowing how to fix your bike / wheel / chain is just as important as fitness level. I don't even ask...just zoom by.

Edited by rouxtjie

It just simply cost to much to be the good guy....so I am in the non-helpers club

SIES ROUXTJIE I WOULD NEVER HAVE PUT YOU IN THAT LIST

At least you are always always helpful with bike questions.

SIES ROUXTJIE I WOULD NEVER HAVE PUT YOU IN THAT LIST

Ja Dips, I am unfortunately....as with most things there are exceptions like an aunty stuck in a dodgy area...will stop and help fo sure...or people I know personally / had a beer with...but that is about it. The rest gets a "jammer om van jou kuk te hoor" eye.

If people did the right thing and took down details and gave back spares or made an effort it would have been a different story, but they don't.

True story...the straw that broke the camel's back was a springbok rugby player that needed help at a vg race....he made me change my attitude wrt helping people....I won't

did you ask for help?

He tried to but could not get them to say good morning

Vetseun, I liked the free bike set-up advice you tossed in there for good measure. Glad to hear you salvaged a ride in the end. Lekker week.

Ek het ook in Ottosdal gery en dieselfde as julle beleef. Dit moet seker weens al die klippe en dorings? Ek het ook twee papwiel-gevalle gehelp...ek was tog nie oppad om te wen nie ^_^.

Dink daar is baie ouens wat net daai ou mtb afstof en die wedren gaan ondersteun. Ook erg baie mense wat nie tubeless ry nie.

Ons het gehelp waar ons kon. Ek het inelkgeval so sleg op die fiets gevoel dat n paar minute hier en daar nou regtig nie my kon benadeel nie.

Guest Latent Blue

To the three guys on their roadbikes that passed within a meter of me in Andries Pretorius street Bloemfontein this morning. You are not cyclists, you are wannabe's. You passed me pushing my bike, you didnt ask if you could help, you didnt even say hello!

You didnt great them earlier?

Seriously, Im glad you got home ok. You could have been flippen robbed or something! Some people just doesnt give a *** about other people!