Mojoman

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Snailflo

I use table salt to prevent snails and slugs getting to my veggies. I sprinkle a thick layer around the border of the garden. Try to avoid sprinkling too much salt in the soil and/or over the plants.

Finalized the geenhouse planters and finished up the sprinklers.

post-29544-0-29784800-1536740240_thumb.jpeg

Looking for suggestion for the last planter box that has nothing planned for it yet. The others have herbs that we use, some leafy salad, carrots, beetroot, jalapenos and tabasco peppers and radishes in.

Have tomatoes, red onions, beans, butternut, cucumber, lettuce (think it's Cos variety, not sure) as well as spinach and peas in the outside garden.

So we moved and I don’t have a balcony anymore. Suppose my plants would vrek because of the heat anyway. So I got myself this. Going to grow Chocolate Carolina reapers and Orange Habaneros in there.

461971B3-5CF7-4357-90F5-3AF366D27DFA.jpeg

What lamp are you running in that tent? I've got a tent that I'm running 800w full spectrum LED. Pretty happy with it so far.

Nice thread.

1) I still need to convert an old Jacuzzi, which I already moved outside into a flower bed and would like to have some advice on the following:) 

- Do I drill a few holes in the bottom part to ensure sufficient drainage?

- What soil must I put in as it's 80 cm deep at the deepest point (where one normally puts their feet). Top soil / compost at the top but the bottom part?!

- What veggies are ideal given the 1.5 x 1.5 m size and I want to get my kids involved (3 and 5)

- It's currently in a sunny spot - is that ideal?

- How do I minimize bug infestation? Or only worry about it once present?

- What did I forget :)

Luckily I can tap off one of my irrigation zones / pipe and put 3-4 small sprinklers into the top soil for winter.

2) Now on a different topic (see pictures). Any idea what fungus this is and what I can do to prevent spread - killing my aloes?

3) I want to build a tree house for the kids and have recently been given 10-20 long (3m) gum poles by my neighbour which I'd like to use for the base - any advice how to secure it to the tree without damaging the tree too much? I assume some support poles must / can be put into the ground at the corners and not use the tree fully to support the house.

Thanks!!

post-2515-0-11807300-1536746123_thumb.jpg

post-2515-0-94524000-1536746128_thumb.jpg

- What veggies are ideal given the 1.5 x 1.5 m size and I want to get my kids involved (3 and 5)

Kids love stuff they can eat 'immediately' - ie snap peas, carrots and beans are great.

Best advice I've ever been given regarding veggie gardening is to ONLY plant what you (and your family) eat. No help in planting Habaneros if no-one in your house eats hot stuff.

Kids love stuff they can eat 'immediately' - ie snap peas, carrots and beans are great.

Best advice I've ever been given regarding veggie gardening is to ONLY plant what you (and your family) eat. No help in planting Habaneros if no-one in your house eats hot stuff.

Correction, plant this Habaneros and send them my way :P

What lamp are you running in that tent? I've got a tent that I'm running 800w full spectrum LED. Pretty happy with it so far.

I’m using 600w Metal halide globes. Those led lights are super nice but way too pricey for me.

I’m using 600w Metal halide globes. Those led lights are super nice but way too pricey for me.

The price offsets the power consumption.