First Tokai MTB AGM

Vince

Who is Kandui?

A very smart guy who has worked very hard on the city side of Table Mountain!

• Replies 753
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it, if a) it's a draft and b) no public meeting has taking place?

AFAIK a lot of things hinge on these things.

If it comes across as me attacking you, please believe me that I'm not.

My day job involves me asking questions as there are procedural, financial and legal ramifications to things which I'm sure you can appreciate.

No Dave, no attack. The tone of your requests has always been reasonable.

I misunderstood your original q re constituted body & membership etc.

Let me clarify.

The draft constitution was supposed to come into play last year, just as Duane and Vince left tokai. That's when it was due to be signed by all the proposed committee members (me deon vince etc) before vince left and no longer was interested in the role or any role in tokai.

Yes you are right in that it needed to be ratified through public meeting and only then would we be a properly constituted body that was able to take on members. My knowledge on this part of the process falls short though as Deon was the one on the coal face liaising with Meurant on the whole issue of the constitution and trying to get it in place as soon as possible.

That's also why I needed to do the research I alluded to.

I think Deon is the best person to answer the question in full though, but I know he is under severe deadline pressure at the moment and probably won't see this for a while... That's why I'm going to bring it to his attention and ask him to comment.

How is it, if a) it's a draft and b) no public meeting has taking place?

AFAIK a lot of things hinge on these things.

If it comes across as me attacking you, please believe me that I'm not.

My day job involves me asking questions as there are procedural, financial and legal ramifications to things which I'm sure you can appreciate.

I have placed it in about 3 different posts throughout the thread. It is probably the most important part of this entire debate. I am adding to it with a detailed breakdown of events.

We (the interested people) had two choices; a public election where the people vote for anyone they wanted on the committee, or we stick to the status quo and all the people I have been working with for ±2 years, accept spots on the committee to be ratified in a public meeting (on the next TMMTB forum meeting agenda possibly).

I received the draft constitution at the end of June and posted it to Vince, Myles and Gary on the 2nd.

Vince replied on the 4th saying he was happy and asked on progress on the 25th.

post-13110-0-41400300-1391780635_thumb.png

At a meeting on the 25th all were still happy. Vince presented his idea for the trails and was pushing for approval. Duane was interested in joining and I subsequently replied to the minutes of the meeting stating that I acknowledged his wishes to be involved and minuted the explanation of the trail rationale.

---------- Forwarded message ----------

Date: Sat, Jul 27, 2013 at 1:13 PM

Subject: Re: Meeting Thursday 25/07/2013

To: Duane Bosch

Cc: Vince Muir , garybarnard, Myles Mayhew

Two things:

1. Myles and Gary, in addition to you and Vince are also to be added to the TokaiMTB constitution. I am inquiring the costs and process of registering a VA.

2. A new interim solution for a "loop" as presented by Vince might not be possible, I expressed this and offered my reasoning that TMNP does not easily approve temp trails. They have specifically requested a broad plan for future trails which I have explained has already been drawn up and includes a singletrack climb from Fairie Garden up to level 5. My next step is to get commitment in writing from TMNP that new trails will in fact be approved following the required public participation and EMP studies. Up to this point, the motivation to continue planning for extra trails and formalising the management group has been based on their verbal request for future world-class trails.

Please note that I was not aware this was to be attended by anyone else other than Vince and myself as indicated in his email and sms. Apologies to Gary and Myles as I did not extend the invite.

In this time I was exploring NPO registrations, choosing between VA or NPC. I consulted Meurant and had in depth discussions about the pros and cons of each. NPC is expensive, VA not.

I had also consulted accountants offered to me by Gary Kruger to take care of all registration and auditing costs.

This brought me through to mid August when I then started looking into setting up a funding group who would assist in managing funds and essentially oversee the budget for each year. This offered security as there was a layer between the committee and the funds and would help in transparency.

I sent the draft constitution to all interested funding group parties, it was discussed and eventually approved.

August 30, Vince and Duane exited Tokai on Facebook "TokaiMTB trail builders assos." They expressed their dissatisfaction at the pace of the dealings in Tokai.

I had to continue despite this setback and asked trusted and respected people to stand in on the committee. I did not have a plan on how to proceed so contacted Gary B to get commitment that we still had a DH rep on board. He asked that I please be patient as family matters would need to take priority.

As I was tasked with setting up the bank account and the NPO, I did as much research I felt was needed to offer me peace of mind that it was indeed the correct procedure. All remaining was the ratification still needed but by this time it was November and a public meeting was not going to be called for the remainder of 2013.

In January 2014 I was asked to attend the I&AP meeting that would take place at the TMMTB's first internal meeting for 2014. Since it was a presentation of the aggrieved group, it was not needed that I provide any comment. I have still not been asked for any detail of the proceedings leading up to the AGM.

As I said in the beginning of the post, and somewhere near the start of this thread, I welcome the AGM, it was always supposed to take place. It would however been a ratification if the intertsted parties applied some understanding and patience. This is by no means "a quick thing."

Ed: sp

Edited by Pain or shine

Could somebody tell me when the Burn is planned for?

What area is it expected to cover? There's a lot of alien growth all over the mountain. The most badly affected is the whole area below level 2.

Who in SANParks has the answer?

There was talk of Feb, then March, then? If it is too close to winter we face similar issues (maybe worse) that we had after the felling of the trees.

This question is still burning (excuse the pun)

WHEN is the burn expected? SANParks knows what the plan is for the year, surely?

Also what is the harvesting and logging plan? Cape Pine can't just rock up and start felling trees.

This question is still burning (excuse the pun)

WHEN is the burn expected? SANParks knows what the plan is for the year, surely?

Also what is the harvesting and logging plan? Cape Pine can't just rock up and start felling trees.

Just requested this info again, Dave... WIll respond as soon as I have more info...

Hey Dave...

Just got this, for what it's worth...

Essentially, Parks (Well, Tokai section, actually) are waiting until they have secured enough Funding to allow for the follow-up hacking and alien control that will follow the burn, Without the budget, they cannot commit to a time. Without the committal, the burn doesn't happen. But it needs to happen. And they are pushing for the budget, given the sensitivity of the area and the value it represents to Parks from a bio-diversity perspective.

As for the logging, well, as I said yesterday - Parks literally had no notice that Cape Pine were going to log the Snakes. The first Sandra heard of it was when the truck rolled past. It's not allowed, true, but that's how it went down and it suits the bio-diversity guys because they want the pine out as early as possible.

So no, we don't really get lead time, even though they should tell Parks first. The ACTUAL cutting list shows an exit by 2024 (I think) but they (Cape Pine) want to get out by 2017 since Tokai is a loss-making exercise ito lumber.

The next to go is APPARENTLY Fairy Garden, in June sometime. That is what is filtering down in little hints and suggestions, but as for a cutting schedule - that is out the window.

Faery garden.....What a shame. Will have to make an effort to ride tk a couple of times soon....even at the ripoff price of R45 :(

There are enough illegal trails to get around this surely?! :ph34r:

As far as Cape Pine goes and then logging at a loss at tokai. I am sure they are gaining far more by taking this project on for sanparks by gaining other contracts with what would I am sure be rather handsome profit margins.

A big company like that does not do nothing for nothing.

Ja true Hairy, but then also they MUST be out by a certain time, contractually and to a point legislatively. So better do it while it's still a recoverable loss and they can get on with it elsewhere. Also the sooner they do it, the better they look from a biodiversity perspective as they seem to be taking the needs of the park to heart ie letting the course of nature take hold and the actual native fauna to take over.

That the aliens then take sprout is parks' baby. That's what they're trying to get the guys up north to approve budget to cover

All good cpt....Just saying they are good samaritans logging the area at their loss for the greater good of the natural environment