Berge en dale - 8th Feb

lone one

Hmm...I don't mind that they didn't have starter packs for this race (at least not at Cycle Labs Fourways, when my girlfriend went to collect), but no pins or cable ties? :cursing:

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like I will have to do a sub 3 on this race to get a sub 20 PPA seeding. Or else wait another week and try again.

Hmm...I don't mind that they didn't have starter packs for this race (at least not at Cycle Labs Fourways, when my girlfriend went to collect), but no pins or cable ties? :cursing:

Nothing like making us drive to the other side of Joburg to collect nothing but a printed number that we could have printed at work.

I will collect, but if only a number is given at 'registration', I am not going to pin it to my back but rather put it in my pocket for the race.

I am going to do the same. It’s time that the organiser knows that they are making it difficult for the people that are paying. It really is BS. There wasn’t even a collect point in PTA.

Plenty of parking at the new mall where the race starts. Enough roads to warm up on as well

good point - starting BL, will be going on a warm up ride before if anyone wants to join in

There were pins available to take at number collection, but they were separate, not included in the envelope.

There were pins available on the table.

I suffer when my legs aren't warmed up, very similar to the Amashova...

Hmmm, Have to spin and warm up nicely before the start...

After the Hillsnax....Hold & Bite...

Looking forward to the race....Hoping the DL group can have some fast times....

The map showed that we get back onto the highway at Beyers? Last year it was the same but we were waived past th eoff ramp to the Muldersdrift road, past Carnivores?

Anyone have any clarity on this year?

I have sent an email to eventsupport@asgworld.co.za about this, and the start and finish locations. Will let you know.

Reply received:

Date: Thu, Feb 6, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Subject: Re: Query regarding Berge en Dale 2014 route

Hi Gary

The event will take Drift Road again and not the N14.

The event starts in the sliproad leading into the Mall from the R28, riders line up and turn left onto the R28 and cross Hendrik Potgieter and go up Hillsnacks.

The finish line is where it's always been on the R28 in front of Bergvallei. From there riders have to proceed to the same sliproad entrance from where they started to get medals and drinks before rolling straight on and back into the car parks.

GPS coords: -26° 3' 34.41" / +27° 50' 21.47"

Regards

Wynand de Villiers

Cyclingnews Magazine

Will update my mapmyride map asap

Nothing like making us drive to the other side of Joburg to collect nothing but a printed number that we could have printed at work.

Must admit that it was also a bit of a bummer for me. With the price of petrol these days ... that is one expensive piece of paper to go and pick up. Maybe a proper goodie bag may have soothed but that was not there also :)

Anyway back at GL in the starting line ... viewing it as a good exercise session and maybe up my seeding.

I got race packs, trust me you did not miss much. I dont really care for race packs, or pins, or cable ties. We are adults and should be able to buy our own cycling consumables. HOWEVER, as we are adults, we work. Stopping number collection at 4pm is stupid and inconsiderate. So in reality the race does not cost R350 only, it is R350 plus the travel at AA rates, PLUS the two hours I must be away from my work. So here is the bottom line:

Option one; Race + Number Collection: R350 entry + R200 Travel + R2000 loss of income to my business = R2550 Cost to me. (less taxes yeah yeah, but Im making a point)

Option two; Race and own printing: R350 entry + R4 printing costs = much less than above, and I save 2 hours in my car.

Conclusion; I see absolutely no reason why we cannot print race numbers ourselves.

I cannot do the race, simply because I cannot collect a number! How frustrating is that!? I work on the East Rand, but live in Pretoria. I would be close enough to collect an entry/number from the shop in Pretoria, but I cannot possibly get there (or any of the other collection points) during office hours.

I sent a mail to the organisers, to see if any alternative plan could be made, but no response yet...

Is the race too big to accommodate number collection and late entries early on race day?