Meintjes Wins The South African Elite Road Championships

News bot

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Surely first man over the line gets the Jersey? No argument could top that.

so who is the U23 winner then?

edit: saw the post above....still seems odd.

Edited by rock

Personally see no reason.. why he can't get both titles he just happen to be first over the line and under 23... good for him.. seriously.... the rules may say otherwise... bit of a hollow victory if there was count back and i was given a jersey in a race I was beaten in.

If the u23 and elite riders rode the same race but as diffent age groups then it its easy. First u23 over line is u23 champ. First elite over line is elite champ.

They started together, meintjes crossed the line first? What's the problem? Hope he is having a big celebration.

If the u23 and elite riders rode the same race but as diffent age groups then it its easy. First u23 over line is u23 champ. First elite over line is elite champ.

If anything i think he can hold both titles but perhaps someone else should look after the jersey..for him the U23 one that is.. cause i have never seen the winner of the first stage of tour... taking the green jersey instead of the yellow :)

Maybe i understand it wrong, but according to article no.10 , age winner gets age national champ jersey. And this is accoring to the rules for the road race.

Or can someone explain it properly?

This guy needs to be riding at the top level ALL the time.

I think he can go all the way.

If I was Garmin/BMC etc, I would be watching him very carefully.

Cycle Nation@Cycle_Nation 3h

Not the case. Was announced before the race that if an U-23 got the win, he will be SA champ. @joeycycle @Cycling_SA

They can't override the rules via a announcement the morning of the race.

You can read the rules at http://www.cyclingsa.com/App_Resources/Uploads/FILE00003138.pdf and through the document they show quite clearly that there's different categories for u23 and elite. And then article 10 is quite clear:

Article 10: Medals and National Championship Jersey

1. The winner of each age category will be eligible to win a National Championships jersey.

2. National Championships jersey will be available for a photo shoot and media presentation and a winner’s jersey will be made to the correct size and posted to the winner within 2 weeks after the event provided that details of the size and postal address are provided to the event organiser.

3. Riders in each age category will be eligible to win a gold, silver or bronze medal.

It would be like us VA and VB riding together, but if VB wins then he wins both VA and VB. Doesn't make sense that one guy (VB) can win 2 jerseys while the other (VA) only one in the same race.

But still, great ride by Louis! I think he should go overseas now. And like Lem said, CSA used to support the SA Champions to go ride overseas, but not anymore. What has CSA done for you lately?

So its fairly common (no big deal) for U23 riders to race with the elites (for example in the pro peloton) but I'm not sure its normal for the U23 riders to be able to claim the elite title (UCI Ruling says ....? anyone know for sure??).

If he can claim the elite title, can he still compete at the U23 World champs or does he have to do the Elites race.

Anudder question Darren.... Why were the elite men at SA's racing over 180 km, the same distance as the U23 men?

Look at the world champ distances, the elite men should be doing over 200 km's at least.

U23 men = 182 km

Elites = 254 km

post-182-0-35796200-1392019772_thumb.png

Surely first man over the line gets the Jersey? No argument could top that.

My thoughts exactly... Next thing people will say that Quintana shouldn't have been the TdF King of the mountain as he was best young rider and too young and so and so...

Daryl Impey: The team and I are looking into the rules regarding u23 and elite jerseys.

Now I've always supported Daryl and really do feel for him after the cruel mechanical he suffered, but he sure has been whinging a lot since then (maybe due to hanging out with a team full of Aussies lately).

This tweet is a sign of bad sportsmanship if you ask me. Imagine the second fastest rider wearing the champions jersey? Now that would be a farce.