Karoo 2 Coast 2014

JJBoth

• Replies 720
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Started cycling last year.  Was my first K2C and an awesome event - a proper mountain bike race (minus single track), fantastic views and surroundings.  Very well organized.  Was hoping to come in under 5 hours but managed 5:16.  Will just have to prep better next year for the loads of climbing.

First attempt and managed 4h17m. Was easily on track for sub4 but severe cramp set in with 35km to go. Limped home.

Tried my first K2C yesterday, my race/adventure was ended at around the 16km mark just after conquering the ou wa pad... unfortunately it was not due to a lack of preparation, well this could not really be tested, but rather due to a fellow rider being reckless, inconsiderate and to put it simple an idiot.

We were riding on the jeep track just after the 15km mark and this guy (Riding with a Merrell kit and a white Cannondale) must of felt as strong as an elite rider... He tried to pass through the middle of myself and another rider, hooking my handlebar and taking me down in the process. This reckless and inconsiderate act was the end of my race (see the result in the picture) and for him when he put his chain back on told me it was my own fault of riding slow in the right lane (I was passing people at round 28km/h) and continued...

Anyway I'll try again next year... Rant over...

What an ahole - Retard of note

Also my first K2C and my first event ever. We started in group G and got to the meeting point early to get a spot close to the front, by the time we had started moving towards the starting gate and the count down began we were in the middle of the pack, so going up the first hill we walked most of it because it was literally stop start. but after that overtaking on must of the up hills gave me a 4:58, I was hoping for a 5:00 to 5:30. So beating my prediction was great. so next year with a bit more training and a beter start point will aim for a 4:30.

Thanks to all involved for making it a pretty awesome day.

And a thought for next year, maybe include not only the free meal the night before but also a boerie roll and a ice cold Beer at the end!

Tried my first K2C yesterday, my race/adventure was ended at around the 16km mark just after conquering the ou wa pad... unfortunately it was not due to a lack of preparation, well this could not really be tested, but rather due to a fellow rider being reckless, inconsiderate and to put it simple an idiot.

We were riding on the jeep track just after the 15km mark and this guy (Riding with a Merrell kit and a white Cannondale) must of felt as strong as an elite rider... He tried to pass through the middle of myself and another rider, hooking my handlebar and taking me down in the process. This reckless and inconsiderate act was the end of my race (see the result in the picture) and for him when he put his chain back on told me it was my own fault of riding slow in the right lane (I was passing people at round 28km/h) and continued...

WTF!! You are a better man than me, i doubt that i would have been able to control my emotions.

First attempt and managed 4h17m. Was easily on track for sub4 but severe cramp set in with 35km to go. Limped home.

And you don't think the cramp was caused by anything other than bad luck to rob you of your chance to do a sub 4? Hell, if I could ride 109km at the same pace I can ride 30km I could do the Argus is 2h30. But I can't as I suffer huge lactic acid build up if I ride at a 85% plus heart rate for hours.

And cramp generally comes from lactic acid build up, doesn't it?

There is a reason only about 150 riders do a sub 4 in this race.

And you don't think the cramp was caused by anything other than bad luck to rob you of your chance to do a sub 4? Hell, if I could ride 109km at the same pace I can ride 30km I could do the Argus is 2h30. But I can't as I suffer huge lactic acid build up if I ride at a 85% plus heart rate for hours.

And cramp generally comes from lactic acid build up, doesn't it?

There is a reason only about 150 riders do a sub 4 in this race.

I've never suffered from cramp before and usually ride at a decent pace. I've switched energy drinks so I'm wondering if that may have played a part...

I've never suffered from cramp before and usually ride at a decent pace. I've switched energy drinks so I'm wondering if that may have played a part...

unlikely but not highly unlikely, I cramped too but this purely cause I was riding way out of my comfort zone for far too long.

Did you use the stuff they gave us in the goodie bag?

Myself (never cramp) and friend (hardly every cramp) were having little issues before 40km already....I had a calf that wanted to cramp and he said that both his calf were cramping nicely...and that is after we did PiketBoBerg without ANY issues in sub 5 hours.

I had a nice ride till the back of simola where I got a puncture (sidewall cut, that must have happened WAAAY earlier and only started loosing air there)

I bombed it, and stans did it's thing, up and over Simola...and booooom, pishhhh, pishhhh, pishhhh...

Bombed and 500m later pishhhh, pishhhh....

Plug and it does not want to seal....ride 150m pishhhh, pishhhh

So not I am 1/3 down the hill and no more bombs (4 done).....start walking...

Thinking, us MTB'ers are cool okes, and always greet and help each other, surely someone will help me out with a bomb or pump? I MEAN THAT IS WHAT THEY CLAIM on thehub...

No-one, stops....carry on walking....

I shout...do you have bomb please..."sorry no"

I shout...do you have pump please..."sorry no"

HUH????

Then one oke, sits up and slows down.... only to get the "go man, leave him" from the dude in his slipstream

So all of you ride without bombs or pumps......???

I hope you guys got your PB or your sub xx:xx...... :thumbdown:

You lost out on Free beer.......

bad luck. Saw a guy pushing his bike on the back wheel at the end. Must have been you. We were having a beer on the field next to the lions spot where they packed all the bags. That front wheel is MESSED UP brother

Generaal Gert, hope you have insurance on the bike, chances are that you are covered for the damage (wheels are expensive). Sad that there are pricks on the trails that think they are better (I bet the Elites are more considerate).

I was pleasantly surprised going up Ou Wapad, started in D, but I think E and F caught up quickly. Climb was slow because lots of riders dismounted to take a walk, including me. Everyone was very considerate, plenty of helping hands keeping the riders on the bikes if they go too slow or to help with a hill start.

I did enjoy the descends because the traffic was very light, I had lots of opportunity to pass other riders without startling them. Had a bit of a close call on one of the tighter turns where I almost connected another rider, but luckily I managed to keep my line.

Would love to do the race again, but I need a lot of training to get stronger on the climbs to hopefully do a sub 5.

I had a nice ride till the back of simola where I got a puncture (sidewall cut, that must have happened WAAAY earlier and only started loosing air there)

I bombed it, and stans did it's thing, up and over Simola...and booooom, pishhhh, pishhhh, pishhhh...

Bombed and 500m later pishhhh, pishhhh....

Plug and it does not want to seal....ride 150m pishhhh, pishhhh

So not I am 1/3 down the hill and no more bombs (4 done).....start walking...

Thinking, us MTB'ers are cool okes, and always greet and help each other, surely someone will help me out with a bomb or pump? I MEAN THAT IS WHAT THEY CLAIM on thehub...

No-one, stops....carry on walking....

HUH????

Then one oke, sits up and slows down.... only to get the "go man, leave him" from the dude in his slipstream

So all of you ride without bombs or pumps......???

I hope you guys got your PB or your sub xx:xx...... :thumbdown:

You lost out on Free beer.......

Carma is a BITCH. THEY WILL GET THEIR TURN SOONER OR LATER. Hope you finished though.

Archived