Riding into Strong Winds

cfcjim

Don't spin into a headwind. That is terrible advice. Don't slog a 53x11 either, but push a slightly bigger gear and stay on top of it.

I also find it easier to use a slightly heavier gear rather than spinning into a head wind.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to ride from Tokai to Cape Town and back. The south east winds blow like hell in the afternoons. It is harder to ride home into that winds. I just try to follow the truck or bus and ride hard. It works for me because I get home earlier....

Yeah, cause obviously we've only ever ridden in GP.

Ha ha, posted from my phone so couldn't get the correct smiley.

I've tried various ways, but I can't seem to get into a good rhythm when riding into the wind. On the days I commute I seem to have areas where all I can think about is the headwind and how little progress I'm making.

I always wear headphones playing music or podcasts; these serve as earplugs as the sound of the rushing wind is quite painful.

Does anyone have any tips/techniques which help with the despair of riding directly into a 20 to 25knot headwind?

HTFU is not helpful (but may be the only way)............

Don't fight the wind, let it "blow through you". Try and be calm and smooth. Be quick to gear up and down to match the gusts. Think of riding the gusts like waves. Don't try too hard to stick to your line, but let the wind dictate your position on the road a little (obviously within safe limits - give yourself a bit more space on the road in the wind. Roads with wide shoulders are good.) Don't use deep section wheels.

And for goodness' sake, DON"T wear headphones when you ride! It's way more dangerous than not wearing a helmet. The car that will hit you usually comes from behind. Your only defence is your hearing. And riding into a headwind makes it even harder to hear whats going on behind you.

Edited by openmind

Don't fight the wind, let it "blow through you". Try and be calm and smooth. Be quick to gear up and down to match the gusts. Think of riding the gusts like waves. Don't try too hard to stick to your line, but let the wind dictate your position on the road a little (obviously within safe limits - give yourself a bit more space on the road in the wind. Roads with wide shoulders are good.) Don't use deep section wheels.

And for goodness' sake, DON"T wear headphones when you ride! It's way more dangerous than not wearing a helmet. The car that will hit you usually comes from behind. Your only defence is your hearing. And riding into a headwind makes it even harder to hear whats going on behind you.

Thank you for the detailed advice. I'll certainly try the riding the waves approach.

I have to use headphones as I don't want to be deaf in ten years. I've been wearing earplugs whilst riding my motorbike for the last thirty years: a few of my mates are almost deaf or have very narrow hearing bandwidth as they've never used noise protection when riding (motorbikes and bicycles).

My hearing is still very good - better than it should be according to my GP.

The volume is set low enough so external sounds are not drowned out but the drone of the wind is interrupted

Also, looking behind, frequently or "The Lifesaver" as UK bike test and instructions call it is another and probably the best defence.

I do hear you (pun intended) and understand your qualms where headphones are concerned. Joggers are a case in point.

Sorry, slightly OT. Everyone's input is appreciated.

I just love the wind! In this flat part of the Freestate it is our only uphill! Head down slightly heavier gear and look behind you to see the suffering faces in the gutter.

What he said. I used to hate riding in the wind. It was like riding into a brick wall.

I then learnt to change my focus. But more of that later. :)

Firstly small adjustments on your body position make a big difference. When I struggle I tend to pull my shoulders up ending with my neck pulled in between my shoulders. This creates a block and it also channels the wind into the front of my body but If I relax my shoulders , I must become more aero as I immediatly can feel the change how the wind flow over my body and off my back.

With that done I also change my focus. :)

Were I used to focus on the wind blowing against my chest - giving you the feeling that you ride against a wall. I now focus on the wind blowing over my shoulders and over my back. This will give you the feeling of how you ride through the wind.

Relax, dont use to a big gear and ride a very strong headwind like you would have a hill.

I also helps to keep telling yourself how much stronger you are getting as apose to siting at home because the wind is too strong.. Wind is the weights in cycling it makes you stronger.

Easy and soon you will use the wind to your advantage. :)

I am no pro but this works for me. :)

Focus on keeping your upper body relaxed, it will naturally find a good position for you to ride at a comfortable pace. Dont fight the wind, ie try to stick to your normal gearing and struggle, unless you are deliberately aiming for a intervals in the hurtlocker. Find a gear (because wind speeds will vary) that is sustainable. If you find your top body tensing up, try to relax or drop a gear. If you out of gears, just focus on keeping your upper body relaxed as possible, and then honing that sustainable rhythm.

If its too much. Stop for a bit and recover. There's no shame in it. You will eventually get stronger.

Ride into the wind everyday and the odds some solid above given here. ...Some of it in the Pont firm below and maybe some of it not:

Relax

Get into a easy spinning gear and then one tougher

Let your mind focus on the wind blowing around your and you are flowing through it

Accept the wind fit what it is and don't resent it

Keep your momentum. If you have to push hard for a few pedal strokes to get it back up then do so.

Flow flow flow

Of Your wearing hugely baggie clothing then best wishes to you

Regarding the headphone issue, there is a surfing product which helps. It's earplugs moulded to the shape of the outer ear. It has a small uni-directional perforation to aid hearing. It's designed to limit surfer's ear - the closing of the inner ear canal due to extended and prolonged immersion in cold water. It isn't very visible, cuts out the wind chatter and still permits hearing.

No offense, but I'm not sure I'd take advise on riding in wind from someone living in Gauteng.��

Hahaha. You PE okes should know, riding into the wind should be your speciality so tell us....

I've heard guys talking about "the pocket" when riding into the wind. What is that???

I also find it easier to use a slightly heavier gear rather than spinning into a head wind.

I think for most the best would be striking a balance between pushing that heavy gear and spinning. SPinning wont get u nowhere and neither would the big gear (especially if you got small thighs)

I've tried various ways, but I can't seem to get into a good rhythm when riding into the wind. On the days I commute I seem to have areas where all I can think about is the headwind and how little progress I'm making.

I always wear headphones playing music or podcasts; these serve as earplugs as the sound of the rushing wind is quite painful.

Does anyone have any tips/techniques which help with the despair of riding directly into a 20 to 25knot headwind?

HTFU is not helpful (but may be the only way)............

dont ride in a bunch with a chronic farter