training on water only

Henley 1

LCHF thread???

any links to more on this topic on HUB and Internet?

thanx

There is huge thread right here on the Hubs Training, health and nutrition thread

https://community.bikehub.co.za/topic/125843-lchf-low-carb-high-fat-diet-ver-2/

My personal experience is that using water is ok provided your effort is of a low intensity and not continuous and you eat / drink correctly as part of your lifestyle when not training.

IMO the problem it is easy to move out of the fat burning into the glycogen burning intensity zone without realizing it and until its to late.

Another issue to be careful of is not to "loose" muscle, I'm not sure exactly how the process works but have seen it happen where muscle is lost over a long period when doing endurance training and not consuming enough energy and protein. This might be fine if you are a big strong chap already, but if you have years of endurance training behind you then chances are you don't have a lot of extra muscle or weight to loose.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Any training ride up to 3 hrs is water only with a banana or energy bar along the way. Race day is a neutral taste energy drink. Always start training or race with a bowl of porrdige or pronutro though.

You may want to also have electrolytes and branch chain amino acids (BCAA) in your water. The electrolytes to stop dehydration, the BCAA will stop muscle loss.

Not sure about 5 hr rides, but I have recently started doing this for my 2hr week day rides.

You drink on a 2hr ride ??? > seriously ?

You drink on a 2hr ride ??? > seriously ?

Could I do a 2 hr ride without having anything to drink? I'm sure I could, but I have never tried.

Is this optimal for training? I'm sure it's not.

If want to push your self to see how long you can go before you dehydrate, be my guest....

Edited by GaryvdM

Why would you want to do this? You would obviously race faster and train harder if you drink something and replaced lost energy, fluids, electrolytes, etc.

I always drink something when riding anything over 1 hour. I am not trying to loose weight, so it's just good practice.

When i started i used fit ,epicpro and the rest .It realy helped in the first 6 months .Now a few years and many miles later water and game does the same .As you get fitter and your body gets used burning glycogen and fat you will depend less on snake oils

Edited by Blitzer

I train on water only up to 4 hours. Longer than that and you need something more.

Normal Sat/Sun clubs rides will be without breakfast. If there is time I'll have a coffee.

I have switched to water only during my rides in my camel pack,

however I find that I ride for longer without cramps with just water.....if I know its going to be a 4-6 hr ride I make sure I grab some chow and a coke mid way and im alright

this works for me, but may not for some one else

I'm similar to what others have stated, in training up to 3 hours on water only and have sometimes done 2 hours without, longer i use sports drink.

hi guyp

Maybe a a bit off the topic, i ride on water only if it's around 3h or less, but for the longer rides i do a mixture of juice and water. my dillema however, I use a camelback for longer rides, and lately there is a smell/taste like someone emtied a can of doom in it. I use the approved product to clean it and it is not even 2 months old, so replacing it every 2 months is not very cost effective. i have since tried bicarbonate of soda, lemon juice and vinegar on seperate occasions, still no joy. Any advice? It seriously smells/taste awefull and i am sure it cannot be good for you. I also have the brushes to clean out the bag and piping and it is most defenitely not mouldy nor is there any residue. Its like Doom i tell you!

This might just be my imagination, but on a longish ride (say 3 hrs) on water alone, I find that every time I drink some water, it feels as if I have more energy and go in my legs within a few minutes after taking the water. huh?

possible explanation: gastric emptying rate is better on a stomach full of liquid than on an empty stomach. so, every time you drink little water, that porridge of early morning revives some energy spike for a while.

hi guyp

Maybe a a bit off the topic, i ride on water only if it's around 3h or less, but for the longer rides i do a mixture of juice and water. my dillema however, I use a camelback for longer rides, and lately there is a smell/taste like someone emtied a can of doom in it. I use the approved product to clean it and it is not even 2 months old, so replacing it every 2 months is not very cost effective. i have since tried bicarbonate of soda, lemon juice and vinegar on seperate occasions, still no joy. Any advice? It seriously smells/taste awefull and i am sure it cannot be good for you. I also have the brushes to clean out the bag and piping and it is most defenitely not mouldy nor is there any residue. Its like Doom i tell you!

I know of one method. Fill the bladder with Southern Comfort. You may then drink it. I promise, everything from then on will taste like southern comfort for at least two years, no matter what you clean it with.

my experience in this is as follow:

when you race you tend to work harder, thus you burn more energy, if you have not conditioned yourself at that level of burning you tend to take in more liquid, should you only have trained on water, you will loose electrolytes and energy a lot faster, if you take supplements during the race but haven't trained on it, your intake of liquid being higher might cause you to take in too much sugars etc. and you might become nauseous or feel such in the race, this is especially prevalent in multiple stage events.