Indoor Trainer bad for my bike?

TLK

Good day all

So I have just bought a new indoor trainer for the winter months or times that I may not be able to ride due to work.

I would just like to know if it can cause any major damage or fatigue to my road bike frame or components?

I do realise that the rear tyre will wear quicker and I have been provided with steel skewer for the rear axle.

I dont think so. Besides the obvious wear on the back tire, the rest of the components will wear as if you were doing that mileage out on the road. Hell, it might even do better as it is not exposed to the elements.

If you're going to be doing extended periods of indoor training, perhaps consider getting a spare rear tire that you can use, so as to ensure that your original tires wear evenly.

Dont use your racing tyres. Use old tyres or a trainer specific tyre.

On a IDT, I would not suggest doing hard sessions with standing etc. Frame takes too much stress then.

All IMHO

it wont do any harm, but a word of caution most IDTs have an adjustment to accomodate different width axles. Just make that adjustment is secure/locked as it can sometimes come undone. When that happens, the bike will rock to one side, and i'm pretty sure either the bike's frame or the IDT will suffer some damage eventually. Better safe than sorry.

I have the Tacx Satori, and it was the white adjustment knob that unscrewed slightly after a very long period of usage.

Would the same apply to rollers? Or are rollers not as heavy on the tyres?

rollers can chow tyres a bit. No stress on frame as it is not secured

IDT is no problem at all for the frame - lots and lots of people in America, Canada and Europe use them through their long winter. Manufacturers would have voided warranties if trainers damaged frames. I think a trainer puts less stress on a frame than the road - much lower vibration, no pot holes etc.

You also need to protect your frame and components against corrosive sweat. Outdoors it's not a big problem because the wind and sun quickly dissipate the perspiration. For indoor training, look at getting a sweat protector/thong, or at the very least throw a towel over your top tube and wipe down the bike when you're done training.

Nothing will happen to the frame. Do whatever sessions you like, hard, standing or sprints. The tire thing is very valid. My trainer chows tires. I now have a separate wheel with the blue Tacx training tire on it, it seems to last a lot better.

I took my road bike off the indoor trainer, you sweat like crazy on a idt, and it was wearing things like my seat and grips and leaving marks on the frame. Bought a really really cheap bike and put in on the trainer, dont care if I destroy that one.

Guest Latent Blue
You also need to protect your frame and components against corrosive sweat. Outdoors it's not a big problem because the wind and sun quickly dissipate the perspiration. For indoor training, look at getting a sweat protector/thong, or at the very least throw a towel over your top tube and wipe down the bike when you're done training.

I have never heard of a sweat thong? Please do share????

I have never heard of a sweat thong? Please do share

i'm sure you know what he meant, but you can't deny that 'thong' is pretty apt :P

http://images.rutlandcycling.com/images/tacx-sweat-cover.jpg?maxheight=1200

I have one of my older bikes permanently on the trainer. Use a towel over the handlebars. I also have a fan on in the room. It cools you off while riding and dry's the sweat so very little gets on your bike. Before I had the fan there was a lot of sweat on the bike and floor.