How to ride a bike 101

Uni

post-44041-0-76189700-1393509921_thumb.jpg

on a short uphill, what is the correct body position?

if i find myself not having enough room to pedal and move around, i.e. saddle in the way - am I not forward enough?

The rear end and saddle keep connecting in a bad way - if the answer is get a smaller arse - I don't want to know... any other suggestions?

i lean forward with my upperbody, and slide my backside forward on the saddle (i can't stand as my rear tire looses all grip if i do).

almost like in the pic, but my back is a lot flatter i.e. parallel to the top tube

post-38473-0-32785900-1393510393_thumb.jpg

If seated, keep your weight forward enough so your front wheel doesn't lift and your rear wheel doesn't lose traction. The steeper the climb, the narrower your window.

If standing it's much the same, although you'll automatically try to climb like a roadie with all your weight over the pedals. This will make your back wheel spin on steeper climbs and you may hump your stem if caught off guard. You'll have to move your weight backwards a bit while sort of hovering over the front of the saddle. It's hard work and makes you look a bit like you're having a poo, but it works.

If seated, keep your weight forward enough so your front wheel doesn't lift and your rear wheel doesn't lose traction. The steeper the climb, the narrower your window.

If standing it's much the same, although you'll automatically try to climb like a roadie with all your weight over the pedals. This will make your back wheel spin on steeper climbs and you may hump your stem if caught off guard. You'll have to move your weight backwards a bit while sort of hovering over the front of the saddle. It's hard work and makes you look a bit like you're having a poo, but it works.

Especially given the expression on my face when trying to go uphill...

i lean forward with my upperbody, and slide my backside forward on the saddle (i can't stand as my rear tire looses all grip if i do).

almost like in the pic, but my back is a lot flatter i.e. parallel to the top tube

post-38473-0-32785900-1393510393_thumb.jpg

I disagree with the tucked in elbows. They give you no control if it is a steep technical climb where you are fighting for grip. Elbows out will give you better control as you have more room to move the bars around to keep the front wheel on track.

I sit on the absolute tip of the saddle - yeah it feels as if the bike is jumping me (not really my scene - but whatever blows your hair back), and use wide elbows and chest right down to the stem. I learnt "proper" standing by riding S/S. It gives you a very narrow window before losing traction. Oh - and I breathe very rapidly and loud while perspiring profusely. Often my friends will actually shout encouragement from the top...

Edited by TALUS

Thanks all. I guess practice, practice and stop bring scared of falling. I tend to bail 2/3 of the way as I can't seem to keep peddling without feeling like I'm "humping the handlebar", or being humped by the saddle, or flipping.

@vetseun, I'm tired of walking my bike out of skills shortage. Been long enough I think ;)

Thanks all. I guess practice, practice and stop bring scared of falling. I tend to bail 2/3 of the way as I can't seem to keep peddling without feeling like I'm "humping the handlebar", or being humped by the saddle, or flipping.

@vetseun, I'm tired of walking my bike out of skills shortage. Been long enough I think ;)

Make sure you are engaged in a gear with enough resistance to transform your effort into forward motion.

In other words, dont choose granny gear by default because it's an uphill, spinning wildly in granny gear trying to go uphill makes you feel out of control and presents the danger of flipping over backwards.

Make sure you are engaged in a gear with enough resistance to transform your effort into forward motion.

In other words, dont choose granny gear by default because it's an uphill, spinning wildly in granny gear trying to go uphill makes you feel out of control and presents the danger of flipping over backwards.

*nodding* - yeah I do that - spinning wildly in granny gear - cool, will get out of the habit of "Oh cra*p, climb ...granny..."

I think it depends on the kind of hill you're climbing. If its got loose rocks and stones then I try and keep my backside on the saddle to give better grip on my rear wheel. If it looks like my rear wheel will get enough traction or if I can find a nice grippy line up the hill then I push my weight forward, drop a gear or two and get it over with as quickly as possible.

Edit: Watched the video after I commented... sort of what the dude says.

Edited by Catatonic_Joe