Tri cycling shorts

ycowley

I have read that tri cycling shorts are far more comfortable (i.e. less chaffing) than normal cycling shorts (this for mountain biking, spinning, etc). Is this true?

Tri shorts are designed with a much thinner chamois so that there is

a) little to no water absorption during the swim

b) more comfort for the run leg of triathlon

So it is in general a lightweight chamois that I probably wouldn't want to do a long or multistage mountain bike race in.

That said I have done 3 full Ironman races in Orca tri-shorts and have never felt any discomfort.

You mention chaffing, if your regular cycle shorts are chaffing then they might not be the correct size as this indicates there is more movement than there should be or the shorts just don't suit your body shape.

There is also definitely merit in purchasing a really good quality pair of shorts, unfortunately this generally translates to a slightly larger price tag.

Chamois cream is always a great help on any pair of shorts too.

I have read that tri cycling shorts are far more comfortable (i.e. less chaffing) than normal cycling shorts (this for mountain biking, spinning, etc). Is this true?

I cycled two weeks ago for the first time in a tri-suit and was pleasantly surprised. I have been thinking about changing my saddle as it just wasn't comfortable even with top of the range shorts. Rode for 1 1/2 hours in the Tri-suit and found it extremely comfortable on the same saddle! No chafing at all.

I cycled two weeks ago for the first time in a tri-suit and was pleasantly surprised. I have been thinking about changing my saddle as it just wasn't comfortable even with top of the range shorts. Rode for 1 1/2 hours in the Tri-suit and found it extremely comfortable on the same saddle! No chafing at all.

I was looking at a pair the other day and said to the wife "I wonder how comfortable these would be on a 6 hour ride"...

Do people really do IM distances with those type of shorts?

All though.... I recall riding the Durban Ultra (+/-120km) in a speedo once :blush: at least it was a tri speedo with a shammy :blush: :blush:

I would say that this is, in general, not true. Shorts are designed for different purposes, nothing can beat a good pair of cycling bib shorts for longer road and mtb rides. Tri shorts are a bit thin for mtb, although I have done plenty of offroad tri's in them, but they do lack a bit of padding. I do agree that they are probably good for spinning because of the thin chamois which is pretty comfy and will soak up less sweat than conventional bike shorts. But tri shorts tent to be a bit more pricey than some cheap bike shorts, which has always put me off using my tri shorts in the spinning class

• 2 weeks later...

I use Compressport tri shorts, comfy and I don't change shorts over half and full IM distance events.

My 2XU compression full piece tri suit knocks all my bibs out the park. My bibs range from mid to top level - aka R2k shorts. It is thinner, but I recently did a 154km ride and NO pain or chaffing. I would recommend a quality brand though. I have had 2 2XU compression suit and have no complaints