Cyclist airlifted out of Tokai

NixM

Hi singlespeedGuy. I have to say that while I agree that it's a dangerous sport, what's the point in making it unnecessarily so? While everyone needs to accept they can get hurt while riding Tokai, I don't see any point in leaving dangerous obstacles where possible. How are your skills improved when there are dangerous tree stumps or sharp branches next to the trails? This is not to "dis" the trail builders - they do a great job - but perhaps trails for Hard-core riders can be designated as so and those for people like me who want a testing ride without the risk of being skewered can go and find one.

I think the line needs to be drawn somewhere though. Trails with drops on the side of them cant get safety nets, so while the trails can be kept clean (ish) of debris and kept in a decent, non washed out state, to clear areas off the trail is starting to blur the line. We creal 1m on either side, then 1m more just in case you get the corner wrong.

I know its a tough line to take, but seriously, the trails in Tokai are not dangerous. There are trails like boulders, failry garden, lizard.... All those are friendly and easy. Blue gums is not dangerous and even Vasbyt had been so well maintained all the way to your roots and my roots that the most dangerous thing about them at the moment is the sandy dryness.

The fact that 1st time MTBers can (and have) ridden these entire sections with me up and down shows how rideable they are.

Yes, some of them walk the top rooty bit at the berm or the top contour of Cobra, but they get off and walk, have a look see and try again next time or ride the same section 5 times at once.

I dont know. Maybe Im wrong, but the dangers are there and learning to control your bike is paramount. Taking unnecessary risks is also a tough one and in this sport instant gratitude is not an option.

If all the trails were made to a level, there will always be some element of the riding world left uncatered for.

Build your skills, build your confidence and ride what you are comfortable riding. After time you too will be able to ride the whole of Tokai. Dont get me wrong, I am still afraid of losing my eye or gashing my leg if I get it wrong. Riding in cotton wool or feeling completely comfortable is not good for your development....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi singlespeedGuy. I have to say that while I agree that it's a dangerous sport, what's the point in making it unnecessarily so? While everyone needs to accept they can get hurt while riding Tokai, I don't see any point in leaving dangerous obstacles where possible. How are your skills improved when there are dangerous tree stumps or sharp branches next to the trails? This is not to "dis" the trail builders - they do a great job - but perhaps trails for Hard-core riders can be designated as so and those for people like me who want a testing ride without the risk of being skewered can go and find one.

I'm still trying to picture how the incident occurred as that trail is basically paved, especially at that point.

Possibly a bit too much speed and went off trail? Just speculating here.

I'm still trying to picture how the incident occurred as that trail is basically paved, especially at that point.

I know.... Most bad incidents at Tokai happen on the Jeep track sections. I have pulled a lot of cut up bruised and damaged collar bone folk out of the ditches going down the widy jeep track from the top contour path to where boulders starts. Guys get up a head of speed and just lose it on the loose stuff....

Same as the tar road at the mast. Speed and overconfidence catches up with people.

The single track claims far less serious victims as the speed never really get up AND you concentrate more.

Obviously the DH guys hitting the road gap and the big hip jumps etc put themselves in danger as well, but as with everything, that is their choice so again, it comes down to choice and your own mistakes.

A lot of guys come short

I know.... Most bad incidents at Tokai happen on the Jeep track sections. I have pulled a lot of cut up bruised and damaged collar bone folk out of the ditches going down the widy jeep track from the top contour path to where boulders starts. Guys get up a head of speed and just lose it on the loose stuff....

Same as the tar road at the mast. Speed and overconfidence catches up with people.

The single track claims far less serious victims as the speed never really get up AND you concentrate more.

Obviously the DH guys hitting the road gap and the big hip jumps etc put themselves in danger as well, but as with everything, that is their choice so again, it comes down to choice and your own mistakes.

A lot of guys come short

One of my neighbours is friends with the guy, I'll see if he can find out what happened.

Just watched a video of me and HHH riding that trail. You carry speed off Cobra and enter Mamba. Shortly after that is a massive stump (ex tree :-( ) that the trail ducks to the right around. If you aren't concentrating properly or lose control when you brake to get around the short right hander, it is waiting for you. By the sound of it he hit the stump at speed and went OTB on his head. Not great.

I just really hope we are not all raising money for another wheelchair this time round regardless of the situation.

It is tragic and sterkte to the family.

I always read these threads and think how it so easily could be me or someone close to me as we bomb down there with absolutely no regard for the consequences.

Holding thumbs we have a few positive answers to the outcome and despite what appears will be a lengthy recovery, the injured party will be back up there conquering the fear again.

Just watched a video of me and HHH riding that trail. You carry speed off Cobra and enter Mamba. Shortly after that is a massive stump (ex tree :-( ) that the trail ducks to the right around. If you aren't concentrating properly or lose control when you brake to get around the short right hander, it is waiting for you. By the sound of it he hit the stump at speed and went OTB on his head. Not great.

Ja dude. I think that's the only place a tree is there... but then there were plans to make that into a jump so that you could launch Over the switchback on to the straight again.

Saying that - that used to be a tree. If he had made the same mistake in the old trail he would have hugged it. Same place, different obstacle. And he would have had to have been going a helluva pace to get it wrong. It's still off the trail and is in keeping with the technicality we all want from the Trails.

What I'm saying is that if he got it wrong now he would have gotten it wrong then. And maybe it would have been worse when there were trees there as there would have been something else to smash into (the tree on the other side of the trail)

We can't pave everything. We also can't remove all the stumps (as tim rightly said there are thousands of them) as it would be a helluva exercise and would remove a large portion of stabilising root structures.

But then this seems to be a freak accident. Too fast into the corner and wham. The same thing could have happened anywhere.

Im trying to picture just where it could go that wrong on that section, possibly just a really unlucky fall?

maybe i've missed it, but when we getting details on exactly what happened, and the actual condition of the MTBer?

Im trying to picture just where it could go that wrong on that section, possibly just a really unlucky fall?

The only place I can think if is where Headshot highlighted - that first right hander in mamba has a tree stump On the outer edge. It doesn't encroach, but if you don't turn to take the corner you will hit it.

The only place I can think if is where Headshot highlighted - that first right hander in mamba has a tree stump On the outer edge. It doesn't encroach, but if you don't turn to take the corner you will hit it.

Makes sense.

Its a thin line between "wahoo" and "is there a doctor in the house".

I was in no way blaming the trail for the incident - that corner was always there albeit with a tree to mark the spot. Thing is trees do stand out rather well, whereas stumps lie low and nail you. I have had my fair share of run ins over the years. A jump off that stump would be a good way to use it to our advantage.

Years ago I witnessed a crash on the jeep track from the neck as we rode up. The guy lost it round a corner and flew head first into a pine tree. He and his bike ended up meters down the slope. Lets just say he lived but his head wound was not pretty...They sent a heli for him too.

Lets face it - MTB can be dangerous - that' s part of what makes it fun.

I'd go so far as to suggest that any fall ending in an airlift is unlucky... but generally the ones that hurt the most are the ones you don't see coming.

I was in no way blaming the trail for the incident - that corner was always there albeit with a tree to mark the spot. Thing is trees do stand out rather well, whereas stumps lie low and nail you. I have had my fair share of run ins over the years. A jump off that stump would be a good way to use it to our advantage.

Years ago I witnessed a crash on the jeep track from the neck as we rode up. The guy lost it round a corner and flew head first into a pine tree. He and his bike ended up meters down the slope. Lets just say he lived but his head wound was not pretty...They sent a heli for him too.

Lets face it - MTB can be dangerous - that' s part of what makes it fun.

Yeah Tim, not saying you are. My reply was so that others didn't jump on that potential wagon. Besides - I think you (and I) hold so much real estate up there its ridiculous..m