Mugging on Smitswinkle this morning (2 March)

saeley

I was mugged very early this morning, guy jumped out a bush while I was going up, push my bike so I feel over, pulled a knife and said he wanted my stuff, luckily I didnt have my cell but he got cash and an iPod, then ran cross the road to a parked red car. Was pretty shaken so dont remember much else, thanks to the cyclist that arrived just after and helped me. A lesson to myself, dont ride alone even on weekends when you think it might be busy.

Eish. Sorry to hear of your ordeal. Good thing it was'nt worse. Lesson to all not to ride alone in those remote places. This really pisses me off.

Edited by Cippo

OP: glad you are ok. Bit of a rough lesson to learn.

i would have hoped that given the rash of bicycle related thefts and the fact ppl are clocking up the early morning miles in the run up to the biggest cycling event in teh western cape, the cops would've kept up a mobile presence along certain routes. While I do appreciate they have limited numbers to deal with a very large and increasing criminal presence, some mitigation would be nice :(

Also, does anyone know who the guys were along the route from smitties to slanghoek that were sitting roadside with walkietalkies?

Really sorry to hear what happened to you and glad that no body harm came to you.

Clearly they know its peak season or that time of the year when there are more cyclists on the road and therefore target riders. Like Lexx said, police or some Vigilante or neighborhood watch in the hot spots!

Also, does anyone know who the guys were along the route from smitties to slanghoek that were sitting roadside with walkietalkies?

I think they're baboon monitors (and others doing research on the baboons).

I think they're baboon monitors (and others doing research on the baboons).

interesting, thanks!

this is terrible, we rode up there yesterday (first time for me in years) and I just was remarking how beautiful it is, glad to hear you're ok though.

Lesley, sorry to hear of your ordeal.

Makes me so frustrated, "We" are basicaly helpless cannonfodder.

Hi saeley sorry to hear about your ordeal

What time was this? We did this route this am. Very early. Was it perhaps a mazda 323 single occupant?

This has to stop, the incident with Simon now you in the same week. What is going on???

Glad you okay though.

I went through there this morning around 9.30 - saw nothing untoward. But the antennae were on high alert, given the recent incidents.

It's time we took back the roads and eradicated these scum. Perfect opportunity for PPA to fulfil its mandate, wouldn't you say? Not to mention the police, local councillor and Sanparks... anybody out there listening?