Momentum 94.7 Cycle Challenge 2014

GaryvdM

will all that road construction etc around, take extra tubes...

G

I recon MTB cleats and shoes are the way to go.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What about the food area and beer tent??? Is it on the grass or sand or mud ???

I saw photos from the kiddies challenge - seems to be a grassy area, but not sure how much though.

Ride a second lap, then the grass/no grass won't matter  :whistling:

What about the food area and beer tent??? Is it on the grass or sand or mud ???

Grass. I am not sure how it will hold up but grass for now.

Did my first road race this weekend for the year. All I can say is: cheers sub 3, it was good seeing you *waves*

Did my first road race this weekend for the year. All I can say is: cheers sub 3, it was good seeing you *waves*

Why man, why ?

Very possible. If you don't go that way ask her to drive down main rd past the prison at the next traffic light turn left. This will take you all the way to summit college. Go straight past the college on the sand road. You are now at riversands. Very little traffic this way. They are very busy with the roads on William Nicol I reckon they will open both sides for the race 3 lanes either side so take your pick.

Leaving the kiddies race on Saturday along zinnia road i saw that the entrance you are talking about is the VIP entrance. Don't count on that being an option. 

Why man, why ?

Legs are there, but lungs are not. I have not done much high intensity training to improve the cardio. We will see, I just need to find the sweet spot like I did this weekend, then lungs should be fine.

. They are very busy with the roads on William Nicol I reckon they will open both sides for the race 3 lanes either side so take your pick.

I agree with 3 lanes being  an option, concerned about the section at Dainfern. Soil is compacted and pre tar has been placed. If they guys pull finger it is entirely possible the full section from Leaping Frog will be open down to the river.

Will not fix the queue getting out though towards fourways after the race. Unless they open up the start chutes area as another exit route towards the N1 at New Road around 11 am, as  everyone will be at Kyalami by then....

Maybe, just maybe.....

I know there is some panic about traffic on Sunday but there has been some major planning around traffic for specifically for Sunday. I am sure it wont be perfect but I think its going to be better than most people are expecting.

For the MTB they changed from 350 to 250 and group split times at 15min, worked well.

G

On a slightly different congestion note, what are the group sizes towards the front? A, B, C etc?

Really looking forward to Sunday, but will be taking some precautions. Parked in the purple parking for the MTB and while it isn't pure dust, there's a lot of unfriendly vegetation:

post-30363-0-96258600-1415613669_thumb.jpg

Pulled about five of these out of my tyres at the start of the MTB and a load more out of my shoes and tyres when I got back to the car. The sample in the picture came out of one of my shoes - plenty of life left...

Since even Gatorskins won't stand up to this, I considered some options:

1. Wear slops and carry the bike to the start, put slops in Camelback and put shoes on.
  2. Get cleat covers and carry the bike.
  3. Put SPD's on the bike and wear mtb shoes - carry the bike.
  4. Put slime in road bike tubes (not keen).
  5. Ride the mountain bike.

Probably go with option 3.

Please be aware of the thorns - expect to see plenty punctures before the start. 

Really looking forward to Sunday, but will be taking some precautions. Parked in the purple parking for the MTB and while it isn't pure dust, there's a lot of unfriendly vegetation:

attachicon.gifpassenger.JPG

Pulled about five of these out of my tyres at the start of the MTB and a load more out of my shoes and tyres when I got back to the car. The sample in the picture came out of one of my shoes - plenty of life left...

Since even Gatorskins won't stand up to this, I considered some options:

1. Wear slops and carry the bike to the start, put slops in Camelback and put shoes on.
  2. Get cleat covers and carry the bike.
  3. Put SPD's on the bike and wear mtb shoes - carry the bike.
  4. Put slime in road bike tubes (not keen).
  5. Ride the mountain bike.

Probably go with option 3.

Please be aware of the thorns - expect to see plenty punctures before the start. 

How far is the walk to the nearest road? Is it really that far that you don't want to wear your road shoes?

How far is the walk to the nearest road? Is it really that far that you don't want to wear your road shoes?

Probably 400 meters at least to the start (not really road...) - no idea how the other parking looks. I got there at about 07:10 and the purple was pretty full.

Archived